Best fish and chips in town?

The Dancer

So which is the best chippy in town? I've had the cod from Fish and Ship and Black Swan. Both very good, fish seemed fresh and the batter not overdone. BS is a bit pricey though. F&S at 240b for a nice thick slab of cod and mid-size serving of chips seems a good deal.

Others?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if F&S is the same place but I quite like the Fish and Chip shop on Soi Sukhumvit 23 opposite Jasmine Tower. 240 baht. Couple of time I've found the batter a bit thick and heavy and the chips are always from those waxy potatoes that have that slightly rubbery texture. I wouldn't say it's the best, maybe best available in that vicinity.

I'm not sure if F&S is the same place but I quite like the Fish and Chip shop on Soi Sukhumvit 23 opposite Jasmine Tower. 240 baht. Couple of time I've found the batter a bit thick and heavy and the chips are always from those waxy potatoes that have that slightly rubbery texture. I wouldn't say it's the best, maybe best available in that vicinity.

they used to have pretty decent chips - for bkk - but went recently and they were using flavourless and strange textured potatoes. still it's better than frozen chips.

Snapper by Cheap Charlies off Suk Soi 11.

Snapper does nice food, but it's not really proper fish and chips as the Brits understand it.

Battered fish served with chips seems a pretty close thing.

To be fair in my opinion its the best you will get in Bangkok but I'll admit I haven't been looking too hard.

Give me steamed or grilled fish in Bangkok any time over that greasy mess.

sizzler do a great tasting cod and chips.

Sizzler use cod???? I think you will find they use a thin slice of catfish heavily crumbed. I had one last week, lunch time special. It was disgusting.

Yes they do , look in the menu, atlantic cod and chips, superb, real cod not some cheap lunchtime special?

Snapper by Cheap Charlies off Suk Soi 11.

Snapper does nice food, but it's not really proper fish and chips as the Brits understand it.

Battered fish served with chips seems a pretty close thing.

To be fair in my opinion its the best you will get in Bangkok but I'll admit I haven't been looking too hard.

Give me steamed or grilled fish in Bangkok any time over that greasy mess.

I can see why you'd think that, but a proper chippy is a whole different ball game. I've never come across anything close. That place on Soi 23 kind of looks a bit like a real chip shop, but to be frank I don't think I want to eat anything cooked that close to Soi Cowboy.

.........That place on Soi 23 kind of looks a bit like a real chip shop........

And, aside from the malt vinegar, that's where the similarity ends 5555.

The batter on the fish is quite heavy and absorbs a lot of oil. The chips (and bear in mind you only get about 8 of them!!) are pre-fried (as they are in many chip shops) but they seem to screw the process up there. Add the very waxy texture of the potatoes they use into the mix and the chips are about 2 out of 10.

I thought that place has gone downhill -if possible- since the English guy sold it on to the Thais. Looks nicer but portions are noticeably smaller and staff didn't know what they were doing.

The devil is in the details as they say.

Like I said, I like the food at Snapper. But it doesn't help with the craving for proper fish'n'chips.

What then is this "proper fish n chips"?

Served in a wrapper on a freezing cold night after a few pints and eaten on the way home?

What I posted above can be taken away in a wrapper as well and is one of the best examples you'll find in the London area.

You have ruined my day, I was going over the road for Khao Man Gai for a light lunch,but after that photo.......... Ah well next week off to Pattaya for five days followed by two or three in Bangkok and I know what I'll be eating.

Perhaps not the "best" but maybe the best deal for hungry farang might be Hooters all you can eat fish and chips offer on Frydays:

http://www.hootersbangkok.com/promotion.php

SL

Looks a good deal. Like you say, you'd need to be hungry!! Not sure about the all you can eat Nachos deal. I think I'd pass out or throw up before I could eat 800฿ worth of Nachos 555.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived