Best fish and chips in town?

The Dancer

I even stopped eating fish and chips in BKK, it's only fried batter and even Sizzlers gives a very lousy piece for 269 baht.

I don't know where to eat good fish and chips in BKK, it has to be fresh fish (not frozen) with good chips and nice sauce. That's very rare in Thailand.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've noted some commentary relating to 'fish an' chips' being unhealthy. Generalisation alas. The source and how it is cooked is my response. For the uniformed, fish, per se,is healthy. Lots of misdescriptions on menus abound, for sure, however on the basis that you are consuming ocean reef or pelagics you can't lose either in taste or health benefits. Lots of folk only imagine fish as deep fried in batter - wrong. (Some batters okay, for sure). One can steam, stir fry, shallow fry, grill (my favourite) - for the right fish. Ah, the oil, be selective, the heat, don't overcook, the flavour - fillets not-to-thick. Shan't go on. I have no business association with Snappers restaurant ) Soi 11 but enjoy a great selection of seafood. You pay for it but I only visit Bangers from the NEast 4 times a year. You know the origin of the seafood (my belief). Pissed off they aren't open for lunch tomorrow.........nothing wrong with spuds either - anywhere. Enjoy.

sizzler do a great tasting cod and chips.

Kidding, right? Even in America, Sizzler is a joke, trailer trash food. Best fish & chips is impossible to say but guessing country of origin. Thailand, still haven't found & the foreigner restaurants are worse at international food than the Thais in larger cities, but everywhere seems even the small cities' foreigners can't even make Italian. Bangkok is the worst "all" food in the country. Would say, best international food goes to Chiang Mai & best sea food goes to the south...Krabi region (although one of the most polluted regions), excluding Phuket.

Kidding, right? Even in America, Sizzler is a joke, trailer trash food. Best fish & chips is impossible to say but guessing country of origin. Thailand, still haven't found & the foreigner restaurants are worse at international food than the Thais in larger cities, but everywhere seems even the small cities' foreigners can't even make Italian. Bangkok is the worst "all" food in the country. Would say, best international food goes to Chiang Mai & best sea food goes to the south...Krabi region (although one of the most polluted regions), excluding Phuket.

Yes they do fantastic cod and chips, try it before you make such a stupid comment! Every thing in America is a joke?

Yes they do fantastic cod and chips, try it before you make such a stupid comment! Every thing in America is a joke?

Agreed. But saying a fast food franchise has the best 'anything' makes you look like trailer trash saying, "I eat Spam, because it tastes good".

I once ordered fish and chips in Sizzlers and it was horrible.

Only one time in Thailand i had supergood fish and chips and that was at "the Deck" in Chaweng koh Samui.

But last weekend i noticed nice dory fish fillets in Tops...real fillets, no skin or bones. I battered and deepfried them and that was great. They also had other fillets i'm gonna try soon.

But for good fish and chips in BKK i have no idea. There are good chips around, also plenty of fish but nobody can cook it well it seems.

Agreed. But saying a fast food franchise has the best 'anything' makes you look like trailer trash saying, "I eat Spam, because it tastes good".

clearly you know about trailer trash?

Only one time in Thailand i had supergood fish and chips and that was at "the Deck" in Chaweng koh Samui.

But last weekend i noticed nice dory fish fillets in Tops...real fillets, no skin or bones. I battered and deepfried them and that was great. They also had other fillets i'm gonna try soon.

But for good fish and chips in BKK i have no idea. There are good chips around, also plenty of fish but nobody can cook it well it seems.

yes the basic doree and chips are awful as they are everywhere here, how ever the cod and chips is very good, try it before making stupid comments?

yes the basic doree and chips are awful as they are everywhere here, how ever the cod and chips is very good, try it before making stupid comments?

Do you mean they have cod and chips on the menu in Sizzlers? Frozen cod i guess ?

I've never seen it, must be new then but the normal deep fried fish in Sizzlers is terrible. Aussie chopped steak is much better.

it doesn't taste good it tastes great. fried slice of spam on bread with mayo. doesn't get better

Do you mean they have cod and chips on the menu in Sizzlers? Frozen cod i guess ?

I've never seen it, must be new then but the normal deep fried fish in Sizzlers is terrible. Aussie chopped steak is much better.

has been on the menu for years, of course it is frozen, same as the aussie steaks are frozen.

has been on the menu for years, of course it is frozen, same as the aussie steaks are frozen.

It's too confusing writing to you mate.

Fresh dory fillet from Tops is great for me.

Deepfried fishfillet in Sizzlers (for 259 baht or so) is really bad.

In Europe we eat deepfried fresh cod fillet, that's awesome.

Bus stop beer garden, Soi nana. The lady that runs the place worked/owned a fish n chip shop is Perth, Australia for years. She knows how to cook fish n chips!

+1, Consistently good and reasonably priced.

Did the fish & chip place on Koh Sarn Rd., "Oh My Cod" close down? They were good but pricy.

Em quartier has a superb fish and chip shop. Been back twice

Thanks for the tip, i've been there today and it was great!

I even had been to EMquartier twice and never seen those spiral stairs with all those super restaurants. I immediatly felt home there, what a great looking restaurants. Also those gardens at the 15th? floor are awesome. I give them all a 10 out of 10 which is very hard to get from me.

The fish and chips were great, i also had a scottish egg for the 1st time in my life and also that was great. It came with pickled onions and something i couldn't define.

But i didn't understand why we got a bowl of stinky vinegar with the meal.

The waiters were phillipino girls who spoke fluent english!! thumbsup.gif

EMquartier is head and shoulders above every other mall i 've ever visited. The architekt who designed this is my new hero.

This really is a huge improvement for Bangkok.

The fish and chips place is called Jason and Mulwow? and it's on the top of the spiral stairs. One floor under the roof.

Bus stop beer garden, Soi nana. The lady that runs the place worked/owned a fish n chip shop is Perth, Australia for years. She knows how to cook fish n chips!

Did the fish & chip place on Koh Sarn Rd., "Oh My Cod" close down? They were good but pricy.

Closed in 2013. I used to like it there too.

Closed in 2013. I used to like it there too.

Sorry edited my post, misread the previous quote. Thought you were saying bus stop has closed. I assume your referring to the place on Koh Sarn rd

I can see why you'd think that, but a proper chippy is a whole different ball game. I've never come across anything close. That place on Soi 23 kind of looks a bit like a real chip shop, but to be frank I don't think I want to eat anything cooked that close to Soi Cowboy.

Yeah I've never found anything that resembled a proper chippy in Thailand.

I love chippy food but I don't eat fish. Give me pies, batter sausages, deep fat fried burgers, puddings etc any day...and they just can't get that right here if you can get it at all IME.

I went to the one on Soi 23 about 3 years ago. Was served a hot dog sausage (no batter) with french fries and cold beans.

Didn't plan to go there again but earlier this year noticed it had been done up, looked more modern, and saw some of the food being cooked and it looked more like the real deal so gave it a second shot.

Huge improvement. Actual chips though not quite the same as the chippy back home and a battered Cumberland sausage if I remember right, with mushy peas. Not bad for Thailand (peas weren't great though) and not expensive either.

If I had a real craving again I might go but not going to be a regular visitor. Location plays a factor in that too. Not a fan of the area.

I have tried quite a few Fish and Chips here. My two favourites are the one in the Emquartier and I will probably get some stick for this one,

but I think the one in Roadhouse in Patpong is very good. I have tried most of the Brit Pubs but think Roadhouse which is American does

better.

Em quartier has a superb fish and chip shop. Been back twice

Thanks for the tip, i've been there today and it was great!

I even had been to EMquartier twice and never seen those spiral stairs with all those super restaurants. I immediatly felt home there, what a great looking restaurants. Also those gardens at the 15th? floor are awesome. I give them all a 10 out of 10 which is very hard to get from me.

The fish and chips were great, i also had a scottish egg for the 1st time in my life and also that was great. It came with pickled onions and something i couldn't define.

But i didn't understand why we got a bowl of stinky vinegar with the meal.

The waiters were phillipino girls who spoke fluent english!! thumbsup.gif

EMquartier is head and shoulders above every other mall i 've ever visited. The architekt who designed this is my new hero.

This really is a huge improvement for Bangkok.

The fish and chips place is called Jason and Mulwow? and it's on the top of the spiral stairs. One floor under the roof.

Jones and Mowlem.

The inspiration for the spiral architecture came from The Frank Lloyd Wright Building, which is part of The Guggenheim Museum.

fishnchips.jpg

This is the offering at Superfish in Surrey, just to give an idea of what Soi Biker is likely talking about....and no I've always had a mug of tea with it honest!

looks alot like what you get at snapper.
What no Tar Tar sauce....-1 for that

They give a small pot on request. None of your sachet rubbish there.

Well spotted BTW!

Archived