Best fish and chips in town?

The Dancer

I'm not sure if F&S is the same place but I quite like the Fish and Chip shop on Soi Sukhumvit 23 opposite Jasmine Tower. 240 baht. Couple of time I've found the batter a bit thick and heavy and the chips are always from those waxy potatoes that have that slightly rubbery texture. I wouldn't say it's the best, maybe best available in that vicinity.

I thought that place has gone downhill -if possible- since the English guy sold it on to the Thais. Looks nicer but portions are noticeably smaller and staff didn't know what they were doing.

Yes, the portions are smaller, especially the beans and peas and the cost is an overpriced 50Bt per portion. It was really good when the English guy had it,

but it has really gone downhill since.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why you'd think that, but a proper chippy is a whole different ball game. I've never come across anything close. That place on Soi 23 kind of looks a bit like a real chip shop, but to be frank I don't think I want to eat anything cooked that close to Soi Cowboy.

Yeah I've never found anything that resembled a proper chippy in Thailand.

I love chippy food but I don't eat fish. Give me pies, batter sausages, deep fat fried burgers, puddings etc any day...and they just can't get that right here if you can get it at all IME.

I went to the one on Soi 23 about 3 years ago. Was served a hot dog sausage (no batter) with french fries and cold beans.

Didn't plan to go there again but earlier this year noticed it had been done up, looked more modern, and saw some of the food being cooked and it looked more like the real deal so gave it a second shot.

Huge improvement. Actual chips though not quite the same as the chippy back home and a battered Cumberland sausage if I remember right, with mushy peas. Not bad for Thailand (peas weren't great though) and not expensive either.

If I had a real craving again I might go but not going to be a regular visitor. Location plays a factor in that too. Not a fan of the area.

Not expensive???? 50Bt for a small portion of beans or peas. I say it is ridiculous.sad.png

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Jones & Mowlem at Emquartier today to try their fish and chips, having not had any for quite a long time. I'm not a Brit, but I've eaten fish and chips in Britain many times, and totally unrelated to that tongue.png , I consider myself a decent judge of food.

On their fish and chips menu, they originally had 4 or so different kinds of fish available, but two of those choices are now crossed out (the manager said those varieties aren't available for the time being), so you're left with the choice between the unspecified "Catch of the Day" and Cod, which my waitress said is sourced from the U.S.

I ordered the two-piece set of cod with their version of french fries and peas. Menu price 340b++. Also ordered a bowl of New England (white) clam chowder for menu price of 185b++ -- though in both instances, I was paying 35% off the regular price with an Eatigo.com discount.

Overall, the service was very good and attentive. Without me having to specifically dictate it, my soup arrived first and my fish and chips arrived only after I had finished my soup. The soup arrived piping hot, and the fish arrived hot when it came as well. The front manager there seem to be a Filipino guy based on his accent, and he and the waitresses were very accommodating.

I thought the chowder was delicious, very flavorful, but not too thick and goopy. I thought the fish itself was good, although I wasn't overly excited about the flavor of the batter. And the french fries, while they also arrived hot, had the taste and mouth feel of having been cooked from frozen.

All in all, not a bad place for fish and chips, but not one I'm over the moon about. Even with my 35% discount, my lunch bill came to about 470b for one person. The bill would have been about 650b without it.

PS - One curious thing: Before I went, I read the reviews of the place on TripAdvisor, where these days they seem to order people's comments based on their number of posted reviews there, thus those with the most posted reviews have their comments at the top. Of the comments for Jones and Mowlem, most of the more active reviewers tended to pan the place, including Brits who weren't impressed by their F&C. Whereas a lot of the more glowing reviews came from people who had only posted a couple restaurant reviews on the site.

post-58284-0-29885200-1453474062_thumb.j post-58284-0-26776500-1453474080_thumb.j

The size of the portion is of little concern.

To me to not serve proper chips is criminal.

John you might remember my review of the burger at El Gaucho...those chips look the same.

Places selling expensive food and not taking proper care of the details are immediately struck off my list.

Thanks for the warning.

In order to remain positive but as I don't eat much fish and chips and in the absence of any other food threads here's a cracking dinner for you.

Lamb stew at Harvest on Suk Soi 31....500 Baht and sensational.

Off topic but in a very good way...trust me.

The size of the portion is of little concern.

To me to not serve proper chips is criminal.

John you might remember my review of the burger at El Gaucho...those chips look the same.

Places selling expensive food and not taking proper care of the details are immediately struck off my list.

Thanks for the warning.

I have never been more disappointed in a meal than I was at el gaucho last week. I pictured a 2" juicy rib eye and what i got was nothing like that. a 1/2" [ieve of meat on a plate, no garnishings, not colour just a thin grisly piece of something

Best fish and chips---Comes from my kitchen.......

There's always one.

Make you right, and their golden rool wen it cums to cooking is usually, a little bit of carbon never hurt anyone.

N e way, will stick with my recommendations that Cafe Fish and the place i mentioned but cannot remember the name of off Soi Convent are the best. This comes frrom a fish and chip addict, if having to satisfy a craving once a week can be called that.

Not really off topic, but out of town; if u r ever in Pattaya, Everyday is Fryday in Pattaya New Plaza offers the best F and C plus value I've come across here.

Worth a trip to the beach town for it alone.

Went to Jones & Mowlem at Emquartier today to try their fish and chips, having not had any for quite a long time. I'm not a Brit, but I've eaten fish and chips in Britain many times, and totally unrelated to that tongue.png , I consider myself a decent judge of food.

On their fish and chips menu, they originally had 4 or so different kinds of fish available, but two of those choices are now crossed out (the manager said those varieties aren't available for the time being), so you're left with the choice between the unspecified "Catch of the Day" and Cod, which my waitress said is sourced from the U.S.

I ordered the two-piece set of cod with their version of french fries and peas. Menu price 340b++. Also ordered a bowl of New England (white) clam chowder for menu price of 185b++ -- though in both instances, I was paying 35% off the regular price with an Eatigo.com discount.

Overall, the service was very good and attentive. Without me having to specifically dictate it, my soup arrived first and my fish and chips arrived only after I had finished my soup. The soup arrived piping hot, and the fish arrived hot when it came as well. The front manager there seem to be a Filipino guy based on his accent, and he and the waitresses were very accommodating.

I thought the chowder was delicious, very flavorful, but not too thick and goopy. I thought the fish itself was good, although I wasn't overly excited about the flavor of the batter. And the french fries, while they also arrived hot, had the taste and mouth feel of having been cooked from frozen.

All in all, not a bad place for fish and chips, but not one I'm over the moon about. Even with my 35% discount, my lunch bill came to about 470b for one person. The bill would have been about 650b without it.

PS - One curious thing: Before I went, I read the reviews of the place on TripAdvisor, where these days they seem to order people's comments based on their number of posted reviews there, thus those with the most posted reviews have their comments at the top. Of the comments for Jones and Mowlem, most of the more active reviewers tended to pan the place, including Brits who weren't impressed by their F&C. Whereas a lot of the more glowing reviews came from people who had only posted a couple restaurant reviews on the site.

attachicon.gif2016-01-22 15.12.18.jpg attachicon.gif2016-01-22 15.17.53.jpg

i eat there also when I go to bkk. I like it. also try crab and claw who claim its New England seafood. pretty close but close only. I had clam chowder to start and a fried oyster sandwich. pretty nice.

I also ate at Jones and Mowlem yesterday, it was sure not bad but also not supergood. I missed something flavourwise. The chips were dry and i needed more sauce. The fish was tasteless, it was catch of the day.

For the price 400 a person i can eat better in many restaurants. That's what i do next time i think.

Also bought some marshmallow icecream-thing for 240 baht but it was missing the marshmallow....Also the icecream wasn't worth that price (2 balls). That shop was a little down the spiralwalk from Jason and mowlem...i thought it was something special from the USA or so but it's just icecream.

EMquartier needs more shops soon because there's nothing to do except eating.

Archived