1/2 or full day meditation class?

Happy Grumpy

I tried it one time but couldn't concentrate. I ended going to the bar after half an hour.

Why concentrate?

well, aren't you suppose to concentrate on relaxed thoughts or something !!

Concentration is a very bad translation of the word samadhi. It is often assumed that concentration is required. This is incorrect. It is attention that is required.

I tried it one time but couldn't concentrate. I ended going to the bar after half an hour.

Why concentrate?

well, aren't you suppose to concentrate on relaxed thoughts or something !!

Concentration is a very bad translation of the word samadhi. It is often assumed that concentration is required. This is incorrect. It is attention that is required.

well , I couldn't give it the attention that was needed so I headed to the pub. I sure gave the bar alot of attention after that.

...unbroken attention.

Even if you first can't, you keep at it over many sessions, building capability.

You also notice how much the 'mind' want to do anything but this, and might even 'convince' you to type something on ThaiVisa instead.

...unbroken attention.

Even if you first can't, you keep at it over many sessions, building capability.

You also notice how much the 'mind' want to do anything but this, and might even 'convince' you to type something on ThaiVisa instead.

Not unbroken attention. Another myth. Not necessary. If Steven100 knew that he might not have headed to the bar.

...unbroken attention.

Not unbroken attention. Another myth. Not necessary. If Steven100 knew that he might not have headed to the bar.

You certainly don't start out that way (unbroken attention), but nor do you give in to every impulse that comes alone to distract you from siting, watching, and observing what happens.

...unbroken attention.

You certainly don't start out that way (unbroken attention), but nor do you give in to every impulse that comes alone to distract you from siting, watching, and observing what happens.

You cannot stop thoughts arising. Who is it that would stop them? By the time you have stopped them the train has already arrived in the station. To quieten the mind we put the attention on one thing. It may be breath, it may be mantra. This in itself subdues mind. It is not a question of giving in to the distractions of thought, but putting the attention in one place, innocently and effortlessly. Do this and mind will automatically experience quieter levels of thinking. I have to dash. I'm just on the way out of the door to teach someone to do precisely this.

Archived