What does teaching experience in Thailand get you?

A friend ask me the other day, yesterday actually!, if I could some how certify my teaching experience in Thailand which would therefore qualify me to teach in the U.S.A., or at the least, substitute. I was somewhat perplexed as I didn't know if 1. I could actually prove my experience..and 2. If it counted for anything in the real world?

Does anyone know?

If you don't have any credentials other than a valid college degree in an unrelated discipline combined with seven years of classroom experience in Thailand, do you get in the door in school in the U.S.A. in an area where perhaps there is a shortage of qualified teachers?

Put another way....Is your teaching experience in Thailand worth anything other than a "life experience"? which shows prospective employers you did something those seven years as opposed to being unemployed and on government subsidies?

We refer to employment back in the U.S.A. or Canada or England, not finding an English teaching job in Korea, China, Japan, or the Middle East.

Kind regards. The Bangkok Post printed a gloomy picture yesterday in the opinion section. It seems Thailand is still ranked very low in the English speaking department and the new ASCEAN agreements are going to hurt them in 2016...Don't know if this is true either because the Thai's always seem to put Thailand first, and who can blame them? It's their country, they are proud, and love it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old adage this is Thailand springs to mind, I know of some who have enough credentials to teach here but not near enough to teach within homeland.

Thanks for your well thought out reply. I think we all know that however. But really...thanks....it reminds me of another "old adage"..."When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys."

As well also know, and know personally in my case, the Thai schools will hire people who don't speak English fluently, never mind "Native English Speaker", and people without actual University degrees. The TCT verification of said degrees has always been a joke, they may be correcting it, I honestly don't know if it's all talk and an idea or if in practice doing it?

But that's all fine and good. It wasn't my inquiry! I'm asking what the actual work experience, that of teaching in a Thai school, gets you as far as gaining experience which means something or does it mean nothing?

Thanks and again, kind regards.

Although I can not answer your question with facts OK can answer it with another question which may help. Thailand is rated one of the worst in educational standards in both Thai and English testing. If you had a business that needed teachers would you hire someone without proper credentials and only with their practical experience from Thailand?

If someone were to come to me with only that I would laugh them out of the door.

It is worth what you get out of it.

As far as employment teaching in the West it is of little or no value to the authorities.

Most western countries require a degree and some require an additional 2 years of Teachers College.

I don't know but will say I did a teaching stint here some years back and got "life experience" but do not include it on my resume. I learned one thing: it taught me that I do not have the personality to control a room of 30 hormone-filled teenagers. It would give very practical experience but as far as scoring a similar job back home, don't know.

My teaching experience got me 8 levels up the master pay scale here in Hong Kong.

The OP's question was directly related to Thai teaching experience sufficiency levels, for gettibg a teaching job in the U.S.A., not Hong Kong.

I think most people become EFL teachers here because there was something missing in their lives back home. I had a good job and financial security but I was so f%$#ing bored. Here can be frustrating but at least I feel alive. By and large I enjoy life here and don't plan to return to my homeland. Teaching gives me the opportunity to have a life here.

Archived