Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

What does teaching experience in Thailand get you?


Recommended Posts

My teaching experience got me 8 levels up the master pay scale here in Hong Kong.

The OP's question was directly related to Thai teaching experience sufficiency levels, for gettibg a teaching job in the U.S.A., not Hong Kong.

Is your teaching experience in Thailand worth anything other than a "life experience"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The old adage this is Thailand springs to mind, I know of some who have enough credentials to teach here but not near enough to teach within homeland.

Thanks for your well thought out reply. I think we all know that however. But really...thanks....it reminds me of another "old adage"..."When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys."

As well also know, and know personally in my case, the Thai schools will hire people who don't speak English fluently, never mind "Native English Speaker", and people without actual University degrees. The TCT verification of said degrees has always been a joke, they may be correcting it, I honestly don't know if it's all talk and an idea or if in practice doing it?

But that's all fine and good. It wasn't my inquiry! I'm asking what the actual work experience, that of teaching in a Thai school, gets you as far as gaining experience which means something or does it mean nothing?

Thanks and again, kind regards.

It would not hold a lot of credibility I would think. My gf is a Filipino teacher, your comments about pay and monkeys pales into insignificance with their pay compared to yours as a westerner! My gf has been at the same school for 3 years, fully qualified, dual degree with 1/w masters completed and has been given 300 bht in rises in that time!

That is a true grievance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can directly address the question.

A friend returning to the UK after teaching in a Thai private university for several years, was able to use the years of experience to skip some of the modules required to gain Qualified Teacher Status in the UK.

Official documents and certifying letters were required from the university.

Link to post
Share on other sites

being a good teacher means instilling a love of learning in at least some of your students. you can learn to do this. in Thailand, it is not only a very difficult task to accomplish for many reasons and, not least of which, because of large classroom sizes.... but Thai culture and education in Thailand is more about obedience and compliance than about the occasional gift of a genuine learning experience. this may be why copying things, handing in homework, wearing uniforms, pretending to respect the ajarn etc etc is very important here. so it is really difficult to see how experience in Thailand is "teaching" is at all useful elsewhere. most of what I learned in the UCLA TEFL program before coming here was not at all applicable here. it really is a system to graduate those students who 'do the stupid stuff' diligently and are good at rote learning. this is good for training medical doctors and factory workers... but not the kind of folks that make western culture, economies and the people themselves what they are. so much so most Thai place a fairly high value on sending their children, as well as themselves, to faraway geographical locations where there are predominately western people instead of Thai. they call it going overseas etc to get a western education... but it's really about being in a different culture.

I believe we tend to discount how important literacy is. in most of the world, reading books ranks in the top 10 leisure activities, easily. usually only outranked by travel. in Thailand, outside Bangkok in particular no one hardly ever reads a book of any kind. I have to assume Bangkok is a bit better because I guess so, I have never lived there, and only visited briefly... but the only Thai readers I know of are all from Bangkok (and it is one fellow, only one guy, the same guy every time at family funerals that I meet). that's quite an indictment.

it shows up in everyday life. the ability to think in the abstract is what makes us more than just another mammal species with a consciousness. but we have language. and it is most powerfully developed by reading good books and gaining new perspectives. everyday life isn't as filled with this kind of abstract thought processing, it tends to be more concrete and 'real'...... which is how animals live. like my dog, who I keep well fed, happy and play with. I can't help it, I still think to Abhisit Vejjajiva, while Prime Minister saying, or reportedly saying, that the most important thing for the Thai public school system is that the students are happy.

that's how I treat my dog.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have many acquaintances and some friends who went back to the real world (the states) and taught after starting their career in TEFL in Asia. You have to get your requirements sorted out, but with so many alternative teaching license programs that isn't too hard. Truth be told many districts are begging for teachers at the moment. I'm not convinced the teaching experience here is THAT well regarded, but it is experience.

I'll come back to this topic when I'm home next year, looking at starting to teach there for 2016-2017. What you do have to understand that in some of the literature there is a sense that you have to break some of your TEFL habits before teaching kiddos back home. Sorry, throwing a ball around and prancing may not be very marketable. I'm not suggesting here anyone does that but it does seem endemic of the field.

To those who think that teaching here is some tough job. LOL. Seriously, have you met some of the people in this field? It's a McJob many times...I work at a decent school but gawd your average TEFLer out in the sticks in Nakhon Nowhere gets hired, qualifications be damned. Actually, happens a lot in Bangkok. No degree? Buy one! No experience, make it up! Criminal check screw that m8! Make sure you have a nice photo for your application. Let's just cut the crap shall we? How many, by show of hands, would love a bunch of TEFL teachers in charge of their kids all day? Bueller?...Bueller?

Seriously fellas, there's a reason the majority of people in our countries don't think of TEFL as a proper field. There's quite a bit of good research on this. In essence, the low barriers to entry, the fact that the field is so often commercialized, low salaries, low job security, lack of intellectual engagement with the field, and the transitory nature of it all lead to it being not so well respected. Sorry to burst your bubbles. Now, on the upshot some people find they love it and go on to get a qualification and go home or move to internationals. For that, I say good on ya I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can directly address the question.

A friend returning to the UK after teaching in a Thai private university for several years, was able to use the years of experience to skip some of the modules required to gain Qualified Teacher Status in the UK.

Official documents and certifying letters were required from the university.

That's good to hear, thanks. So often we miss out on specifics on the board, and glad to hear that your friend was able to get some educational credit for his work =)

Link to post
Share on other sites

A picture of beer and a few laughs...the laughs will be free...you pay for the beer...cheers!

Would that be 'pitcher' and shouldn't it be 'pitcherful' in this instant?

Teachers have to set a good example...so only a "picture" of beer would be provided...everyone else gets the real stuff...wai2.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the point about the validity of Thai Uni credits for certification in the US. I'll get the links, if I really have to...but some of the certification bodies will view it based on your nationality. IOW, it may not be acceptable for an American to get a B.Ed in Thailand and come back and expect certification. It would be different for a Thai immigrant to the US, and they would likely just make that person take US History and a few courses like that. OTOH, I knew an American, who went to medical school at University of Guadalajara, and was accepted into residency at very prestigious Georgetown University.

I have also read recently, that a public school system in Kingman, Arizona has imported some Filipino teachers for Math and Science. Probably got them a license renewable for 2-3 years, while they take any extra coursework. Believe it, or not, they actually are on the same pay scale as native teachers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not study "off-campus" in your home country?

You could do almost all of a post baccalaureate ED program online (except for 6 credit hours of student teaching). It's very expensive...like 17,000 USD, and some of the schools are a joke (University of Phoenix)...it will get you certified, and allow you to be contracted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not study "off-campus" in your home country?

You could do almost all of a post baccalaureate ED program online (except for 6 credit hours of student teaching). It's very expensive...like 17,000 USD, and some of the schools are a joke (University of Phoenix)...it will get you certified, and allow you to be contracted.

Eh if you're in need of a license and you're American do a program like TeacherReady or something. Practicum can be done here in Thailand if you can get a mentor teacher and site, exams you have to do back in the states.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As usual most of the posters replying here are the "all TEFLers are dickheads" brigade, with no actual knowledge of the requirements to be a teacher in the western world.

We all know that some TEFLers have "circumvented" the system by lying about their quals etc.

However it is untrue that if you can't legally teach in Thailand then you cannot teach in your homeland.

The qualifications required for TEFL teaching in Thailand are way higher than those in the UK.

I do not have a degree and thus am not able to satisfy the legal requirements in Thailand at present, but did teach there for many years previously when the rules were different and was then allowed to continue due to the "grandfather" system.

Back in the UK I teach ESOL in Colleges and Universities with an RSA CELTA but no degree. Many recruiters ask for a degree and a DELTA but that is what they would prefer and they are perfectly willing to take lesser quals, especially if the teacher has a good c.v. and references and especially hit them with a good demo lesson. Of course the better paying jobs go to those with the best quals but the demand far exceeds the number of teachers.

The various TEFL sites on the internet have dozens of TEFL positions in the UK, far more than can be filled by degree and DELTA holding candidates. Most of the work is in London and other major cities. So accommodation costs can be a problem.

You can also sign up with Protocol National or a similar organisation and you can get sub teaching work in schools. You will need to obtain a DBS, basically a police check, Not my favourite type of employment, if you think Thai teens are unruly, you will be eaten alive by the UK comprehensive school teenagers.

Rates of pay are around £16-20 per hour TEFLing or £100 plus for a day subbing in schools. If you can a fully contracted job with a good language institute you can look for £25,000 plus and benefits.

Private work is also an option and of course internet teaching is becoming increasingly fashionable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have noted, a 4 year degree and a state certification are typically mandatory for a teaching position in any of the 50 states in the US. Under the "No Child Left Behind" act requirements were further tightened, requiring teachers to be highly qualified for the subject they teach.

If you meet those conditions (degree, certification, highly qualified) there is no particular reason you cannot be hired. The question then is whether you will receive credit for the years you taught abroad. If your experience is in an accredited international or American school, whether in Thailand or elsewhere, there's a good chance of it, especially if you're applying for a difficult to fill position. Do keep in mind that many schools cap the number of years accepted for salary placement, typically at 10 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact is you will NOT get a job teaching in the USA without a minimum of a four year degree. The experience in Thailand is pretty much worthless and considered a waste of time.

What people need to understand is the longer you stay in Thailand, the older you get. The rest of the civilized first world moves forward with education and technology, whereas Thailand moves backward. There are tons of college graduates in the USA each year for the schools to choose from that are 22 years old with a bachelors degree or more.

From my own experience, I lived in Thailand for 10+ years. I had an advanced education before I left, worked in the same field (engineering), yet when I decided to come back to the USA, where before I could get a job easily, many companies looked at my time in Thailand as nothing but wasting time. Only through contacts was I able to get back into the corporate door at a high level.

I have to admire the people that move to Thailand and tough it out to the end. I had the same intentions, however, after having a family my priorities shifted to their best chance which I felt was not in Thailand.

Our son attended Prem International in Chiang Mai, which at the time was well over 400,000 baht a year. Upon coming to the USA, he was way behind his class in English and Math.

For me it was a simple decision of wanting more for my family and having our son educated in the USA, where he will have a chance at making more than 15,000 baht a month when he graduates from Uni.

There are no easy answers however Thailand is not looked highly upon by any other nation in the world unless you count corruption, prostitution and human trafficking.

Seems employers always think the worst when they find out you were in Thailand for a long time.

There were other international bording schools in CM, choosing one of the most expensive and suspect international teachers, as you found out was not a wise choice.. regardless of all the bells and whistles they threw at you.. Yes, a nice campus in the hills.

Has you child caught up in his studies? So many other expats, who settle down here and have families end up returning home for the quality of education...

Returned to USA and will not return to Thailand

The school here in the USA has the tools and my son has caught up

Knowing what I know now, I would never have stayed in Thailand as long as I did.

Some people are ok with their kids graduating from Thai Uni making 15,000 thb per month; not me.

For our son, the best option is US education and that is more important than living in Thailand

Link to post
Share on other sites

As usual most of the posters replying here are the "all TEFLers are dickheads" brigade, with no actual knowledge of the requirements to be a teacher in the western world.

We all know that some TEFLers have "circumvented" the system by lying about their quals etc.

However it is untrue that if you can't legally teach in Thailand then you cannot teach in your homeland.

The qualifications required for TEFL teaching in Thailand are way higher than those in the UK.

I do not have a degree and thus am not able to satisfy the legal requirements in Thailand at present, but did teach there for many years previously when the rules were different and was then allowed to continue due to the "grandfather" system.

Back in the UK I teach ESOL in Colleges and Universities with an RSA CELTA but no degree. Many recruiters ask for a degree and a DELTA but that is what they would prefer and they are perfectly willing to take lesser quals, especially if the teacher has a good c.v. and references and especially hit them with a good demo lesson. Of course the better paying jobs go to those with the best quals but the demand far exceeds the number of teachers.

The various TEFL sites on the internet have dozens of TEFL positions in the UK, far more than can be filled by degree and DELTA holding candidates. Most of the work is in London and other major cities. So accommodation costs can be a problem.

You can also sign up with Protocol National or a similar organisation and you can get sub teaching work in schools. You will need to obtain a DBS, basically a police check, Not my favourite type of employment, if you think Thai teens are unruly, you will be eaten alive by the UK comprehensive school teenagers.

Rates of pay are around £16-20 per hour TEFLing or £100 plus for a day subbing in schools. If you can a fully contracted job with a good language institute you can look for £25,000 plus and benefits.

Private work is also an option and of course internet teaching is becoming increasingly fashionable.

I always find it interesting that people with no degree think they are smart enough to teach others because of a certificate?

A 4 year Uni degree in English from the USA versus your certificate?

I know who I would rather have teaching my kid.

You fill the void of economic teacher. A role that is filled so the company can make money and make money only.

I do not see the school hiring you direct? A recruiter will hire anyone because that is how THEY get paid.

You are kidding yourself if you think you have the same knowledge as a degree'd teacher.

People that speak English are not teachers and have no qualifications to be teachers.

If you did have the proper credentials to be a real teacher, you would be teaching in a real school and it would have taken you four years in UNI to get all the required English language skills

Teaching ESOL on a contract for that measly pay is exactly what is.

Anyone that has an advanced degree or has kids in school understands exactly the requirements to be a teacher.

Don't for a minute think you are smarter or more qualified than a degree'd teacher because you are not.

Students get screwed by uneducated people walking around with a piece of paper they earned in 30 days claiming to be teachers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
On 10/11/2015 at 5:36 PM, 50baht said:

I would not put any work experiance in Thailand on resume. It will get you on THE LIST.

.hardatit.jpg

If you are ever thinking of teaching English, I suggest you make sure to learn proper English spelling first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the US is anything like the UK, there should be plenty of TEFL jobs available and TEFL experience in Thailand should be as good as experience gained in any other country. The pay (in the UK) is not much better than Thailand though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sugarcane24 said:

If you are ever thinking of teaching English, I suggest you make sure to learn proper English spelling first.

 

Did you really need to exhume this poor long dead thread to criticise someone's spelling?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2015 at 7:40 AM, maewang99 said:

being a good teacher means instilling a love of learning in at least some of your students. you can learn to do this. in Thailand, it is not only a very difficult task to accomplish for many reasons and, not least of which, because of large classroom sizes.... but Thai culture and education in Thailand is more about obedience and compliance than about the occasional gift of a genuine learning experience. this may be why copying things, handing in homework, wearing uniforms, pretending to respect the ajarn etc etc is very important here. so it is really difficult to see how experience in Thailand is "teaching" is at all useful elsewhere. most of what I learned in the UCLA TEFL program before coming here was not at all applicable here. it really is a system to graduate those students who 'do the stupid stuff' diligently and are good at rote learning. this is good for training medical doctors and factory workers... but not the kind of folks that make western culture, economies and the people themselves what they are. so much so most Thai place a fairly high value on sending their children, as well as themselves, to faraway geographical locations where there are predominately western people instead of Thai. they call it going overseas etc to get a western education... but it's really about being in a different culture.

I believe we tend to discount how important literacy is. in most of the world, reading books ranks in the top 10 leisure activities, easily. usually only outranked by travel. in Thailand, outside Bangkok in particular no one hardly ever reads a book of any kind. I have to assume Bangkok is a bit better because I guess so, I have never lived there, and only visited briefly... but the only Thai readers I know of are all from Bangkok (and it is one fellow, only one guy, the same guy every time at family funerals that I meet). that's quite an indictment.

it shows up in everyday life. the ability to think in the abstract is what makes us more than just another mammal species with a consciousness. but we have language. and it is most powerfully developed by reading good books and gaining new perspectives. everyday life isn't as filled with this kind of abstract thought processing, it tends to be more concrete and 'real'...... which is how animals live. like my dog, who I keep well fed, happy and play with. I can't help it, I still think to Abhisit Vejjajiva, while Prime Minister saying, or reportedly saying, that the most important thing for the Thai public school system is that the students are happy.

that's how I treat my dog.

Teachers have quite a high social status in Thai society I suspect because their important role in turning intelligent children into government-operated robots, respectively cogs in the state machinery, is appreciated by TPTB and their underlings. If I value my three years of teaching in Thailand before I retired it is because of the insight into this it gave me.

 

Delving into this issue further, I came to realise that schools anywhere in the world are basically indoctrination centres used to programme children with the lies which keep this corrupt and evil system pervading virtually every aspect of human life on this planet  going.  Seen in this light, so-called education is just another form of government/psychopathic elites-sponsored organised crime designed to dumb down the population. What do a school of fish and children in a school have in common? The fish and the children are both disconnected from their own brain and controlled by a mind outside themselves. 

dumb_dees.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sugarcane24 said:

Teachers have quite a high social status in Thai society I suspect because their important role in turning intelligent children into government-operated robots, respectively cogs in the state machinery, is appreciated by TPTB and their underlings. If I value my three years of teaching in Thailand before I retired it is because of the insight into this it gave me.

 

Delving into this issue further, I came to realise that schools anywhere in the world are basically indoctrination centres used to programme children with the lies which keep this corrupt and evil system pervading virtually every aspect of human life on this planet  going.  Seen in this light, so-called education is just another form of government/psychopathic elites-sponsored organised crime designed to dumb down the population. What do a school of fish and children in a school have in common? The fish and the children are both disconnected from their own brain and controlled by a mind outside themselves. 

dumb_dees.jpg

 

3 minutes ago, sugarcane24 said:

Sorry - I didn't notice the date. If I had, no I wouldn't have.

 Have you seen this one?  You should post your comment in it.  You will find far more people to discuss it with.  All the best.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...