High Pollution In Rayong

Jai Dee

High pollution in Rayong

President of Rayong Chamber of Commerce Pratchya Samalapa (นายปรัชญา สมะลาภา) has spoken of Rayong Chamber of Commerce’s conference in October 2006 that there are many important agendas, and the urgent one is the proposal for the interim government to give special consideration to the environmental problem.

At present, the quality of life of Rayong residents is affected by pollution; as a result, more people have allergic problems. Moreover, a report on air and water pollution shows that many areas in the province have the amount of pollution higher than standard levels such as around Payoon Beach where too much hydrogen is detected. Ban Nong Fab Community adjacent to Mab Ta Pud Industrial Estate has ammonia and a type of bacteria higher than standard. There is also mercury in some water resources. In addition, the report finds that the environmental problem caused by households themselves.

Rayong Chamber of Commerce has planned to persuade organizations involved to help find a solution and ask the new government to take care of this problem.

Director of Mab Ta Pud Industrial Estate Pirawat Rungroengsri (นายพีระวัฒน์ รุ่งเรืองศรี) admitted that there high pollution especially dust has been found in many areas.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 October 2006

It's at the centre of a huge, largely unregulated chemical industry. You'd be mad to live there if you had a choice. Same goes for all the provinces around Bangkok which are heavily industrialised. A lot of the country is a chemical cesspit for sure and certain.

"Payoon Beach where too much hydrogen is detected"

As this is the beach where I live and where my kids play has anyone any idea what this means?

Are they saying its its on the beach as in the sand or the water (mostly hydrogen I think anyway) or in the air?

Ned do you know for a fact this industry is unregulated ? I find this hard to belive as most of the industry there is owned by the big multi nationals all accountable to international law.

Having said that most of the ferang builders/maintainance/ operaters live up wind of the whole area in Ban Chang :o

The wife and I moved to Rayong in 96 unaware of the polution problems. Within 4 months we had left after developing upper respiratory problems and headaches that just would not go away. As soon as we vacated Rayong all the medical conditions disappeared.

Coincidence??????????? We think not

Sounds like little has changed in 10 years.

"Payoon Beach where too much hydrogen is detected"

As this is the beach where I live and where my kids play has anyone any idea what this means?

Are they saying its its on the beach as in the sand or the water (mostly hydrogen I think anyway) or in the air?

Ned do you know for a fact this industry is unregulated ? I find this hard to belive as most of the industry there is owned by the big multi nationals all accountable to international law.

Having said that most of the ferang builders/maintainance/ operaters live up wind of the whole area in Ban Chang :D

That's probably why lots of them are here. Not that it's unregulated, simply that laws are not enforced that much. Some may get around regulations with a brown envelope stuffed with cash. Simply look at driver behaviour and vehicle emissions on the roads when it comes to regulations and enforcing them. :o

I get headaches like never before. We live near Amata Nakorn and have to sweep and wash floors about every second day, no one wears shoes in the house but your feet still turn black. Ceiling fans and curtains turn black in a matter of months. The fact that shoulders on paved roads are never swept also brings in a never ending dust cloud from nearby main roads. Driving on the elevated expressway always reminds me of what what crap we're swimming in every day. :D