How to kill a couple hours at or near DMK ?

sartoric

It will be a Thursday afternoon, 4 pm to 6 pm (not including check in time) in a few weeks.

My first thought is have a few beers, but where ? Is Amari the only option ? Is there somewhere else nearby to have a drink and snack ?

The airports website lists no food or drink outlets, but I'm sure there are some.

Help....

The airports website lists no food or drink outlets, but I'm sure there are some.

A couple of food/drink places in the main area.

All pricey (no surprise) and crowded.

More places in the domestic gate area (after security).

And a 7/11 which must be the busiest in Thailand.

So crowded!

A couple of hours at DM after check-in is not too big of a deal, killing time-wise. Bear in mind you should be at the gate half an hour before, and as other posters have commented, there are places you can have a coffee and a bite. I cannot speak for international, but if your flight is domestic I would recommend you determine the exact location of your gate as some of them are a bit of a trek. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies.

This time it's an international flight, AA to Siem Reap.

I was last there a year ago, when the domestic terminal was dire. Hoped it might have improved.....

Ravip, about the restaurants close by, how close, and which direction ?

Need to cross the overhead bridge (not the Amari) and within half to one KM distance there are quite a few restaurents.

But, if you have only 2 hours to spare, I dont know how practical that would be.

(Shall post later in the evening the restaurant/s available just outside the airport and not expensive).

Thanks for your replies.

I was last there a year ago, when the domestic terminal was dire. Hoped it might have improved.....

Well bear in mind you will have immigration to get through too. You know how it is, could take 10 minutes, could take an hour...

Thanks, I'll wait to hear. We land at 3.15 and depart 7.50, so about 4.5 hours in total. I was allowing time to check in for the next flight.

If we can leave suitcases at left luggage and get out of DMK, I'd be happy...

Edit to add, reply to ravip.

Thanks for your replies.

Well bear in mind you will have immigration to get through too. You know how it is, could take 10 minutes, could take an hour...

Yes, you're right. We'll only be in the country for a few hours too. So immigration both on arrival and departure. It will depend on the day I guess, whether we can escape DMK or not.

It is the Magic Food Point that I referred to >>> https://th.foursquare.com/v/magic-food-point-%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%9F%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%97/50610eefe4b0034de52a293e

Beer will not be available here - at this time of the day, I guess the only option might be the expensive restaurants inside.

Some say the Magic Food Point is open only from 0500 - 2200Hrs. But others say it is open 24Hrs.

(Maybe tomorrow I will try to confirm this or someone else might do so before me).

Here they show how to get there >>> http://chailaibackpacker.com/magicfoodpoint/

This food court mainly cater for the airport staff, not many people who are actually flying know this place or how to get there. It is located outside the airport terminal. Here are the steps to get here.

Go to the arrival floor and walk towards your right, until the very end. You will see a row of ATM machines and use the exit. Keep on walking on the pavement. and you'll walk by few banks on your right, and buses on your left (white colour buses) with some waiting seat. You'll pass-by open air car park area on your left too. Keep on walking and enter the parking area. you'll see the food court on your right. If you are not sure along the way, there will be fe AVIS staff. just ask them. But it is actually pretty easy to get there and it is open 24 hours.

There are many choices of food and drinks. and most of all the price is very much reasonable. It is about 10 minutes walking distance.
Also you could ask any staff member for directions too.
I hope this helps.

It is the Magic Food Point that I referred to >>> https://th.foursquare.com/v/magic-food-point-%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%9F%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%97/50610eefe4b0034de52a293e

Beer will not be available here - at this time of the day, I guess the only option might be the expensive restaurants inside.

Some say the Magic Food Point is open only from 0500 - 2200Hrs. But others say it is open 24Hrs.

(Maybe tomorrow I will try to confirm this or someone else might do so before me).

Here they show how to get there >>> http://chailaibackpacker.com/magicfoodpoint/

This food court mainly cater for the airport staff, not many people who are actually flying know this place or how to get there. It is located outside the airport terminal. Here are the steps to get here.

Go to the arrival floor and walk towards your right, until the very end. You will see a row of ATM machines and use the exit. Keep on walking on the pavement. and you'll walk by few banks on your right, and buses on your left (white colour buses) with some waiting seat. You'll pass-by open air car park area on your left too. Keep on walking and enter the parking area. you'll see the food court on your right. If you are not sure along the way, there will be fe AVIS staff. just ask them. But it is actually pretty easy to get there and it is open 24 hours.

There are many choices of food and drinks. and most of all the price is very much reasonable. It is about 10 minutes walking distance.

http://pantip.com/topic/33996809

I hope this helps.

Thanks again ravip. We should be able to find it !

http://pantip.com/topic/33996809

I hope this helps.

Thanks again ravip. We should be able to find it !

Just now I received the information that Magic Food at DMK is open only from 06:30 - 20:30 hrs only.

I guess you need to have a plan B.

The -farangs- foreigners are always after beer and drinks even for a 2 hour stop at the airport. They get drunk and miss the flight and do not even know the 24 hour clock used at airport.

Why do they not spend the time walking inside the airport or reading a book and talking to people ?. Is it very hard to kill 2 hours at an International Airport?.

"A couple of hours to kill" ...hardly a lifetime.... 3 weeks ago I travelled from Ireland to Majorca by Ryan Air,... a big mistake. Had to wait 12 hours at John Lennon Airport in Liverpool for my connection to Palma. Coming back I had to wait 14 hours at Beauvais Airport, Paris. No place to go at either Airport due to baggage (it is not shipped ahead with Ryan Air). Used my imagination and watched the comings and goings of my fellow travellers ....the hugging, the kissing goodbye, the children playing, the old, the young. the fit, the unfit, .....it was a great insight into my fellow man, which led me to believe that no matter how different we look from each other....we are basically......all The Same.

The -farangs- foreigners are always after beer and drinks even for a 2 hour stop at the airport. They get drunk and miss the flight and do not even know the 24 hour clock used at airport.

Why do they not spend the time walking inside the airport or reading a book and talking to people ?. Is it very hard to kill 2 hours at an International Airport?.

I was going to suggest Future Park Rangsit but for 2 hours not worth it. I got the impression he had maybe 5 or 6 hours to pass before check in

To the recent comments above, it is a 4 hr 35 m layover. I've allowed 2 hrs to check in to the departing flight. So plenty of time to walk around, read a book and talk to people.

For the record, I have never missed a flight due to being too drunk, and a couple of beers in the afternoon is not going to cause that this time. I'm also quite familiar with the 24 hour clock.

I simply want to get out of what I recall is a poorly serviced rundown airport.

For ideas about helpful suggestions, have a look at many of the posts before sunderam444.

"A couple of hours to kill" ...hardly a lifetime.... 3 weeks ago I travelled from Ireland to Majorca by Ryan Air,... a big mistake. Had to wait 12 hours at John Lennon Airport in Liverpool for my connection to Palma. Coming back I had to wait 14 hours at Beauvais Airport, Paris. No place to go at either Airport due to baggage (it is not shipped ahead with Ryan Air). Used my imagination and watched the comings and goings of my fellow travellers ....the hugging, the kissing goodbye, the children playing, the old, the young. the fit, the unfit, .....it was a great insight into my fellow man, which led me to believe that no matter how different we look from each other....we are basically......all The Same.

Kind of a nice sentiment, but to my mind that constitutes poor planning.

Did they not have a left luggage area ?

I've been stuck in an airport for 12 hours, but that was due to a pilots strike. I would always plan an escape from the airport with a known layover that long.

Thanks for your replies.

AA (American Airlines) flies from DMK to REP?

Anyway, I would leave the airport. Two hours is not much. There is a food place with beer upstairs.

Thanks for your replies.

Anyway, I would leave the airport. Two hours is not much. There is a food place with beer upstairs.

Air Asia. Thanks

Thanks for your replies.

Air Asia. Thanks

Meant to write "I would NOT leave the airport". Sorry for typo.

Thai Air Asia is FD, not AA.

Kind of a nice sentiment, but to my mind that constitutes poor planning.

Did they not have a left luggage area ?

I've been stuck in an airport for 12 hours, but that was due to a pilots strike. I would always plan an escape from the airport with a known layover that long.

Try a 16 hour wait in Almaty in Kazakhstan, not very nice but was due to delays after delays. Had everything been ontime I would still have had a 10 hour wait

To the recent comments above, it is a 4 hr 35 m layover. I've allowed 2 hrs to check in to the departing flight. So plenty of time to walk around, read a book and talk to people.

For the record, I have never missed a flight due to being too drunk, and a couple of beers in the afternoon is not going to cause that this time. I'm also quite familiar with the 24 hour clock.

For ideas about helpful suggestions, have a look at many of the posts before sunderam444.

You say "my first thought is to have a few beers" which gives the impression you want to drink as much as you can

before you catch your next flight. I would wonder how many you will have on the flight to DMK.

Then you say "only a couple of beers" which is fine, unless of course you have had "a few beers" on the previous flight.

You say "my first thought is to have a few beers" which gives the impression you want to drink as much as you can

before you catch your next flight. I would wonder how many you will have on the flight to DMK.

Then you say "only a couple of beers" which is fine, unless of course you have had "a few beers" on the previous flight.

Geez, really ? It gives YOU that impression. I wouldn't read my post that way, neither did various people who responded with helpful suggestions.

I sought advice on a travel forum before posting here, the consensus was, have a few beers - there's not much to do at DMK. Hence that was my "first thought".

The flight to DMK is 2 hours, time for maybe one beer, if Air Asia even sell it on that flight.

This thread had positive comments until today, why is that ?

Do the puritans and wowsers only come out on Saturday.

I have the information I need, and thanks again to those who provided it.

OP is leaving the room....?

Geez, really ? It gives YOU that impression. I wouldn't read my post that way, neither did various people who responded with helpful suggestions.

I sought advice on a travel forum before posting here, the consensus was, have a few beers - there's not much to do at DMK. Hence that was my "first thought".

The flight to DMK is 2 hours, time for maybe one beer, if Air Asia even sell it on that flight.

This thread had positive comments until today, why is that ?

Do the puritans and wowsers only come out on Saturday.

I have the information I need, and thanks again to those who provided it.

OP is leaving the room....?

Sorry if I upset you, there are always people boasting about having "a few beers", maybe I came on a bit strong.

I just hate people who go on about how much they want to drink, and seem to always make it their priority.

I have never been against social drinkers.

I would HIGHLY suggest and recommend you stay inside the airport.

Murphy Created "Murphy's Laws" At An Airport.

Why risk it?

Good luck.

Yes, very practical advice that every seasoned traveler will recognize.

I always enjoy relaxing at the DMK Starbucks with a coffee, snack, and good book or smartphone with wifi. A bit expensive? Pamper yourself once in awhile, especially on a trip. In that situation, 2 hours will fly by, for me.

[After a 3-day/night stay at Heathrow a few years ago (malfunctioning aircraft being fixed) everything else is easy! Perspective.]

Archived