Have you studied Buddhism & applied it in your daily life?

fang37

I became interested in Buddhism in 1985. Then, I attended some Buddhist meetings.

Later I spent some time in a Buddhist wat in Sri Lanka.

RESULTS

Compared to Christianity, I have discovered that Buddhism is a "HOW TO" philosophy.

No rules.

The quality of my life is entirely up to me.

It is a matter of you can take out what you put in.

I have found Buddhism to be the most wonderful influence in my life.

It has affected the way I think, the way I react (or not react), respect for others & myself.

It has been the major life-changer for me.

In fact, I read some Buddhist literature every day.

I have a pretty good understanding of Buddhism and although I don't practice or believe in it I have no problem with someone else doing as they please.

I believe people should go through life with a view to living a morally decent existence and treating people with respect and kindness. If Buddhism strikes a chord and gets your head in that space then it's a good thing.

There are many people who disagree with studying a religion or belief in order to find your way but most of the time I always suspect they are afraid of ridicule.

So, if it helps you keep things in perspective and gives you peace of mind then fair play and carry on fella.

It has affected the way I think, the way I react (or not react), respect for others & myself.

---------------------------------

Yes.

However ,to be clear my style of Buddhism is not Thai or even Thredvata

But there are many paths to climb the hill are there not?

I believe they all arrive at the same peak.

• 2 weeks later...

---------------------------------

Yes.

However ,to be clear my style of Buddhism is not Thai or even Thredvata

But there are many paths to climb the hill are there not?

I believe they all arrive at the same peak.

Have you ever climbed a mountain?

I hear that phrase used alot but not all paths lead to the peak/ridge. Some can end up getting lost along the way, trapped, or eventually finding the way after much difficulty.

(Not to oppose you, just wanted to put that out there)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, for me I found peace and happiness after understanding life, which happens to be similar with Buddhism. As a kid, I was taken to the church several times and after much study on Christianity, the Bible, their history and know that they are partly copied from Buddhism and betrayed Judaism. After further much medical studies and understanding placebo effects, I know Christianity is all bullshit. Later, I observed many devoted Christians suffered near the end of their life when they realised all their prayers don't really work.

But then, if you are an atheist and live a "correct" life, you are just the same as a Buddhist but without being one.

Though learning Buddhism helps you to understand life better and helps you to live a happier life without the ignorance, faster.

I've studied it for thirteen years, and have concluded that it simply cherry-picks from other pre-existing religions.

I am amused by foreigners who come here and think they've been enlightened by some new and unique knowledge about life, death, suffering, ethics and immortality. Every time I talk with them, they instead usually reveal their ignorance about some established religion in their home country which teaches the identical precepts.

However, the same stuff, couched in the mystical liturgy and phrasing of an Eastern religion/philosophy just can't be resisted by the recently-initiated greenhorn from abroad.

Another aspect they totally miss, is that in Thailand, the endemic religion is a thinly-veiled business that sells hope and lucky lottery numbers. To most adherents here, it doesn't get much deeper than that.

Final analysis: nothing new or creatively profound.

Z-z-z-z-z

Is it possible you could elaborate?

If you confine your study to what the Buddha actually taught, rather than the mis guided practice of many, then, apart from the precepts which aid one to focus away from Ego, then you will see there is a radical departure in teaching.

In terms of how poorly educated third world people view Buddhism then sure, z z z z z Z.

Fookhaht,

Do you know both stories of Buddha and Jesus and why Christianity never like their followers to know more about Buddhism ?

Both mothers' name had 2 pronunciation, started with "Ma", had unexpected pregnancy, given birth during a journey home, prophesied soon after birth, had 12 disciples with one betrayer....and so much more that could not be coincidental.

Have you heard of HInduism Creator God Brahma, name of his wife and the big flood story ?

Go figure out who copied who.

• 3 weeks later...

Meditation and listening to chants helps me relax

Progressive body muscle relaxation

Hypnotism relax videos on YouTube are my latest techniques.

I want to float over my body, experience out of body relaxation

Visit my memories and understand my subconscious mind

I want to be able to snap my fingers and put my whole body and mind into a relaxed state.

I have had anxiety problems for years and practicing Bhuddist meditation has helped me so much.

I've studied it for thirteen years, and have concluded that it simply cherry-picks from other pre-existing religions.

I am amused by foreigners who come here and think they've been enlightened by some new and unique knowledge about life, death, suffering, ethics and immortality. Every time I talk with them, they instead usually reveal their ignorance about some established religion in their home country which teaches the identical precepts.

However, the same stuff, couched in the mystical liturgy and phrasing of an Eastern religion/philosophy just can't be resisted by the recently-initiated greenhorn from abroad.

Another aspect they totally miss, is that in Thailand, the endemic religion is a thinly-veiled business that sells hope and lucky lottery numbers. To most adherents here, it doesn't get much deeper than that.

Final analysis: nothing new or creatively profound.

Z-z-z-z-z

clap2.gif

I started being interested, reading and meditating in 1971 also in Hinduism. I now think it's all a dead end, nothing but fairy tales and faith used as a crutch against the fear of mortality.

I am just the opposite. I started interesting in Christianity, reading and even attended church for a period. I find nothing too other than myths and fairy tales using heaven as a fear against hell. After that, I read up about Hinduism, got interested with their fairy tales which are more logical, the Creator God Brahma which sounds coherent with the Big Bang(without the Adam and Eve part) and later Buddhism when I found out Buddhism is actually a spin-off from Hinduism, without any conflicts but more explanations, especially with the 4 Noble Truth and Noble 8 Fold Path. More recently, after understanding "real" meditation and practising it, true heaven on earth !!

I want to be able to snap my fingers and put my whole body and mind into a relaxed state.

I have had anxiety problems for years and practicing Bhuddist meditation has helped me so much.

Yes, unfortunately many people could not benefits from Buddhism meditation because they either did it wrongly or without understanding the basics of Buddhism knowledge. They failed to realise that Buddhism is not a religion that anyone can practise just by following blindly without understanding.

I started being interested, reading and meditating in 1971 also in Hinduism. I now think it's all a dead end, nothing but fairy tales and faith used as a crutch against the fear of mortality.

Always interested to learn.

What caused you to arrive at this conclusion?

Yes, unfortunately many people could not benefits from Buddhism meditation because they either did it wrongly or without understanding the basics of Buddhism knowledge. They failed to realise that Buddhism is not a religion that anyone can practise just by following blindly without understanding.

FYI ~ None of the world's current organized religions began as a religion, but as a lifestyle ideology for living as a spiritually conscious, and mentally evolving human being. As usual, people couldn't keep it simple, by following the universal laws of human behavior. They always find a way to complicate, even the most basic tenants of life. Deitifying, bowing down to, and praying to the graven image of a man who died 2559 years ago, is a religion.

Now, are you further stating that the vast majority of Burmese, Thais, Laosians, Cambodians, Vietnamese, etc., are not "factually" practicing Buddhists, but are actually "following blindly, without understanding"? If your answer is to the affirmative, then I definitely agree with you, and especially with regards to the Theravadiic notion of Buddhism, the National "religion" of every SE Asian country fore-mentioned. The Majority opinion rules, even in Nepal. Buddhism (today) is nothing more, than just another organized religion. Period!

FYI ~ None of the world's current organized religions began as a religion, but as a lifestyle ideology for living as a spiritually conscious, and mentally evolving human being. As usual, people couldn't keep it simple, by following the universal laws of human behavior. They always find a way to complicate, even the most basic tenants of life. Deitifying, bowing down to, and praying to the graven image of a man who died 2559 years ago, is a religion.

Now, are you further stating that the vast majority of Burmese, Thais, Laosians, Cambodians, Vietnamese, etc., are not "factually" practicing Buddhists, but are actually "following blindly, without understanding"? If your answer is to the affirmative, then I definitely agree with you, and especially with regards to the Theravadiic notion of Buddhism, the National "religion" of every SE Asian country fore-mentioned. The Majority opinion rules, even in Nepal. Buddhism (today) is nothing more, than just another organized religion. Period!

Couldn't agree with you more.

However, there is a subset of the vast majority, who actually do study and work towards practicing, as you refer to it, "a lifestyle ideology for living as a spiritually conscious, and mentally evolving human being" .

There is a concern that others will taint or discredit the original teaching, by referring to the conduct of the vast majority.

For those it will be a pity as there is much to gain both personally and collectively from regular practice of Awareness, Concentration and Ethical conduct focused on Compassion.

But then, faced with the requirement to exercise effort, others will find discrediting the teachings less taxing on their ingrained conditioning.

Yes, for me I found peace and happiness after understanding life, which happens to be similar with Buddhism. As a kid, I was taken to the church several times and after much study on Christianity, the Bible, their history and know that they are partly copied from Buddhism and betrayed Judaism. After further much medical studies and understanding placebo effects, I know Christianity is all bullshit. Later, I observed many devoted Christians suffered near the end of their life when they realised all their prayers don't really work.

But then, if you are an atheist and live a "correct" life, you are just the same as a Buddhist but without being one.

Though learning Buddhism helps you to understand life better and helps you to live a happier life without the ignorance, faster.

I dont think understanding life is anything like Buddhism. Buddhism believe in many things such a reincarnation until you learn true peace and become "one" with the universe. Some people believe this, some people dont.

For me it is all about living a decent life and treating people around you with respect, no matter who they are, and understanding that we are all equal and the same, irrespective of financial status or some other class BS. We are all born, live and die, full stop.

As for trashing Christianity because you have done some medical studies well, that's nonsense really. Did you know there are over 2 billion Chrisitans in the world (and growing apparently) and many will be doctors far more advanced in medical knowledge then yourself i am sure.

As long as people live a peaceful life and feel happy then its OK in my book..

As for trashing Christianity because you have done some medical studies well, that's nonsense really. Did you know there are over 2 billion Chrisitans in the world (and growing apparently) and many will be doctors far more advanced in medical knowledge then yourself i am sure.

No, it's not trashing and also nothing to do with medical knowledge.

It was logic that debunked Christianity or any almighty God belief. When I understand enough logic not to believe in such religions, I have not studied any science yet. Of course, if I have heard about evolution earlier, I will not even need to study Christianity.

As long as people live a peaceful life and feel happy then its OK in my book..

I can tell you that most people died with sufferings and regrets, all due to ignorance which they only realise late in life but too late or shameful to admit. That's the worse sufferings. Yes, maybe they are happier earlier but as they grow older, their experience and knowledge will speak for them.

Couldn't agree with you more.

However, there is a subset of the vast majority, who actually do study and work towards practicing, as you refer to it, "a lifestyle ideology for living as a spiritually conscious, and mentally evolving human being" .

There is a concern that others will taint or discredit the original teaching, by referring to the conduct of the vast majority.

For those it will be a pity as there is much to gain both personally and collectively from regular practice of Awareness, Concentration and Ethical conduct focused on Compassion.

But then, faced with the requirement to exercise effort, others will find discrediting the teachings less taxing on their ingrained conditioning.

Well stated, thanks. I'm not quite as generous, as you are, re: "others will find discrediting the teachings less taxing on their ingrained conditioning.". I tend be more pointedly direct in my thoughts, pertaining to the masses, especially considering that we have finally arrived at the precipice, of losing all forms of life, on this planet. And,I am justifiably afraid, all things considered.

However, I am happy to read about the subset of practicing human beings, hopefully not just last millenium throw-backs, but whom are, indeed, the next generation of initiates, instead. I am a 73 years-young cynic, who first came to Thailand as a student, in 2010. My cynicism has now become more rooted-ly entrenched, than ever before. Sigh! wai.gif Best wishes~

Archived