New "proof of address" requirement for 30-day extension on triple-entry TV today at Chonburi (Jomtie

Same here!

This Mon went to Jomtien Immigration for 30 day extension of stay, was handed the usual forms, and then something that had not seen before, a page to be filled out AND signed by owner of the property where I am staying. Curiously the 2 people at Infromation desk encouraged me to fill it up along with the usual application for extension.

So I filled the forms, inculding the statement by property owner, signed everything, and went back to Informtion desk for the que number. Surprise! Was told by Info desk people to go to 2nd floor, and then come back for the que number! Hmm..

First I couldn't find the stairs, there are no signs directing you to the 2nd floor, then I found the stairs, at the end of the waiting area, behind a small corner.

On the 2nd floor there are several offices, doors open, but nothing that looked like a service desk, no signs, no nothing. Then through half open door I saw 2 foreigners sitting in a small office room, I slowly and carefully stepped in, expecting to be kicked out by Immigration staff, since I was sure this is not where I am supposed to be.

Anyways, the 2 people in front of me had papers in their hands, Immigration officer examining one guys papers, it seemd all they cared for was the address form. Papers were handed back to him, and he walked out, not looking happy. Exactly the same thing happened to foreigner No2, this time I overheard what was said, 'proof of residency.. I can not see, go and get this and this..', he walked out as well with the sad face.

Then my turn, have a guess how it went :)

I was told to get a copy of my renatl agreemnet with the condo owner, and a copy of his ownership of the condo. I have met the owner one time in my life, when I rented the place for 6 month, and there is no written agreement, since I wasn't sure I'll stay for 6 month, maybe leave Thailand earlier cos I may get bored here, and Mark, the owner is happy with this arrangement, as long as I tell him month in advance. And I stay 4 month for sure, since there is no point to land in pile of snow in Feb in Europe.

I had 2 days left until 'must exit by' stamp, took a taxi to DM, first flight to KL, and was back Tue morning, another 30 day exempt in passport.

Edited by whitemouse
  • Like 2

Same here. Rayong immigration. I had my papers ready and was told there's more. They gave me a couple of forms (one of them was TM30 I think) and asked me where i live. I said I rent a place owned by a company and they told me to give the papers to the company, which I did. They gave me my extension and I suppose the company sorted out the forms afterwards.

The residence paperwork has actually always been a regulation but largely ignored by most offices. It is up to each individual immigration office how they implement and go about their daily business. Now there is a increased pressure from above to keep better track on foreigners, so regulations are more strictly followed.

Also I would imagine people who come here often for long stays are more scrutinized for running a business/working without WP or other shady activities. The idea is one should obtain the correct VISA for the activity one plans to perform in the Kingdom.

Do not forget that whoever is housing you must according the law inform immigration about your residence within I think 24 hours.

• Like 1

just wondering what paperwork a foreigner staying at a friend's/wife's rented home would need? sounds like more complications are on the way.

A copy of her ID card and Tabian Baan.

A TM30 and I suggest a note from the home owner stating you are staying as a guest and therefore no contract.

All signed with contact number.

Proof of address is nothing new, it's always been the norm in my experience.

Do you expect Immigration just to take your word for it!

These new experiences to some, are a result of some local Immigration offices not enforcing an existing requirement in the past.

First I couldn't find the stairs, there are no signs directing you to the 2nd floor, then I found the stairs, at the end of the waiting area, behind a small corner.

On the 2nd floor there are several offices, doors open, but nothing that looked like a service desk, no signs, no nothing. Then through half open door I saw 2 foreigners sitting in a small office room, I slowly and carefully stepped in, expecting to be kicked out by Immigration staff, since I was sure this is not where I am supposed to be.

When I read this it sounded so similar to my experience, I forgot I was reading someone else's post.

I also had to look hard for the stairs. When arriving at the top of the stairs, there were three apparent directions to go to. To the right there appeared to be people (farangs) sat out on some balcony (smoking?). Immediately ahead there was what appeared to be the entrance to a toilet. This meant that the only way to go was left.

The left room was the only one that looked like an office. But I thought it couldn't possibly be the right place. It had signs saying 'Major crime suppression division' and suchlike. "Well, that's not me", I thought. Then I remembered that I am a foreigner in Thailand, obviously to be dealt with like a major criminal, so I went inside. Lo and behold, it was the right place.

There is an initial 'greeting' room, and a further room behind some partitions where people are sat down at desks working. Nobody was in any kind of identifiable uniform. I actually went into the 'greeting' room and walked out again, because nobody had 'greeted' me. The second time I was addressed by a little chap dressed casually and wearing some Buddha amulet. Previously he had been laughing and joking with his other buddies, in no particular great haste to attend to people. Foreigners slowly started arriving in there. The loud conversations between the 'staff' continued. A scene no doubt many readers can imagine: foreigners with heads down looking sheepish and waiting to be attended to; and seriously relaxed Thai immigration staff bantering with each other with a highly inappropriate casualness and tone.

Anyway, if you find the stairs, once you reach the top it's left you want to go. Stand there, and eventually, when someone can be bothered, you will be attended to.

• Like 1

As said before, the noose slowly tightens.

They will get around to one-year extension holders by and by. Until then, keep gloating, kids. Your turn will come.

I can assure those of us here on annual extensions already have plenty of hoops to jump through and ridiculous red tape to comply with.

• Like 2

Had this Tuesday, was sat in the room upstairs thinking I had a problem for some reason. Fortunately I was also getting a residence certificate for driving licence, so I had the proof needed.

They don't make it easy!

The driving licence is another story, apparently you need a medical certificate now. Got that (no examination, just 100 Baht, so no value really) will try again.

Trying hard to smile at these folk when I REALLY want to scream at them - we all know how well THAT would go. :)

• Like 1

just wondering what paperwork a foreigner staying at a friend's/wife's rented home would need? sounds like more complications are on the way.

Proof of address is nothing new, it's always been the norm in my experience.

Do you expect Immigration just to take your word for it!

These new experiences to some, are a result of some local Immigration offices not enforcing an existing requirement in the past.

Given my reading of previous instances of "new" processes being reported, I would be surprised if people did not say this is just a case of the rules finally being applied.

However, I have been on the triple-entry tourist visa for three years now. I have made several trips to the immigration offices in Saphan Hin (Phuket Town), Chaeng Wattana (Bangkok), and now Jomtien/Chonburi –

and I have never been asked for this proof of address before.

I wonder if this is a surprise to other people?

Next week I need to renew my Retirement Visa. To make sure if the 'accommodation provider’s declaration form' is also required when applying for a Retirement Visa renewal I just called Jomtien Immigration. I was told by a very friendly lady that for application of this type of visa nothing has changed compared to last year. Same papers would be required.

The document the OP is referring to (accommodation providers declaration form) is probably only required for extension of tourist visa's.

Any more info will be welcome.

Next week I need to renew my Retirement Visa. To make sure if the 'accommodation provider’s declaration form' is also required when applying for a Retirement Visa renewal I just called Jomtien Immigration. I was told by a very friendly lady that for application of this type of visa nothing has changed compared to last year. Same papers would be required.

The document the OP is referring to (accommodation providers declaration form) is probably only required for extension of tourist visa's.

Any more info will be welcome.

Key word "probably". Don't bet on it.

I can assure those of us here on annual extensions already have plenty of hoops to jump through and ridiculous red tape to comply with.

I find my retirement extension to be very easy and to require little red tape or hoop-jumping.

Bank letter, photo, copies of passport, 1900B, electricity bill, application form and under one hour of my time spread over two days.

I've been here 10 years on a work extension and the annual process at Chaengwattana never ceases to frustrate me! But at least it's only once a year.

• Like 1

As said before, the noose slowly tightens.

They will get around to one-year extension holders by and by. Until then, keep gloating, kids. Your turn will come.

What noose...enforcing regulations that have always been on the books?

Be carefull doing 90 day renewals accross borders as they might ask for proof of address, they asked me at tachilek /Masai border and I could not remember house number so I made one up, they did not ask for any more than that but I think I was lucky as I had no rental agreemnt or house rego with me.

Next time I will take a copy of rental agreement just in case.

Had this Tuesday, was sat in the room upstairs thinking I had a problem for some reason. Fortunately I was also getting a residence certificate for driving licence, so I had the proof needed.

They don't make it easy!

The driving licence is another story, apparently you need a medical certificate now. Got that (no examination, just 100 Baht, so no value really) will try again.

Trying hard to smile at these folk when I REALLY want to scream at them - we all know how well THAT would go. smile.png

Were you applying for a provisional or first 5 year or renewing a 5 year?

You have always needed a medical certificate other than renewing a 5 year so interested if that has now changed.

Short version - I was asked to complete the TM30 Address notification for a 7 day extension to a 30-day visa exempt entry

Long version - read on...

Went to Jomtien yesterday to request a 7-day extension to my current 30 day visa exempt entry. Thought I had everything but was also requested to complete the TM30 - Address Notification Form.

So docs i ended up needing required were (All copies signed):

1) Address Notification

1 x completed TM 30

1 x copy of passport info page

1 x copy of the valid 30-day visa exempt entry stamp

1 x copy of the TM 6 Departure Card

1 x copy of Rental Contract -(Alternative to rental contracts - House registration if you own the house/condo, House Registration and ID Card of the house owner if staying with someone else, Receipt from your hotel with address.)

No cost to submit

2) Temporary Stay (Extension)

1 x completed TM 7

1 x passport photo

1 x copy of passport info page

1 x copy of the valid 30-day visa exempt entry stamp

1 x copy of the TM 6 Departure Card

1 x copy of Rental Contract -(Alternative to rental contracts - House registration if you own the house/condo, House Registration and ID Card of the house owner if staying with someone else, Receipt from your hotel with its address.)

1 x copy of Receipt of address notification slip (you will receive this after completing part 1.)

1900 Baht

Ultimate workflow after some minor confusion and unnecessary queuing.....

Download and complete TM7 and TM30 from http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download and fill before you go. (available form information desk but why queue twice....??)

Submit all copies and forms to information desk, they will arrange and staple appropriately and then send you upstairs. (you will not get a queue number just yet)

Head into the office upstairs, (2nd door on left i think from top of stairs - big office with lots of wide-eyed farangs inside...)

Not much order here... just keep walking forward with documents in front of you, as many people milling about here waiting for their docs back. Only takes 5-10 minutes to get processed, you will receive a "Receipt of Address Notification" slip. They will send you back to the information desk downstairs but my tip for you all here is to go and copy this slip first. If you queue at the information desk, they will only tell you to go copy it and then re-queue...

Once you have a copy of the slip, present everything to the information desk and if all in order, you will finally get your queue number for the stamp. When called, you'll receive your stamp, pay the 1900 Baht, then visit the office next door for final signature. Job done...

All in all, only took me just under 2 hours, but If i had the TM30 prefilled, copies of my rental contract and cut out some unnecessary queuing, would have been out of there in 30 minutes.

In all honesty, it seem that just about everyone that was queuing at the information desk in front of me, was being asked to fill the TM 30, but I don't know their circumstances.

All staff were very helpful. While waiting for receipt of payment, immigration officer was happy to discuss my options for non-immigration-O visa.

I hope this helps someone.

• Like 2

I gather the METV is a sort of Visa but for those of us not in the know, could somebody please spell it out for me.....Thanking you. (My Pa-Pa always told me... If you do not know something....just ask, that is how we increase our knowledge and be in a position to pass it on and possibly others others 555)

I gather the METV is a sort of Visa but for those of us not in the know, could somebody please spell it out for me.....Thanking you.

METV is Multiple Entry Tourist Visa :

it's a new visa that allow you to enter as many times as you want in Thailand on a6 month period. It targets mainly some Asian countries. It's not a visa made for those who want to "live long time as a tourist" in Thailand.

This new visa will start to be available from tomorrow Nov 13.

It will give you 60 days per entry, that can be extended to 90 using the 30-days extension, object of this topic

Edited by Pattaya46

Yes I experienced the same three weeks ago. Make sure you photocopy the proof slip they

gave you on the second floor. You can use it over again (or so they told me) so you will

not have to go through the upstairs process. (As long as you do not change addresses

that is. That may include hotel room rentals.)

I gather the METV is a sort of Visa but for those of us not in the know, could somebody please spell it out for me.....Thanking you.

METV is Multiple Entry Tourist Visa :

it's a new visa that allow you to enter as many times as you want in Thailand on a6 month period. It targets mainly some Asian countries. It's not a visa made for those who want to "live long time as a tourist" in Thailand.

This new visa will start to be available from tomorrow Nov 13.

It will give you 60 days per entry, that can be extended to 90 using the 30-days extension, object of this topic

Thank you kindly Pattaya 46.

The residence paperwork has actually always been a regulation but largely ignored by most offices. It is up to each individual immigration office how they implement and go about their daily business. Now there is a increased pressure from above to keep better track on foreigners, so regulations are more strictly followed.

Also I would imagine people who come here often for long stays are more scrutinized for running a business/working without WP or other shady activities. The idea is one should obtain the correct VISA for the activity one plans to perform in the Kingdom.

Do not forget that whoever is housing you must according the law inform immigration about your residence within I think 24 hours.

Sounds about right, even at Jomtien. I had a similar problem at Jomtien about 10 years ago, the IO wanted to see confirmation from the hotel that I was staying there and how long I had booked. I had to get a motorbike back into Pattaya, get a letter which was like pulling teeth and return to immigration.

It wasn't very long after they moved from Soi 8 and the place was a right cattle market, ended up taking the whole day to do the extension.