New "proof of address" requirement for 30-day extension on triple-entry TV today at Chonburi (Jomtie

Had this Tuesday, was sat in the room upstairs thinking I had a problem for some reason. Fortunately I was also getting a residence certificate for driving licence, so I had the proof needed.

They don't make it easy!

The driving licence is another story, apparently you need a medical certificate now. Got that (no examination, just 100 Baht, so no value really) will try again.

Trying hard to smile at these folk when I REALLY want to scream at them - we all know how well THAT would go. smile.png

Were you applying for a provisional or first 5 year or renewing a 5 year?

You have always needed a medical certificate other than renewing a 5 year so interested if that has now changed.

It was a new licence. Last time I tried they told me I needed a residence certificate, medical wasn't mentioned, so this time when I waltzed up clutching a residence certificate & was told that I needed a medical too, I was less than amused.

All done now anyway,

I'm the proud holder of 2 new licences.

The eye tests were worrying though, they were passing people who I don't want near me on the road - one could see the colours, but not the pointer, so how safe can he be?

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk

May sound like a Simple question.

What do I take to Immigration? I stay at a guest house on a month to month basis..I have no rental contract!

I do however know that the owner filled out a TM30 and took it to immigration.

I have a letter from Kasikorn Bank with my address on it, will that suffice?

What do I take to Immigration? I stay at a guest house on a month to month basis..I have no rental contract!

Ask the owner for a copy of the receipt for the TM30 report.

A receipt for your rent would be enough proof of address,

Take the receipt for your last monthly rental payment with you.

If the guest house manager keeps the receipts for his TM.30 notifications, see if you can get a copy of the receipt for the notification with which he reported your arrival. If necessary, this should help Immigration to find that notification on their files or their database.

• Like 1

Ubon Joe,

I ask for a receipt of the TM 30. Should that, along with letter from The bank be enough?

I get a receipt when I pay my rent but no address on it other than room number.

The receipt comes from one of those receipt books you can buy at any 7-11.

As ubonjoe and Maestro suggests, the easiest thing to do is just to get or keep a copy of your last payment of the rent wherever you stay (mansion, guesthouse, room, hotel etc).

Just make sure the address is on the reciept, then you are good to go. Signing the TM30 form yourself is accepted, and that is it. Extension given.

Been there two weeks ago, and did just that.

• Like 1

Ubon Joe,

I ask for a receipt of the TM 30. Should that, along with letter from The bank be enough?

I get a receipt when I pay my rent but no address on it other than room number.

The receipt comes from one of those receipt books you can buy at any 7-11.

My reciept was originally without the address too, but I just asked them to add the address on the reciept afterwards. No problem, even in thai letters.

In and out of Jomtien Immigration in 30 min, but more paperwork than last time I was there.

• Like 1

Been doing my renew for the last ten years never been a issue because on my first application was asked for the proof of resident and thereafter have included each year in my package.

10 years living here on "30 days extensions"? I really doubt about that... rolleyes.gif

These topic and rules do *not* concern 1-year extensions wink.png

Why is it that only the westernized tourist areas of Thailand have these difficult immigration policies?

How could tourist areas not want forenigers there?

I am happy to live in hassle free Thai- Thailand.

And I am free to visit the tourist areas when ever I like.

Life is good in the north.

P46,

My bag, My comments was referrence to my extension of retirement. I'm not surprise they ask for proof of residence because in my experience from day one this seem to be a pet pea witht them. There was a time they wanted a copy for your 90 days report. In my own paperworks I have around at least a dozen copies handy just in case. Every year when I do my extension it is like a game to see if they want something new. I have copies of everything because I hate to be told at the last minute go outside and make a copy of this or that?

Then I remembered that I am a foreigner in Thailand, obviously to be dealt with like a major criminal, so I went inside. Lo and behold, it was the right place.

A scene no doubt many readers can imagine: foreigners with heads down looking sheepish and waiting to be attended to; and seriously relaxed Thai immigration staff bantering with each other with a highly inappropriate casualness and tone.

When Thailand was The Land Of Smiles people used to leave their brains at the airport. These days it's their dignity.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The residence paperwork has actually always been a regulation but largely ignored by most offices. It is up to each individual immigration office how they implement and go about their daily business. Now there is a increased pressure from above to keep better track on foreigners, so regulations are more strictly followed.

Also I would imagine people who come here often for long stays are more scrutinized for running a business/working without WP or other shady activities. The idea is one should obtain the correct VISA for the activity one plans to perform in the Kingdom.

Do not forget that whoever is housing you must according the la4w inform immigration about your residence within I think 24 hours.

Sounds about right, even at Jomtien. I had a similar problem at Jomtien about 10 years ago, the IO wanted to see confirmation from the hotel that I was staying there and how long I had booked. I had to get a motorbike back into Pattaya, get a letter which was like pulling teeth and return to immigration.

It wasn't very long after they moved from Soi 8 and the place was a right cattle market, ended up taking the whole day to do the extension.

I'm zeroing in on the "how long I had booked" fragment of this...

So what happens if your hotel booking is currently valid, but falls short of the new 30d extension date you're requesting?

Oh, and an earlier post, where someone said this invoice/receipt has to be "signed", signed by whom? You yourself or someone at the hotel? If someone from the hotel, does it matter who?

Edited by hawker9000

Has anyone heard of this being implemented at Chaeng Wattana? I need to extend my triple entry tourist visa at CW in the next 10 days or so and need to know if I need any additional paperwork to what was needed before..... Thanks!

I'd be interested in hearing this as well. Regardless, I'll be taking something with me just to have in case they do ask for it. We're at a point though where the reqts could literally be imposed and change day-by-day. Obviously have to inconvenience the traveler and keep him guessing as much as humanly possible. Thai Immigration are masters at this.

Has anyone heard of this being implemented at Chaeng Wattana? I need to extend my triple entry tourist visa at CW in the next 10 days or so and need to know if I need any additional paperwork to what was needed before..... Thanks!

I'd be interested in hearing this as well. Regardless, I'll be taking something with me just to have in case they do ask for it. We're at a point though where the reqts could literally be imposed and change day-by-day. Obviously have to inconvenience the traveler and keep him guessing as much as humanly possible. Thai Immigration are masters at this.

I'm waiting for them to insist that all tourists carry GPS devices or maybe even wear ankle braceletsrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

First I couldn't find the stairs, there are no signs directing you to the 2nd floor, then I found the stairs, at the end of the waiting area, behind a small corner.

On the 2nd floor there are several offices, doors open, but nothing that looked like a service desk, no signs, no nothing. Then through half open door I saw 2 foreigners sitting in a small office room, I slowly and carefully stepped in, expecting to be kicked out by Immigration staff, since I was sure this is not where I am supposed to be.

When I read this it sounded so similar to my experience, I forgot I was reading someone else's post.

I also had to look hard for the stairs. When arriving at the top of the stairs, there were three apparent directions to go to. To the right there appeared to be people (farangs) sat out on some balcony (smoking?). Immediately ahead there was what appeared to be the entrance to a toilet. This meant that the only way to go was left.

The left room was the only one that looked like an office. But I thought it couldn't possibly be the right place. It had signs saying 'Major crime suppression division' and suchlike. "Well, that's not me", I thought. Then I remembered that I am a foreigner in Thailand, obviously to be dealt with like a major criminal, so I went inside. Lo and behold, it was the right place.

There is an initial 'greeting' room, and a further room behind some partitions where people are sat down at desks working. Nobody was in any kind of identifiable uniform. I actually went into the 'greeting' room and walked out again, because nobody had 'greeted' me. The second time I was addressed by a little chap dressed casually and wearing some Buddha amulet. Previously he had been laughing and joking with his other buddies, in no particular great haste to attend to people. Foreigners slowly started arriving in there. The loud conversations between the 'staff' continued. A scene no doubt many readers can imagine: foreigners with heads down looking sheepish and waiting to be attended to; and seriously relaxed Thai immigration staff bantering with each other with a highly inappropriate casualness and tone.

Anyway, if you find the stairs, once you reach the top it's left you want to go. Stand there, and eventually, when someone can be bothered, you will be attended to.

alright our kid, I missed you by a couple of days as I was in there last Friday (also with a triple entry tourist visa from Boodles house Liverpool - they are nice in there aren't they? - have you been to the new McDonald's down the bottom of the road on Lord st? Wow - space age or what!)

I was also shocked to see this new proof of address as i'd have to have drove off to get one.... but - the lady in the photocopy room clocked my thai drivers license and she said this would be ok as well instead of the proof of where I am staying.

Edited by nickmanchester2
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Same here!

This Mon went to Jomtien Immigration for 30 day extension of stay, was handed the usual forms, and then something that had not seen before, a page to be filled out AND signed by owner of the property where I am staying. Curiously the 2 people at Infromation desk encouraged me to fill it up along with the usual application for extension.

So I filled the forms, inculding the statement by property owner, signed everything, and went back to Informtion desk for the que number. Surprise! Was told by Info desk people to go to 2nd floor, and then come back for the que number! Hmm..

First I couldn't find the stairs, there are no signs directing you to the 2nd floor, then I found the stairs, at the end of the waiting area, behind a small corner.

On the 2nd floor there are several offices, doors open, but nothing that looked like a service desk, no signs, no nothing. Then through half open door I saw 2 foreigners sitting in a small office room, I slowly and carefully stepped in, expecting to be kicked out by Immigration staff, since I was sure this is not where I am supposed to be.

Anyways, the 2 people in front of me had papers in their hands, Immigration officer examining one guys papers, it seemd all they cared for was the address form. Papers were handed back to him, and he walked out, not looking happy. Exactly the same thing happened to foreigner No2, this time I overheard what was said, 'proof of residency.. I can not see, go and get this and this..', he walked out as well with the sad face.

Then my turn, have a guess how it went smile.png

I was told to get a copy of my renatl agreemnet with the condo owner, and a copy of his ownership of the condo. I have met the owner one time in my life, when I rented the place for 6 month, and there is no written agreement, since I wasn't sure I'll stay for 6 month, maybe leave Thailand earlier cos I may get bored here, and Mark, the owner is happy with this arrangement, as long as I tell him month in advance. And I stay 4 month for sure, since there is no point to land in pile of snow in Feb in Europe.

I had 2 days left until 'must exit by' stamp, took a taxi to DM, first flight to KL, and was back Tue morning, another 30 day exempt in passport.

could you not just book a hotel for one day?

I can assure those of us here on annual extensions already have plenty of hoops to jump through and ridiculous red tape to comply with.

I find my retirement extension to be very easy and to require little red tape or hoop-jumping.

Bank letter, photo, copies of passport, 1900B, electricity bill, application form and under one hour of my time spread over two days.

I've been here 10 years on a work extension and the annual process at Chaengwattana never ceases to frustrate me! But at least it's only once a year.

dont you ever have to leave the country, with your visa?

I can assure those of us here on annual extensions already have plenty of hoops to jump through and ridiculous red tape to comply with.

I find my retirement extension to be very easy and to require little red tape or hoop-jumping.

Bank letter, photo, copies of passport, 1900B, electricity bill, application form and under one hour of my time spread over two days.

I've been here 10 years on a work extension and the annual process at Chaengwattana never ceases to frustrate me! But at least it's only once a year.

dont you ever have to leave the country, with your visa?

I have an Extension of stay which is renewed each year. Never needed a visa since my first Non-imm B 10 years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/12/2015 at 9:57 AM, manchesterlalala said:

Given my reading of previous instances of "new" processes being reported, I would be surprised if people did not say this is just a case of the rules finally being applied. However, I have been on the triple-entry tourist visa for three years now. I have made several trips to the immigration offices in Saphan Hin (Phuket Town), Chaeng Wattana (Bangkok), and now Jomtien/Chonburi –

and I have never been asked for this proof of address before.

I wonder if this is a surprise to other people?

This is an old post, but the TM30 proof of residence for permanent visas was always a requirement with the stub stapled into the passport same as the last 90 day stub; however, it was not enforced or done at all when I arrived in 2005. Then suddenly only a few years ago it was enforced with a 1600 baht fine if you didn't already have the stub in your passport that you couldn't have had in the first place. My Thai wife stubbornly refused to believe me until I took her to Immigration and she heard if from the horse's mouth. These things just happen, don't let it get under your skin. 

• Like 2