The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

So with this METV once you have it!

You can stay for 6 months, enter and re enter as often as you like but must leave every 60 days?

Do we know if the 60 days can be extended by 30 days like old TV? Thus would make it similar to old multi 60 day TV albeit can only be obtained in home country.

Cheers

You can stay for 6 months, enter and re enter as often as you like but must leave every 60 days?

Do we know if the 60 days can be extended by 30 days like old TV? Thus would make it similar to old multi 60 day TV albeit can only be obtained in home country.

Cheers

The visa allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. You can do an entry just before the enter before date on it and get a new entry.

I have seen nothing that states you cannot get the 30 day extension of an entry from it.

• Like 1

I see the Thai Consulate in Washington has now posted their METV requirements for Americans. Yes, the bank balance and employment requirements are there. Regarding the funds, it is interesting that they state "bank balance or evidence of adequate finance", so presumably that could mean monetary assets other than bank accounts, such as accounts at investment firms.

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes.
Documents Required:

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. One visa application form completely filled out (Download)
3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders Photos must be taken within 6 months.
4. Flight confirmation/reservation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
5. Hotel reservation confirmation (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must clearly appear on it)
7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
8. An employment verification
9. For students, full-time student status proof
10.For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name.
11.For minor under 20 years old, copy of a birth certificate, copies of mother and father’s passports/ID and copy of Marriage Certificate if any, letter of consent from mother and father for the minor to travel abroad in case not accommany with the child (have to be notarized) . in case of sole custody, a copy of court order must be provided

this experience may help with obtaining the METV.....

when applying for my O_A multiple entry 1 year visa(based on retirement) in Australia the financial requirements are very similar.

I supplied embassy:1/ thai bankbook(bal.about 150k baht)plus copies of bank statements

2/ copies of my Australian bank statements showing rental income(signed by bank)

3/ copy annual statement of my superannuation fund(showing monthly withdrawl)

Obtained the visa with no problems.

I guess the critical thing is they just want you to prove you have the resources to be fully supported when here.

So you can probably have many different ways to demonstrate you have the resources,,not just money in the bank...

Interesting to see how it all goes in the real world though.

Good Luck everyone....

Gota love LOS

• Like 2

From Washington, DC Royal Thai Embassy website:

Processing time : (with completed documents)
In person 2-5 business days
By mail minimum 15 business days

So this is not easy to do unless you are willing to spend about a month or more in USA if using mail (and then hope there's no snafu with your return flight) or spend a week or so yourself in Washington DC to get the METV done.

Sydney seems to still be offering Double Entry Tourist Visas for $90 while Canberra has stopped it & now offers METV for $225, if you look & compare their application forms between the 2 of them.

Edited by bbi1

Cheers

Who says you can stay only for 6 months? The visa is valid for 6 months so if you enter the 3rd time before the expiry & extend for 30 days at Chaeng Wattana after those 2 months are expiring, you will get about 9 months before needing to get a new visa. In essence it would be similar to the old 3 entry tourist visa which you could get hardly anywhere except a few lucky cities around the world.

Cheers

Who says you can stay only for 6 months? The visa is valid for 6 months so if you enter the 3rd time before the expiry & extend for 30 days at Chaeng Wattana after those 2 months are expiring, you will get about 9 months before needing to get a new visa. In essence it would be similar to the old 3 entry tourist visa which you could get hardly anywhere except a few lucky cities around the world.

That's the sort of answer I like. Maybe worth while after all. Shame you have to go home to get next one. Interesting to see into future how many back to back they will allow?

Sydney seems to still be offering Double Entry Tourist Visas for $90 while Canberra has stopped it & now offers METV for $225, if you look & compare their application forms between the 2 of them.

If you look at their tourist visa page it only mentions a single entry visa and the METV.

See: http://www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/Home/visa

You need to enter your home country to get the info.

Edit: Ooops Entered Australia the first time for above info. Used US and it shows a single and double entry visa with no METV. So perhaps they will do a 2 entry for a non Australian.

• Like 1

The killer with the metv is the requirements. Most of them such as money in bank and proof of empliyment, while supid , can be satisfied. In time if metv becomes available other than just your home country then it could be a popular usefull visa. All depends if the initial silly requirements are maintained over time

• Like 2

I do not consider it unreasonable that a country should establish a visa policy where a visa applicant gets some preferential treatment when applying for a visa in their home country rather than to apply at the embassy/consulate in a third country.

I do not consider it unreasonable that a country should establish a visa policy where a visa applicant gets some preferential treatment when applying for a visa in their home country rather than to apply at the embassy/consulate in a third country.

if so apply that notion to all the visas available for thailand. Why have a setv (tourist visa) available in many countries. Also throw in the non o etc etc. Zero logic.

if so apply that notion to all the visas available for thailand. Why have a setv (tourist visa) available in many countries. Also throw in the non o etc etc. Zero logic.

Not 'if so' it is so.

• Like 1

Cheers

What does ubonjoe think of bb1's point please? Could you effectively stay 9 months like the old triple entry visa?

• Like 1

Clearly failed logic 101

Maybe so but they just announced the new rules and regulations last week and already you want them to do something different.

I am not alone in thinking that these requirements are antiquaited and just plain crazy. Time will tell if they relax some of the requirements. Such as job etc. Even funds in a bank is just silly. In meantime thaivisa is a forum to discuss. Sadly many threads have become crazy with nasty posts. Such as send all the dn home etc.

i personally live here on non o so does not effect me. However i believe this metv is not have much common sense. As a result i find it hard to profile a target group it suits

If you want to have a discussion as to how you and others think the rules should be that's fine. I presume many on here are trying to figure out how the rules might apply to them TODAY. Maybe there will be revisions -- maybe not. I am here on extension of stay but, if a different visa arrangement might better suit my purposes, I want to know about it.

BTW a profile it seems to suit by reading accounts on India travel websites is families from India who are not eligible for 30 day visa exempt entries and make frequent short stay visits to Thailand.

Edited by JLCrab

Cheers

What does ubonjoe think of bb1's point please? Could you effectively stay 9 months like the old triple entry visa?

If you do an entry on or before the enter before date on the visa you will get another 60 day entry. So yes it is equal to having the old 3 entry tourist visa.

• Like 2

The killer with the metv is the requirements. Most of them such as money in bank and proof of empliyment, while supid , can be satisfied. In time if metv becomes available other than just your home country then it could be a popular usefull visa. All depends if the initial silly requirements are maintained over time

There are two possible explanations as to intended consequences of the introduction of the METV visa and removal of the DETV and TETV.

Possibility A: Reduction of large number of visitors previously using DETV/TETV to stay longterm. If this is the case, requirements will stay in place and we'll see few METV issued.

Possibility B: Attempt to financially qualify long stay visitors. If this is the case, requirements for documentation will be loosened as they prove completely unworkable. Expect to still have to show sufficient funds in a bank or brokerage account.

My guess is on B - you'll see that Portland, Oregon already has this figured out . . . .

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870290-metv-from-london-embassy/page-7#entry10075516

I just wonder how long it will take other embassies and consulates to come round to this point of view.

• Like 2

If you look at their tourist visa page it only mentions a single entry visa and the METV.

Edit: Ooops Entered Australia the first time for above info. Used US and it shows a single and double entry visa with no METV. So perhaps they will do a 2 entry for a non Australian.

I tried AUS, UK, USA and others and the options for tourist visas were only SETV and METV. No doubles.

Edited by elviajero

I tried AUS, UK and USA and others and the options for tourist visas were only SETV and METV. No doubles.

Just checked again and it is the same as you wrote. I might of had a eye error and clicked transit visa which does show the double entry.

• Like 1

I think for visitors to Thailand that have the METV visa, they will no longer be more scrutinized by the IO as they passed the embassy requirements to have enough funds to support themselves. Their have been passed reports, specially on the border to Malaysia that even tourists with valid visas have been screened and some even had to pay pocket money to the IO to get admitted into Thailand.

Some how for Digital Nomads or anyone under 50 years, they too can get a METV and can stay up to around 240 Days plus one extension for 30 days, so they can make Thailand their base for up to 270 days and just need to drop over a border every 2 months. I think the employment part can be somehow bypassed by showing more cash in the bank account etc.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 2

I think for visitors to Thailand that have the METV visa, they will no longer be more scrutinized by the IO as they passed the embassy requirements to have enough funds to support themselves. Their have been passed reports, specially on the border to Malaysia that even tourists with valid visas have been screened and some even had to pay pocket money to the IO to get admitted into Thailand.

Some how for Digital Nomads or anyone under 50 years, they too can get a METV and can stay up to around 240 Days plus one extension for 30 days, so they can make Thailand their base for up to 280 days and just need to drop over a border every 2 months. I think the employment part can be somehow bypassed by showing more cash in the bank account etc.

Digital Nomads included as long as they are entering on holiday/vacation for tourism and leisure purpose.

I agree that part of the implementation of this new visa is to better vet the applicants to make sure they have the cash upfront to fund long stays.