The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Are people experiencing the same stringent requirements with the single-entry visas? Or are those still as easy to get as ever?

Stringent how? Because they would prefer people who have a job and a little money in the bank?

It's stringent in that the Liverpool, UK Consulate require six months consecutive statements (nor printouts) where I've binned mine for years.

It's stringent in that at 62 I can't comply with the requirement to supply a letter from my employer (I've been "lucky" to be medically retired)

It's stringent in that they require a photocopy of the hotel booking - not a printout of the email, or if I owned a condo!

It's stringent in that you have to comply with ALL of their requirements.

easyride

You appear to have confused the single-entry tourist visa which JepSoDii was referring to with the multi-entry tourist visa whose conditions you seem to be referring to.

You may need to go back and look again at the application process.

I was referring to the METV.

Edited by easyride

Hi All

Updated information about the new MEV application system

I have just received my new MEV from the London Embassy while I was in the UK, and the good news is it all was very easy.

Obviously this is my own personal story..................

I filled out my application with the following information that is requested

1 x copy of employment contract with UK employer(note copy not original)

1 x copy of proof of employment with UK employer (note copy not original)

1 x copy of my passport

1 x copy of P60 (I guessed this would be suffice as proof of resident

1 x copy of my GF address in Thailand (not hotel reservation)

1 x copy of bank statement

1 x copy of outgoing airline ticket (not return)

I sent this out in the post and had it back 2 days later, no fuss no problems.

To note

My passport already had 4 triple entry visas in it from previous couple of years, I believe from a contact I know at the embassy that if at any point there is an overstay of any length whether one day or 10 years etc, this will work against you, I had never overstayed and always departed on or before scheduled date.

So all worked out very well, even when I arrived at immigration in LOS the old chap was very friendly and wanted to chat about all things football, once I mentioned West Ham he laughed and stamped me in, always knew there had to be some benefits of being a Hammer :)

Hi All

I have just received my new MEV from the London Embassy while I was in the UK, and the good news is it all was very easy.

1 x copy of my passport

To note

My passport already had 4 triple entry visas in it from previous couple of years, I believe from a contact I know at the embassy that if at any point there is an overstay of any length whether one day or 10 years etc, this will work against you, I had never overstayed and always departed on or before scheduled date.

So all worked out very well, even when I arrived at immigration in LOS the old chap was very friendly and wanted to chat about all things football, once I mentioned West Ham he laughed and stamped me in, always knew there had to be some benefits of being a Hammer smile.png

Yes good. You are right same with me, I thought it was all very easy.

But, that is because you have your act together.

Unfortunately, many people do not and therefore it can be burdensome, stringent and basically unattainable.

Enjoy your stay.

I am going to apply for a METV at the end of June. Did you have to give the Embassy a letter from your employer stating your expected return to work date ?

This is a problem for me as I will be handing in my notice and they are only prepared to write a letter saying I am currently employed but they won't put an expected return.

Hi All

1 x copy of my passport

To note

So all worked out very well, even when I arrived at immigration in LOS the old chap was very friendly and wanted to chat about all things football, once I mentioned West Ham he laughed and stamped me in, always knew there had to be some benefits of being a Hammer smile.png

Reasonably easy if you are a full time UK resident. A copy of your passport?? I always had to send the original

Hi All

1 x copy of my passport

To note

Reasonably easy if you are a full time UK resident. A copy of your passport?? I always had to send the original

Sorry meant a copy of the passport with the original !

I am going to apply for a METV at the end of June. Did you have to give the Embassy a letter from your employer stating your expected return to work date ?

This is a problem for me as I will be handing in my notice and they are only prepared to write a letter saying I am currently employed but they won't put an expected return.

No, just a letter of employment should be fine.

• Like 1

No, just a letter of employment should be fine.

I hope when I mention Norwich he will also laugh and stamp me in 555

My consulate did ask for a letter or proof of employment on their requirements. But they told me when i called them, if sufficient funds available, i wouldn't need such a proof of work/employment. When i applied by post for the METV, i added a letter where i explained that my income come from interest rates and dividends. With that, i got the METV. If a consulate refuse the METV because of no job, that would be quite stupid.

Edited by alocacoc

My consulate did ask for a letter or proof of employment on their requirements. But they told me when i called them, if sufficient funds available, i wouldn't need such a proof of work/employment. When i applied by post for the METV, i added a letter where i explained that my income come from interest rates and dividends. With that, i got the METV. If a consulate refuse the METV because of no job, that would be quite stupid.

I have a feeling based on my Embassy rejecting it that the magic number is around 1.2M baht or 36,000 Euro if you cannot prove local employment (200x6 or 6x6).

Although unsubstantiated, I have a feeling that at this level Embassies will "become more understanding".

Next time I'm back (in summer), I will just ask the embassy straight up what balance do they want to see to forget "unemployment" or "overseas employment". Maybe others in this position should do the same and see what's going on.

Ps: alocacoc, Can you confirm what was your consulate's understanding of "sufficient funds" ?

Edited by lkv

Ps: alocacoc, Can you confirm what was your consulate's understanding of "sufficient funds" ?

I didn't ask that. I guess it was the common 7000 Euro / US Dollar or whatever. But the bank statement i showed them was way above.

I didn't ask that. I guess it was the common 7000 Euro / US Dollar or whatever. But the bank statement i showed them was way above.

Yeah at "way above" they seem to bend the rules don't they.

Unfortunately I dont keep too many funds back home they sit better in recognized financial centers in Asia.

But I'm just gonna ask that woman directly next time at mine.

The lady in the consulate.....

Never ask the cleaning lady.wink.png

Immigration officials know there is a possibility that a person might extend and that could mean that they will leave Thailand after 90, 80, 72 days etc, so it's not possible or necessary to have a ticket of departure.

Immigration officials know there is a possibility that a person might extend and that could mean that they will leave Thailand after 90, 80, 72 days etc, so it's not possible or necessary to have a ticket of departure.

Yeah tell that to the "cleaning lady" at my Embassy. You won't even get a SETV without an exit ticket.

Yeah tell that to the "cleaning lady" at my Embassy. You won't even get a SETV without an exit ticket.

Yeah, but that is easy to solve. I found some Travel Offices which sent me a "Booking Confirmation" which was valid for 7 Days. It wasn't a real booking and i hadn't to cancel it. This was accepted by the consulate. You can go the same way directly at some Airlines. But then, it's a temporary booking which must be confirmed within 24hours. It's possible that the consulate will not accept this booking when they know that it is valid only for 24h.

The Travel office i found is specialized in Asia travel. I told them, I don't want to book a flight without to be sure my Visa gets granted. Then she offered me the the flight reservation which is valid for one week. She also confirmed, that the consulate will accept it. Then i got the document as .pdf which was named as "Booking Confirmation". Some offices asked for a small fee for this kind of confirmation. Other offered it for free.

So, this should be the smallest issue.

Edited by alocacoc

It depends on where you get the visa from. Some places do require onward flights.

I solved it in ways i do not wish to discuss on this forum. Ticket number was needed, booking was not sufficient. Some Embassies are stricter than others.

An alternative solution however is a cheap Air Asia flight.

Edited by lkv

Have been to the Thai consulate in Dubai for the long stay visit visa . They do not issue visas for longer than 6 months - for US citizens. You need to be resident of Dubai with work contract to get it . The hinted, however, it would be better to enter with a visa on arrival and do the border runner every 90 days .

Have been to the Thai consulate in Dubai for the long stay visit visa . They do not issue visas for longer than 6 months - for US citizens. You need to be resident of Dubai with work contract to get it . The hinted, however, it would be better to enter with a visa on arrival and do the border runner every 90 days .

You should obtain a single entry tourist visa which will allow a stay of 60 days which can be extended by 30 days at any immigration office.

Americans are not eligible for a visa on arrival but may qualify for a visa exempt entry which provides a stay of 30 days

Following the advice given by the consul will result in you overstaying and being liable for a fine of 500 Bht a day

• Like 1

Many thanks for your prompt reply . I was informed that the initial granting of stay of 30 days ( perhaps I have mistakenly referred to it as visa on arrival) at the airport can be extended up to 90 days prior to any border run . Also they confirmed that 'land' re-entry for Americans will win them 30 days and not 15 days

Many thanks for your prompt reply . I was informed that the initial granting of stay of 30 days ( perhaps I have mistakenly referred to it as visa on arrival) at the airport can be extended up to 90 days prior to any border run . Also they confirmed that 'land' re-entry for Americans will win them 30 days and not 15 days

A 30 day visa exempt entry can only be extended once for 30 days at immigration. At the end of that 60 days you would have to leave the country to get a new entry.

When you mentioned a long stay visa was that a OA long stay visa for retirement?

Did you ask about getting a single entry tourist visa?

Unfortunately Consuls don't always give correct advice.

Immigration are cracking down on the overuse of visa exempt entry, and especially back to back border runs to get 30/15 day visa exempt entries. It's meant for tourism and not someone to stay here long term. You are best advised to at least use METV's/SETV's if you want to stay here, but you should get a non immigrant visa if your intention is to stay long term.

You will only be able to get the non 'O-A' long stay visa from the US. However, if you can meet the financial requirements and are over 50 you can get a single entry (90 days) non 'O' visa from embassies/consulates neighbouring Thailand. Having entered Thailand with that visa you can, during the last 30 days, extend your stay for 1 year. You can renew that extension of stay every year.

Immigration are cracking down on the overuse of visa exempt entry, and especially back to back border runs to get 30/15 day visa exempt entries. It's meant for tourism and not someone to stay here long term. You are best advised to at least use METV's/SETV's if you want to stay here, but you should get a non immigrant visa if your intention is to stay long term.

You will only be able to get the non 'O-A' long stay visa from the US. However, if you can meet the financial requirements and are over 50 you can get a single entry (90 days) non 'O' visa from embassies/consulates neighbouring Thailand. Having entered Thailand with that visa you can, during the last 30 days, extend your stay for 1 year. You can renew that extension of stay every year.

Going the non 'O' route and extention to stay a year based on retirement can a re entry permit be obtained to leave and return on the extention to stay ?

Going the non 'O' route and extention to stay a year based on retirement can a re entry permit be obtained to leave and return on the extention to stay ?

Yes. You can apply for a single re-entry permit for 1,000 baht. When you return the IO will stamp you back in until the expiry date of your extension of stay. Multiple re-entry permits are also available for 3,800 baht.

• Like 1

Yes. You can apply for a single re-entry permit for 1,000 baht. When you return the IO will stamp you back in until the expiry date of your extension of stay. Multiple re-entry permits are also available for 3,800 baht.

Do the re entry permit need to be renewed each year when the extention is granted even if not used?

Do the re entry permit need to be renewed each year when the extention is granted even if not used?

Yes, the permit is only good until the expiry date of the stay it was issued for, so if unused it would end when the extension of stay ends. You can buy a re-entry permit at anytime after the extension of stay has been granted from your immigration office, or at the major airports on the day you leave.

A 30 day visa exempt entry can only be extended once for 30 days at immigration. At the end of that 60 days you would have to leave the country to get a new entry.

When you mentioned a long stay visa was that a OA long stay visa for retirement?

Hi There,

Thanks for the relevant question. In fact, I have precisely went for the O A long stay, retirement visa but to my surprise the consulate did not know about it! When I showed the young lady there the Form, she said she had never seen it, and went inside to enquire. She came back saying that these types of visas are given in other countries and suggested – as the below commentator kindly mentioned, to get in the US or other countries.

It seems that the consulate in Dubai is custom-tailored to serve Middle Easterners and people from the sub-continent (India).

I decided to apply for the 6 months (multiple), and then I will do the paper work once I’m settled there.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply to quoted text

Hi There,

Thanks for the relevant question. In fact, I have precisely went for the O A long stay, retirement visa but to my surprise the consulate did not know about it! When I showed the young lady there the Form, she said she had never seen it, and went inside to enquire. She came back saying that these types of visas are given in other countries and suggested – as the below commentator kindly mentioned, to get in the US or other countries.

It seems that the consulate in Dubai is custom-tailored to serve Middle Easterners and people from the sub-continent (India).

I decided to apply for the 6 months (multiple), and then I will do the paper work once I’m settled there.

You could apply for a one year extension based upon retirement here if you are 50 or over. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You first would need to convert to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration.

If you have time you could try and get a single entry non immigrant O visa for being 50 or over at the consulate or at least a single entry tourist visa.

Ubonjoe

Just to clarify, if I get a visa exempt at airport, then go to immig and get a 30 day extension, if I leave the country during the extension I can return and get another visa exempt. It seems like an easy yes but I want to make sure. Thanks

Ubonjoe

Just to clarify, if I get a visa exempt at airport, then go to immig and get a 30 day extension, if I leave the country during the extension I can return and get another visa exempt. It seems like an easy yes but I want to make sure. Thanks

Yes you can unless you have a lot of previous visa exempt entries that might result in some questions being asked when you enter the country.