Jump to content
BANGKOK 21 February 2019 21:21
ubonjoe

The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Recommended Posts

I am British and can supply the necessary documents for an METV application in London. Howevever, my wife is from a non-EU country and cannot show any job in the UK (she is currently working on a short-term contract in Indonesia but isn't from ASEAN) and does not have a UK bank account. I am wondering if the Thai embassy would let both us apply for an METV with perhaps a marriage certificate (translated into English as we weren't married in the UK)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dastott said:

I am British and can supply the necessary documents for an METV application in London. Howevever, my wife is from a non-EU country and cannot show any job in the UK (she is currently working on a short-term contract in Indonesia but isn't from ASEAN) and does not have a UK bank account. I am wondering if the Thai embassy would let both us apply for an METV with perhaps a marriage certificate (translated into English as we weren't married in the UK)?

I have never seen any report of any similar situation being allowed and so I expect your wife's application would be denied. The only way to know would be to ask. Is your wife a UK resident (e.g. ILR holder)? This would be a requirement.

 

METV applications can also be made at the various UK consulates who might be more approachable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dastott said:

I am British and can supply the necessary documents for an METV application in London. Howevever, my wife is from a non-EU country and cannot show any job in the UK (she is currently working on a short-term contract in Indonesia but isn't from ASEAN) and does not have a UK bank account. I am wondering if the Thai embassy would let both us apply for an METV with perhaps a marriage certificate (translated into English as we weren't married in the UK)?

The chances that the embassy would issue someone an METV based purely on the fact that they are married to someone who as an METV is essentially zero. Even if substantial, continuing bank balances could be shown, she would not get an METV in the UK without being a UK resident.

 

Years ago (and still theoretically on the books, but never now allowed) there was a Non O visa category "visit family and friends". It was referred to as a social visa, and would have been appropriate in your case. It was widely abused, and was discontinued in the first crackdown on Thai visa abuse.

 

If we knew your wife's nationality, any other countries where she is a legal resident, and whether she in her own right can meet the financial requirements for an METV, we might be able to provide advice on the best way forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I was fearing that was the case. She is Japanese and can meet all the financial requirements on her own but has never lived in the UK. She can probably apply from Japan but I would have to apply from the U.K. 

Edited by dastott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dastott said:

Thanks, I was fearing that was the case. She is Japanese and can meet all the financial requirements on her own but has never lived in the UK. She can probably apply from Japan but I would have to apply from the U.K. 

I think that is right. I am assuming she does not have legal residence in any other country. Perhaps, trips to home country (UK in your case, Japan in hers) can be combined with visiting family and friends making it less onerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. She won't have legal residence in another country by the time we go to Thailand. Of course, the METV starts from the day of issue (?) making it rather complicated for us.

Edited by dastott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dastott said:

Thanks. She won't have legal residence in another country by the time we go to Thailand. Of course, the METV starts from the day of issue (?) making it rather complicated for us.

Indeed! Visa formalities can sometimes be a real bore.

 

Maybe one way of working it would be for her to get a single entry visa from the UK at the same time you get your METV, and you could arrange her METV from Japan at the end of your first entry to Thailand.

 

Nothing is going to be ideal. Good lick.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a 49 yo man married to a Thai national. Last year I found an agent in Laos who obtained a 1 year Non-imm O ME. I need ME because I work around Asia (never Thailand) but mostly China and travel in amd out of the country frequently. This year I went to contact him again and can only assume that with the visa changes in Laos that he has ceased to operate. My Visa expired 21st January and I returned to Thailand on 25th on VoE 30 days.

 

I was advised by a guy that I met yesterday that it is possible to get a METV 60 days or a Non-imm O ME 90 days at the Cambodia border without staying over night in Cambodia.

 

Can anyone confirm this and / or recommend the best border point to do this. We currently live in Pattaya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bartman1369 said:

I am a 49 yo man married to a Thai national. Last year I found an agent in Laos who obtained a 1 year Non-imm O ME. I need ME because I work around Asia (never Thailand) but mostly China and travel in amd out of the country frequently. This year I went to contact him again and can only assume that with the visa changes in Laos that he has ceased to operate. My Visa expired 21st January and I returned to Thailand on 25th on VoE 30 days.

 

I was advised by a guy that I met yesterday that it is possible to get a METV 60 days or a Non-imm O ME 90 days at the Cambodia border without staying over night in Cambodia.

 

Can anyone confirm this and / or recommend the best border point to do this. We currently live in Pattaya.

You can get a 1-year Non-O-ME in Savannakhet Laos or HCMC Vietnam w/o financials, or in Penang with financials.  You do not need an agent in Laos - they may not even allow an agent to help (i.e. "ceased to operate"), but agents are reported to be helpful in Penang.  See this thread for how it works in Savannakhet:

 

... it's a long-running thread, but nothing of substance has changed since the first posts.  No need for an agent at all - it's simple.

 

All you would get from an "out/in" run to Cambodia is a 30-day Visa-Exempt entry - and only if you do NOT use the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing. 

 

An METV is only available from a Thai-Consulate in your passport-country.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...