BANGKOK 21 June 2019 07:07
ubonjoe

The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

8 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Interesting point. Let's say somebody has been living in Thailand 9 months per year on tourist visas for three years in a row, what really are the chances of him getting denied entry at Suvarnabhumi airport? One in three? One in ten? One in a hundred? One in a thousand?

No one can really give you a figure (though I expect some will try). One thing is for sure: it would be very risky trying to enter visa exempt with that kind of history. Besides time in country, there are many other factors that could contribute to denied entry with a visa. Some that come to mind are nationality, age, grooming, and how articulate you are under questioning.

Who says you can stay only for 6 months? The visa is valid for 6 months so if you enter the 3rd time before the expiry & extend for 30 days at Chaeng Wattana after those 2 months are expiring, you will get about 9 months before needing to get a new visa. In essence it would be similar to the old 3 entry tourist visa which you could get hardly anywhere except a few lucky cities around the world.

Who says you can stay only for 6 months? The visa is valid for 6 months so if you enter the 3rd time before the expiry & extend for 30 days at Chaeng Wattana after those 2 months are expiring, you will get about 9 months before needing to get a new visa. In essence it would be similar to the old 3 entry tourist visa which you could get hardly anywhere except a few lucky cities around the world.

That's based on you getting the METV just before you fly. My max is usually around 8.5 months

24 minutes ago, kmw said:

I am now on my 5th metv back to back, I fly back to Sydney for about 10 days to obtain another metv once a year, and never really had an issue with immigration, I normally fly into Bangkok or Chiang Mai, only once was asked by an IO if I worked in thailand, I said no, I am on holiday and she stamped me through, will be going for a 6th metv back to back in August this year 

Where do you go to be able to get your next 90 days?

Enter before a few days of the valid to date gives you an extra 60 days,  so about 8 months, then extend at immigration for 30 days, so total is about 9 months, then unusually get a 90 day medical extension, so total about one year 

Enter before a few days of the valid to date gives you an extra 60 days,  so about 8 months, then extend at immigration for 30 days, so total is about 9 months, then unusually get a 90 day medical extension, so total about one year 
you apply for METV a day before you fly? because you'd need to do that to get 9 months

I usually fly into Sydney and apply, takes them 3 days to issue the metv at the Thai consultant l, once issued I fly back to Thailand 

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, kmw said:

you apply for METV a day before you fly? because you'd need to do that to get 9 months

There are some consulates where the whole process of getting the visa takes 30 minutes.

But i always go 2-3 days before the flight, to cover the case that my car breaks down on the way to the consulate and i could not arrive there at this day.

There are some consulates where the whole process of getting the visa takes 30 minutes.
But i always go 2-3 days before the flight, to cover the case that my car breaks down on the way to the consulate and i could not arrive there at this day.
i usually go a week before the flight. The METV gets processed the same day but there is a risk of people being ill etc. People often quote 9 months but i don't think its worth the risk of leaving it too late

I'm from the US,I'll be completing my METV than apply for a  final 30 day extension on it.

I would like to do a land visa exempt entry before the 30 days are up to gain another 30 days!  Will this be a problem!

5 hours ago, riclag said:

I'm from the US,I'll be completing my METV than apply for a  final 30 day extension on it.

I would like to do a land visa exempt entry before the 30 days are up to gain another 30 days!  Will this be a problem!

No problem to get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a land border crossing. 

It should not be a problem as long as you do not use the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing.  Also, if you use a crossing to Malaysia, you may need to spend at least 1 night out before returning.  You could also extend that 30-day visa-exempt entry for another 30-days.

• Thanks 1

As long as you do not try to do it at Poipet/Aran, using a land crossing to get a visa exempt entry should be no problem.

Note, however, that those spending a large proportion of their time in Thailand as tourists are well advised to avoid racking up visa exempt entries. If you have very few visa exempt entries since 2015, you are more likely to survive an attempt to enter visa exempt by air should be need arise. I would advise you to avoid routine use of visa exempt entries (even where they are no problem in isolation) for that reason.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a land border crossing. 

Thanks