The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your METV has not expired yet you could leave and re-enter the country for a new 60 day entry from it.

OK - so I guess my question is whether this existing 'grace period' extends the METV I have now ... ?

The 'grace period' went into effect before mine expired.  So - is the METV I have now still valid?

Since this 'grace period' is a brand new thing, I'd assume there's gonna be questions/wrinkles like this that maybe weren't 100% resolved when they did it. 

DS

21 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

OK - so I guess my question is whether this existing 'grace period' extends the METV I have now ... ?

The 'grace period' went into effect before mine expired.  So - is the METV I have now still valid?

No, the Visa still expires same as before. The amnesty applies to the permit to stay stamp. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MrKFC said:

Hoping I have this METV related question in the right topic - 

Mine expired Apr 25 but I fit into their very generous automatic extension till July 31, all good.

But with the Covid scene in the US being what it is, I'm not at all sure I want to return that soon, so I'm starting to ask around and see what my options might be.

I've been checking here, and before they made that July 31 extension, my plan was to pay 1900 baht for 30 days, and one guy said he was confident that, if the borders opened, I'd be able to do a run at the end of that extension, May 24 or so, for another 60. 

So, if that's  accurate - (would have been able to do a run at the end of May) - what I'm wondering is if there's any way to know/anticipate how they'll be dealing with this at the end of July? If there's a border open by then, might I be able to do a run with this METV then and be OK till end of September? 

Thanks,

DS

Nobody can tell you for sure when borders will reopen for foreigners or what the conditions will be for foreigners wishing to enter the country. I think you need to wait until the middle of July, and see what the near term prospects look like at that time. My personal gut feel is that just doing a border bounce for a visa exempt entry is unlikely to be possible this year.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

The amnesty is only for the 60 day entry from your METV or the 30 day extension of it.

It does not extend your METV visa issued by an embasy or consulate.

If you have not used the 30 day extension of the 60 days you may be able to apply for it near the 31st of July.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

No, the Visa still expires. The amnesty applies to the permit to stay stamp. 

Ok, that's what I'd guessed, thanks. 

As I understand it, they've been far less receptive to farangs doing lots of visa runs, only 2 land entries etc ... ?

Make me wonder if the borders open by end of July and I do a run, would I be able to get the usual 30 days on entry and then 1900 baht for another 30? I arrived early October, 2019.

Do you know whether I have to return to the US before I can apply for another METV? 

DS

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think you need to wait until the middle of July, and see what the near term prospects look like at that time. My personal gut feel is that just doing a border bounce for a visa exempt entry is unlikely to be possible this year.

That's my plan, right now just trying to get a feel for what people who actually know something are thinking. It's brand new territory and the landscape is changing all the time, will be different in a month. 

4 hours ago, MrKFC said:

Ok, that's what I'd guessed, thanks. 

As I understand it, they've been far less receptive to farangs doing lots of visa runs, only 2 land entries etc ... ?

Make me wonder if the borders open by end of July and I do a run, would I be able to get the usual 30 days on entry and then 1900 baht for another 30? I arrived early October, 2019.

Do you know whether I have to return to the US before I can apply for another METV? 

DS

Before current restrictions it appeared they were being tough on people trying to effectively live in Thailand on tourist visas and Visa Exempt entries, had the odd tales of those being given a tough time on entry at airports.

If the borders reopen and 'old' rules and requirements are applied, yes a Visa Exempt at a land crossing and a single extension in Thailand at immigration would be theoretically possible. Hard to predict where we will be in August though. Limited to 2 Visa Exempt entries per calendar year by land. 

METV only available in your residence country, a SETV can be obtained in nearby countries.

• Like 1

In Germany, there is a new requirement for METV. Unless you have a confirmation of employment, you will need a financial support statement from your guarantor at home (not Thailand - home!). Plus bank statements of the last three months with a minimum amount of €5000. An immatriculation certificate also works (http://german.thaiembassy.de/visaarten-und-erforderliche-unterlagen). Of course, different countries will have different conditions. In my case, this effectively kills METV. As I'm not 50 yet and gay married (which is not recognized as a basis for Non-Imm 0), I can only apply for SETVs from now on.

Edited by RaduAlex

Hi guys,

I have a few questions. Excuse me if these are answered already; I couldn't find it. 

I am from the Netherlands

I have a METV. Visa was valid till 05/05/2020

Came here 1/12/2019

Stayed 60 days, extended 30 days

Did a border(not a visa run!) run at Cambodia at 28 feb

Stayed 60, extended for 30, now I can stay till 26-05-2020 according to the stamp.

Question 1: Can I stay automatically till the end of July?

Question 2: If I come back next year with again a METV, will they make problems at immigration? Is this allowed?

Question 3: Could we stay longer at the end of July (just the same question as the guy here above basically)

I understand especially Question 2&3 is confusing because of Corona and everything; I just wonder if someone has already did this. I have been in Thailand 3 times before (1 month 2016, 3 months 2018, 1 week begin 2019)

Thank you!

8 hours ago, E020 said:

Hi guys,

I have a few questions. Excuse me if these are answered already; I couldn't find it. 

I am from the Netherlands

I have a METV. Visa was valid till 05/05/2020

Came here 1/12/2019

Stayed 60 days, extended 30 days

Did a border(not a visa run!) run at Cambodia at 28 feb

Stayed 60, extended for 30, now I can stay till 26-05-2020 according to the stamp.

Question 2: If I come back next year with again a METV, will they make problems at immigration? Is this allowed?

Question 3: Could we stay longer at the end of July (just the same question as the guy here above basically)

I understand especially Question 2&3 is confusing because of Corona and everything; I just wonder if someone has already did this. I have been in Thailand 3 times before (1 month 2016, 3 months 2018, 1 week begin 2019)

Thank you!

1. Yes.

2. The attitude of immigration in the future to frequent/long stay tourists remains to be seen.

3. Unless the automatic extension is extended again (past the end of July) you will either need to leave or find a legitimate reason for a regular extension of stay.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, E020 said:

1. Yes

But if the borders are still closed they may extend it again.

2. Not a problem.

3. Not unless you were able to apply for an extension then. If the border crossings are open and flights out of are available they will expect you to leave the country prior to July 31st. They might announce a short period of time that you can stay in the country to give you time to leave.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a letter from my embassy that they said would help me to extend my visa by 30 days, given the current situation.  The letter does not specify 30 days exactly; it only states that they do not object to me applying for visa extensions as a result of "disruptions to travel" caused by the pandemic.

Would this extension apply to my visa's date of expiry?  Or could it possibly apply to the extended date of July 31st?

A bit too hopeful, I know.

30 minutes ago, Common said:

I have a letter from my embassy that they said would help me to extend my visa by 30 days, given the current situation.  The letter does not specify 30 days exactly; it only states that they do not object to me applying for visa extensions as a result of "disruptions to travel" caused by the pandemic.

Would this extension apply to my visa's date of expiry?  Or could it possibly apply to the extended date of July 31st?

A bit too hopeful, I know.

Assuming you were legally in Thailand as of March 28th 2020, there is no need to visit immigration to request an extension. You are automatically extended until 31st July 2020. No stamp in your passport is needed to prove your right to the extension.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Assuming you were legally in Thailand as of March 28th 2020, there is no need to visit immigration to request an extension. You are automatically extended until 31st July 2020. No stamp in your passport is needed to prove your right to the extension.

I understand this.  The extension to July 31st is something I do qualify for.

My question is if I were to use this letter, could it push me out to August 30th?

1 hour ago, Common said:

I understand this.  The extension to July 31st is something I do qualify for.

My question is if I were to use this letter, could it push me out to August 30th?

When would you be planning to use the letter? If you use it now, and they give you a 30-day extension to late June/early July, it will just be a waste of time and 1,900 baht (I think you would still be OK until July 31 though). If you use it around July 31st, I assume the letter would be out of date.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

When would you be planning to use the letter? If you use it now, and they give you a 30-day extension to late June/early July, it will just be a waste of time and 1,900 baht (I think you would still be OK until July 31 though). If you use it around July 31st, I assume the letter would be out of date.

I was planning to use it around end of July, but yes, my fear is that it might be out of date by then.  Though the date on the letter is April 20th, I could request for another one closer to the date to make it more valid.

Thank you for answering BritTim!

On 5/29/2020 at 8:03 AM, BritTim said:

Buona Fortuna upon exit. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SteadyEddie said:

Can I rent a condo without a visa? And just do the visa runs every 30 days. Or would you need proof of a visa before renting?

It is possible to rent some condos when in Thailand on a visa exempt entry. However, for several years, it has not been possible to do unlimited trips out and back to Thailand to get further visa exempt entries. By land, a hard limit of two such border runs per calendar year is enforced. By air, you can probably manage another one or two (depending on the airport you use for entry). You are very unlikely to be able to use back to back visa exempt entries to stay as long as six months.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is possible to rent some condos when in Thailand on a visa exempt entry. However, for several years, it has not been possible to do unlimited trips out and back to Thailand to get further visa exempt entries. By land, a hard limit of two such border runs per calendar year is enforced. By air, you can probably manage another one or two (depending on the airport you use for entry). You are very unlikely to be able to use back to back visa exempt entries to stay as long as six months.

Ok thanks for that. I was looking at the visa requirments for u.k citizens and It says " a letter from the applicants employer" so does that mean I cannot get the visa as I am unemployed? I have all the other stuff.

5 hours ago, SteadyEddie said:

Ok thanks for that. I was looking at the visa requirments for u.k citizens and It says " a letter from the applicants employer" so does that mean I cannot get the visa as I am unemployed? I have all the other stuff.

Evidence of financial security is the most important condition. Other than that, the embassy wants to see evidence that you have ties to the UK, and only intend to visit Thailand. Do you have significant income from pensions, private investments or the gig economy? There are a number of ways you can satisfy the Thai consular officials in the UK, such as the most recent year's tax assessment showing a healthy income. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 8:14 PM, BritTim said:

Evidence of financial security is the most important condition. Other than that, the embassy wants to see evidence that you have ties to the UK, and only intend to visit Thailand. Do you have significant income from pensions, private investments or the gig economy? There are a number of ways you can satisfy the Thai consular officials in the UK, such as the most recent year's tax assessment showing a healthy income. Good luck!

Hi sorry i just seen this, i do have evidence of bank balance to show i have enough to support myself when im out there. I have a self assessment letter but it doesnt state how much i made over the year. Maybe i can get something from hmrc.