Jump to content
BANGKOK 24 June 2019 22:55
ubonjoe

The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Recommended Posts

I find it very suspicious that a Thai embassy in other countries vetts and issues these visa's only to have them further vetted after the fact at the port of entry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

(The whole thing is possibly indicative of a political battle between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Bangkok Immigration Department)

That is my view. The real reasons for these denials of entry cannot be made public because the Immigration Bureau is not supposed to be able to double guess the consular officials on whether people should have been issued visas.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The stringent extra conditions to obtain one and the extra cost therefore seem pointlessly redundant.

You would think so. But can I ask under what criteria are people being turned away under, mostly? The one I heard of recently was simply not having the 20,000 cash or equivalent on arrival at the main airport. Of course finances had been proven to obtain the visa, and the person was not expecting further checks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, elviajero said:

The visa is meant for people living outside of Thailand that want to make multiple short visits.

Quote please of ANY immigration or government official who actually said this. Until and unless you provide one this is just your OPINION. It doesn't even make sense as people coming for multiple short visits will just enter visa exempt - the entire point of SETV and METV is to give the ability to stay 60 days at a time implying longer stays. And FWIW the Thai embassy in my country actually has a recent sign that says you are limited to 90 days in 180 days on visa exempt entries (which is actually false - although they will give you trouble after 6 exempt entries in a year), but entries are not limited using tourist visas.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You would think so. But can I ask under what criteria are people being turned away under, mostly? The one I heard of recently was simply not having the 20,000 cash or equivalent on arrival at the main airport. Of course finances had been proven to obtain the visa, and the person was not expecting further checks. 

As @BritTim states, Section 12 (2) and (3).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is my view. The real reasons for these denials of entry cannot be made public because the Immigration Bureau is not supposed to be able to double guess the consular officials on whether people should have been issued visas.

A visa entitles you to travel to a country and, if admitted, imposes the conditions for your stay. It is entirely up to the Immigration Officer to determine whether to admit the visa holder. True of every country I've ever visited that requires visas including the USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:
8 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is my view. The real reasons for these denials of entry cannot be made public because the Immigration Bureau is not supposed to be able to double guess the consular officials on whether people should have been issued visas.

A visa entitles you to travel to a country and, if admitted, imposes the conditions for your stay. It is entirely up to the Immigration Officer to determine whether to admit the visa holder. True of every country I've ever visited that requires visas including the USA

You would find it instructive to read the Thai Immigration Act. The law specified there is what the Thai immigration officials are supposed to follow, not the law of other countries you have visited. The Immigration Act is very clear about when immigration officials should deny entry. It lists the criteria for denying entry in Section 12 of the Act. The Act further makes clear that only the Minister is allowed discretion in denying entry or allowing entry countermanding the Act's rules. When denying entry, officials must indicate which reason under Section 12 of the Act is the basis of the denial, and you are supposed to be able to appeal the denied entry.

 

On the other hand, the embassies (who are under a different ministry) are permitted to set any conditions for issuing visas they think fit, and can deny you a visa without being required to give a reason (either before or after you have paid the application fee for the visa). There is no appeal process.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, riclag said:

vetting a passport

Embassies don't "vet" passports.  Unless it's got some visible evidence of misdemeanour in it they accept it at face value. They don't have access to Immigration computers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BritTim said:

You would find it instructive to read the Thai Immigration Act. The law specified there is what the Thai immigration officials are supposed to follow, not the law of other countries you have visited. The Immigration Act is very clear about when immigration officials should deny entry. It lists the criteria for denying entry in Section 12 of the Act. The Act further makes clear that only the Minister is allowed discretion in denying entry or allowing entry countermanding the Act's rules. When denying entry, officials must indicate which reason under Section 12 of the Act is the basis of the denial, and you are supposed to be able to appeal the denied entry.

 

On the other hand, the embassies (who are under a different ministry) are permitted to set any conditions for issuing visas they think fit, and can deny you a visa without being required to give a reason (either before or after you have paid the application fee for the visa). There is no appeal process.

How exactly does that contradict what I wrote? That an IO can refuse entry is not disputed, and he must give reasons.  That has nothing to do with whether a visa has been issued. There's nothing to say he must admit everyone who has a visa

Edited by ThaiBunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...