BANGKOK
ubonjoe

The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Hello to all,

This is my first ever message on the forum! I am a little bit overwhelmed by all the information available so I thought it would be maybe easier to ask questions directly. I am sorry if the questions have already been answered somewhere.

I am a 27yo French citizen and I want to move to Thailand. I thought going on a METV first (so I could travel out of the country), before finding a job there and then getting a work visa.

My first question is regarding the financial requirements. Do I really need to prove I had 5000€ each month on my bank account for the past 6 months?

Also, when applying to the METV, do I already need a return flight? Or the first flight out of Thailand?

I thought the METV would give me some flexibility and time before finding a job, but I am getting a bit scared by the list of requirements.

I wonder if I should just opt for the SETV instead but as I understand, I would need a return flight to France when applying. The thing is, I do not plan on going back to France anytime soon.

Many thanks for your help and clarifications.

1 hour ago, marionfrenchy said:

Hello to all,

This is my first ever message on the forum! I am a little bit overwhelmed by all the information available so I thought it would be maybe easier to ask questions directly. I am sorry if the questions have already been answered somewhere.

I am a 27yo French citizen and I want to move to Thailand. I thought going on a METV first (so I could travel out of the country), before finding a job there and then getting a work visa.

My first question is regarding the financial requirements. Do I really need to prove I had 5000€ each month on my bank account for the past 6 months?

Also, when applying to the METV, do I already need a return flight? Or the first flight out of Thailand?

I thought the METV would give me some flexibility and time before finding a job, but I am getting a bit scared by the list of requirements.

I wonder if I should just opt for the SETV instead but as I understand, I would need a return flight to France when applying. The thing is, I do not plan on going back to France anytime soon.

Many thanks for your help and clarifications.

The Paris embassy is known to be strict in their conditions for granting tourist visas.

In general, most consulates would want to see an onward flight out of Thailand, but not necessarily a flight back to France. Thus, a flight to, say, Ho Chi Minh City (an interesting city to explore) would be accepted. Paris might refuse to accept this. I would advise you to check with them directly.

On financials for the METV, I would expect Paris to be inflexible. At many consulates, if you have well over the minimum €5,000, they would often waive the requirement for a large balance every month. That said, the financials is the most important condition to be satisfied for the METV.

33 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The Paris embassy is known to be strict in their conditions for granting tourist visas.

In general, most consulates would want to see an onward flight out of Thailand, but not necessarily a flight back to France. Thus, a flight to, say, Ho Chi Minh City (an interesting city to explore) would be accepted. Paris might refuse to accept this. I would advise you to check with them directly.

On financials for the METV, I would expect Paris to be inflexible. At many consulates, if you have well over the minimum €5,000, they would often waive the requirement for a large balance every month. That said, the financials is the most important condition to be satisfied for the METV.

Many thanks for your answer Tim.

I will ask the Paris embassy then. I expect to have over 5000€ by the end of the year, but they will be split on different bank accounts, and I don't know if that would be acceptable for the visa application.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

That said, the financials is the most important condition to be satisfied for the METV.

So, with the above statement. Would a large amount in the bank be enough to qualify for a METV even if I don't have an employment at the moment?

Of course together with a flight ticket back to my country.

Edited by 12Gon

1 hour ago, 12Gon said:

So, with the above statement. Would a large amount in the bank be enough to qualify for a METV even if I don't have an employment at the moment?

Of course together with a flight ticket back to my country.

It depends on the consulate where you are applying. In many cases, the answer seems to be yes (assuming you are talking a really substantial sum).

My mom has come in with a 6 month holiday Visa and as we know she has to go out before 60 days but she's 91 so I want to rather change her visa to retirement but I can't open a bank account, so does anyone know someone who can assist with this without charging me the earth. Preferably in Pattaya but not a problem if its somewhere else. She's been here 30 days so I've got about 25 days to do this. Thanks in advance. 

29 minutes ago, luis888 said:

My mom has come in with a 6 month holiday Visa and as we know she has to go out before 60 days but she's 91 so I want to rather change her visa to retirement but I can't open a bank account, so does anyone know someone who can assist with this without charging me the earth. Preferably in Pattaya but not a problem if its somewhere else. She's been here 30 days so I've got about 25 days to do this. Thanks in advance. 

Immigration can give you a proof of address. Then just take it to any Kasikorn bank or another if you prefer. Otherwise I have the number of a great agent on Kao Talo. Just helped my friend get a driving license and not expensive. 

Otherwise take a trip to Savnnakeht. I don't believe that you need financial proof there.

Edited by Bartman1369
Add more information

41 minutes ago, Bartman1369 said:

Immigration can give you a proof of address. Then just take it to any Kasikorn bank or another if you prefer. Otherwise I have the number of a great agent on Kao Talo. Just helped my friend get a driving license and not expensive. 

Otherwise take a trip to Savnnakeht. I don't believe that you need financial proof there.

Thanks for your input, yes I think an agent might be the way to go, I'd appreciate the agent in Kao Talo number. Thank you 

Hi guys

I am from Amsterdam, and am sorry but am a bit rushed so I will just drop my situation here.

Want to apply for a METV, I have quit my job officially at 29 November. 30 november I will go to thailand, want to stay 7-9 months with a METV.

Do I have to show a proof of employment in Den Haag / Holland? Because officially  I will be unemployed. Ofcourse, I can just ask proof of employment to my current boss.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, E020 said:

Hi guys

I am from Amsterdam, and am sorry but am a bit rushed so I will just drop my situation here.

Want to apply for a METV, I have quit my job officially at 29 November. 30 november I will go to thailand, want to stay 7-9 months with a METV.

Do I have to show a proof of employment in Den Haag / Holland? Because officially  I will be unemployed. Ofcourse, I can just ask proof of employment to my current boss.

Thanks!

Depends on the embassy or consulate but I was told in the UK that the letter needed to state I would still be employed when I returned from Thailand.

You definitely can't get an METV if you're unemployed.

Edited by edwardandtubs

What's the "safest" entry point with Malaysia?  Read a few bits about Pedang Besar not being the friendliest? Will be flying to Penang from the Uk and heading up to Samui

22 minutes ago, sampson said:

What's the "safest" entry point with Malaysia?  Read a few bits about Pedang Besar not being the friendliest? Will be flying to Penang from the Uk and heading up to Samui

Based on recent reports, just coming up through Sadao by bus or shared taxi seems OK. Make sure you have the 20,000 baht equivalent in cash to show if asked.

Sadao has sometimes been problematic in the past, and there is a small chance they could take a turn for the worse again. However, alternatives like boat from Langkawi are a hassle I would not personally want to endure unless there were sudden reports of issues at Sadao.

Sadao or Padang Besar are safest

8 hours ago, E020 said:

At most consulates when applying for an METV, the only non negotiable requirement is the financials. However, unless you are absolutely loaded, they also will want some objective evidence that you are unlikely to want to stay in Thailand working illegally. The employment letter (stating you are returning to an existing job) is one way of demonstrating this. Another is if you can show you are retired and have adequate funds. They will also be satisfied if you are self employed with a good income.

If your employer is willing to write a short latter like:

This is to confirm that <your name> is employed by <company name>. He is intending to take a leave of absence beginning November 28 2019 to travel in South East Asia, including Thailand. The company is aware of these plans and has no objection.

it ought to satisfy the authorities, and is not an outright lie.

4 minutes ago, nard said:

Sadao or Padang Besar are safest

Historically, Padang Besar (using the train) was great. It should now be avoided.