Do you have trouble with Bangkok taxis?

SoiBiker

I think that you know very well what the problem is with those who complain so vehemently about taxis. Most of them are inveterate complainers, and exaggerators, about everything Thai. The common factor is TBS (Thai Bashing Syndrome).

You'll probably find that you also don't suffer nearly as much from, for example, "police harassment and extortion" in the Thonglor area as these same people when that tired old topic is dragged up.

I have never had a Taxi drive refuse to use his meter, nor refused to take me where I wanted to go.

Though after taking a bus part of the way to a place where I wanted to go (there was no bus service directly to the place).

The crooked driver did not know where I had come from, he was taking part of the road I had already come on the bus as

part of a long way round to where I wanted to go. I demanded he drop me off there and then and he did.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that you know very well what the problem is with those who complain so vehemently about taxis. Most of them are inveterate complainers, and exaggerators, about everything Thai. The common factor is TBS (Thai Bashing Syndrome).

You'll probably find that you also don't suffer nearly as much from, for example, "police harassment and extortion" in the Thonglor area as these same people when that tired old topic is dragged up.

A typically stupid response from someone who sees every criticism of Thais as 'Thai bashing'. I get few issues with taxis these days, but I've had more than enough in the past to recognise when someone is talking through their back passage. Remember - or recognise - that this is a problem common to numerous Thais, not just foreign residents/visitors, and much depends on location, traffic and the type of rain. It's also a problem the Thais could do much to address, if they didn't see a taxi driver as someone doing them a favour - and if they would make a point of reporting every refusal.

As for your observation about the Thonglor police - I can assure you that they are not averse to the odd scam, so highly likely were involved in some shake downs in recent history..

The problem I've encountered is not about getting a ride in a taxi. Only been refused once. Took a pic of teh number plate, reported it and driver's taxi license was cancelled. The bigger problem is teh honesty of taxi drivers. Unless you give them the exact fare, they assume that payment made with a larger denomination note (e.g. 200 baht fare paid for with 500 baht note), they get to keep the change. No effort made by the driver to give you any change. Mostly they pocket the change and try to drive off before you can do anything about it, and then when you challenge them for the change they get upset when you refuse to give them a tip. Also, some of Grab Taxi's drivers are dishonest, and Grab Taxi doesn't help the situation by sweeping complaints under the carpet. Left my mobile phone in the taxi a few weeks ago. Fiance said she phoned me 5 minutes after I got out of the cab, so there was no way the driver would not have heard the phone ring, especially with the Brock Lesnar entrance theme as my ring tone. When I got home, fiance telephoned the driver to ask about my phone. He said he didn't have it and it was not in his taxi. That was a lie. Unbeknown to the driver. I was tracking both my phone and his by GPS on the internet and both phones were in the exact same location. The tracking of both phones was identical for 24 hours. Emailed Grab Taxi to have them contact the driver and recover my phone. It took them 12 days to reply to my email, and then they just stuck their heads in the sand. Of course the driver said he didn't have the phone, and that would have been correct as he had plenty of time to either give it to a friend, sell it, or another passenger found it and kept it. The problem is GT refuse to understand and accept that GPS tracking showed the phone was with the driver or in his taxi for 24 hours after I left it there. Sad to say but when it comes to honesty in this country, it is a very rare character trait.

My recent experiences are that Bangkok taxi drivers are refusing to use the meter both departing and going to Suvarnabhumi Airport. Multiple turn downs in both directions. And there is no longer recourse at the departure queue at BKK as taxi assignments are now handled by computer kiosk.

It is honestly not the couple more USD's I have to pay. It is more the condescending attitude and snark smile that comes along with the turn down. I hate with a passion the stupid farang treatment. So from now on I will travel lighter and take the Airport Rail Link and BTS/MRT whenever possible, and any money I save will go to the street beggars or charity.

SunLover

I'm always amazed when people say they have trouble with taxis LEAVING the airport. Is it the 50 baht extra fee that is really the issue? I just never had a taxi refuse to use the meter leaving the airport and I always wonder what is the demeanor of people who always have issues. Are you so wound up just thinking about what " may" happen and approach each taxi driver with a bit of aggression? Or are you just downright grumpy? Do you ever say even a few words in Thai to the driver? I just don't get it. I wish I could see videos of many of the complainers on here when they can't get a taxi to use the meter ( anywhere). My gut feeling is 95% of these videos would show exactly why.

Wow dude - project much? You were able to read far more into my post than was actually there. I know this is TV and all but I think you need to settle down a bit. My advice is to take a cold shower and put on a fresh wife-beater tee, then hit the Chang Export hard. It is Saturday night after all you might as well make it special.

SL

In the almost 3 years that I've been residing in Thailand, I'v had to travel to Bangkok on only four occasions. Only one experience where a driver quoted me B500 to take me from Don Mueang airport to the Australian Embassy, which I had travelled before at a metred price of B230. Obviously, he did not want to put on the metre, however, when I told him in Thai that I would not travel and as I was getting out he agreed to the metre. Very heavy traffic that day, cost B255.

i never let them know that I am able to speak Thai and wait to see if they try to sting me. On the last occassion that I required a taxi was last Wednesday. Travelled from Don Mueang to Wattana Amphur, not a problem, metre activated so gave a tip. Cost was B230. Later travelled to Krung Thai Bank head office at Sukhumvit, again metred and no problem.

The same afternoon, hailed a taxi but when he said no metre, I told him no fare, so he left. The second taxi agreed to the metre and to take me to Don Mueang but told me in broken English that the toll charges were B100 and the 2nd toll B150, as I had to pay for his return journey. Explained, in Thai, that I was not a tourist and if he wanted the fare, then no overcharging. He laughed and thought it was funny that I had caught him out.

I also gave him directions so he didn't have to use the second toll way, which he well knew and thought this was funny also. No more problems and I gave him a tip, despite him tryingto have a go, which, if he got away with it, then good luck but having struck a farang who knew the way, the costs and could speak Thai, he was very jovial for the entire journey. Maybe I'm lucky that I took time to learn and understand the lingo, which sees me have no trouble at all with taxis. And in no way am I rude, just start speaking to them in Thai if they try their little game and their facial expression is worth a thousand words when they realise they've been caught out.

The only regular issues that I have had were at change of shift, about 4 pm - if I am going in the general direction that they need to go, they take me. If not, they refuse. I understand and do not take it personally. The same with some of the nightlife areas where they are sitting and waiting, in which case they want off the meter and I jut flag a taxi driving past - -

But otherwise, 99% of the time, it is fine - often amusing as some can be talkative and funny.

Suk Soi 4-8, 4 Taxis to Victory Monument wanted 300B, taxis to Don Muang 400 Baht, taxis to Suvarnabhumi 400, 500, 600B. All mid-day.

What does this mean to you? What analysis will you do with this info? I don't get it.

To help you understand...

It was 3 am, I was pi$$ed out of my head, I don't speak any Thai, it was throwing it down with rain and I wanted a Taxi from Sukhumvit Soi 11.... 7 Taxi's in a row tried to charge me 500 baht to Prakhanong... I was too drunk to be bothered and ended up paying the fair... I think the driver was drunk too, he drove like a lunatic.

It was a sunny sunday afternoon, I speak Thai, I flagged down a taxi from Rama IV road to MBK - taxi went straight to his meter, no issues.

It was 5pm on a Friday evening, the Taxi's waiting outside my hotel would only take me to the Airport for 600 Baht. I got angry with the taxi's for trying to rip me off, the drivers ganged round and nearly hit me.

(Note: all these are hypothetical situations to help drive a point home to elgenon and others who may be wondering the same thing).

Each situation can be evaluated on its own individual merit. In Thailand it is very common to experience one level of treatment in one area compared to another (i.e. inside and outside of tourist areas).

So, I very much doubt the Op is going to analyse any of this... However, providing more information helps us (the readers) place far more perspective on each individual situation...

i.e. IF you only take taxi's at night coming home from a bar or club in a tourist area you are far more likely to face taxi issues than if you only ever take taxis in the day time on the outskirts of Bangkok.

I Think it also depends how you look, which area you are, what time of Day. Easy prey, attract certain drivers.

Usually i have no issues, but not tl far a go in a group, where it was Easy to see that they where tourist and at Night time around Asoke, and suddenly all drivers wanted a fixed fare Price

A factually incorrect comment! Anyone who lives in Bangkok and uses or has used the metered taxis knows that a large percentages donot follow the correct rules. Thats why many of us use Uber or other taxi apps. So basically you dont know what you are talking about!

Lived in Bangkok 20 odd years. Most taxi drivers pretty normal. Turn on the meter and take A really great and interesting night out. you to your destination. However ......about 1 in 30 has been an <deleted> in one way or another. In this case I get out....pay what's on the meter and get another taxi. If there is any argument I suggest calling a policeman as an arbitrator. That normally concludes argument.

To offset this , from time to time I meet a taxi driver who is a ' diamond geezer '. Interesting,friendly and honest.... a mine of genuinely useful tips and insight's . I once took one up on an offer to meet up for a drink later and meet his mates. Had great evening drinking and joking and they insisted on paying for all the booze although I did chip in two bottles of beer.

quite often had problems with them I live a bit outside BKK, but here they are ok. But once in the center of BKK its a totally different story. Plenty of problems there mainly not wanting to go to the destination or when out in the tourist area's not wanting to turn on their meters. Good reason to have my own transportation. I was that fed up with it.

Which destinations, and which tourist areas, though?

EVERY TOURIST AREA. Been to bangkok 4 times in the last 2 years and only taxi that turns on the meter are the ones from the airport NO TAXI anywhere else will turn on their meter, Have had over 50 friends all visit bangkok and not one of them found a taxi who would switch on their meter they also charge absurd rates and if you refuse then they refuse to take you!! I do not know one person that has anything good to say about taxis in bangkok!!

Anyone who lives in Bangkok and uses or has used the metered taxis knows that a large percentages donot follow the correct rules.

Actually, as this thread has shown, some of us live in Bangkok and get along just fine with the taxis. Hence my curiosity to figure out why people's experiences differ so much.

So, thanks to all that have responded. I think a clear picture is emerging of why some people have trouble with taxis and others don't.

Basically, it's location, location, location. I don't have problems with them for two reasons -

1 - I don't take taxis from the single digit end of Sukhumvit, or a few other problem areas.

2 - I don't attempt to use taxis for journeys through a lot of heavy traffic, where another form of transport is more appropriate. For example, it would never occur to me to try and get to or from MBK by taxi. The BTS is so much quicker and easier.

It also seems to me that most people could easily avoid these issues. If you're at one of these problem areas, just walk a couple hundred yards to an area outside the tourist ghetto, and definitely don't use stationary taxis. And don't use taxis for cross-town journeys through heavy traffic, when you could just use the BTS or MRT.

Have had lots of problems with Bangkok taxis. Only rarely came across a nice taxi driver. Problems range from..driver trying to negotiate fixed fare once in the cab (and not use meter). Speeding, weaving in/out of traffic lanes. Talking on mobile while driving. Saying they don't have change when payment is made.

Started using Grabtaxi and the drivers are well behaved. When you book using the app, the drivers pic, phone number and vehicle registration comes up on screen. Once (after using it many times without problems) I had a driver cancel the booking then turn-up in a car and the registration number was different (to the one seen on GrabTaxi app). I refused to get-in and reported the incident using the "report" feature in the app. (happened in another country, not Thailand)

The support team got back immediately to say thanks for reporting it.

edit: One trip the same taxi was speeding, weaveing in/out of traffic, talking on mobile, saying he had no change...that was a trip from a Hotel in central Bangkok to Swampi airport. The hotel called the Taxi.

UBERRRRRRR!!!!

Yeah, Uber X is pretty awesome - as cheap as a taxi, and great service. I use them a lot when I'm going somewhere from home, especially when its a location that would be tricky to explain to a taxi driver.

When you're out and about, though, its still easier to just flag down a taxi.

@OP: How about living-up to your name.

I do. But it's no fun riding a bike down Sukhumvit, or laden with shopping, or after a night out on the beers.

So after we've had a few at a bar in Nana, are you saying walk to Sukhumvit 11 to hail a taxi.

You can't manage to walk a few hundred metres?

@OP: How about living-up to your name.

I do. But it's no fun riding a bike down Sukhumvit, or laden with shopping, or after a night out on the beers.

So after we've had a few at a bar in Nana, are you saying walk to Sukhumvit 11 to hail a taxi.

You can't manage to walk a few hundred metres?

Can..can..depends after how many drinks...post-232297-0-32098400-1447510469_thumb.

Most of the time I don't have problems with Taxi drivers and I don't bitch about them, there have been a few times I've had issues:

1) After a night out about a year ago, end of Suk 11 at 2am. Taxis were refusing to take ANYONE on the meter, Thai or Farang

2) Mid day near Lumphinee park with a friend and her baby, took 6 taxis before we got one who'd take us back to Sukhumvit. Really really hot and even though there was a small child they didn't care about saying no.

3) Last week at Ikea, wanting to go to Ekkamai. 6 Taxis refused before one finally said yes

It's definitely down to area. If I'm at home it's Uber or the car option on Grab taxi everytime.

Sounds like location is a factor here. I've never had a problem getting a taxi from Khao San myself, but then I don't go there all that often. I take them on Sukhumvit all the time without issue, but then I rarely venture much lower down the Sois than 11 or so.

Sure it could be location, but many Thais that I know also got frustrated with taxi's and started driving their own car. Its also a hot topic for Thais so its not a farang exclusive deal. Its a fact that taxi drivers refuse a lot of trips and often don't turn on the meter. Why else do you think the Thai police started checking them. That you don't have a problem with your destination is lucky for you but certainly not the norm.

I don't think I'm just 'lucky', though. I live in Bangkok and use taxis more or less daily. I take them to all sorts of destinations, though, at all times of day, and I hardly ever have a problem. Most people I know here are the same - and many posters on TV say the same thing.

There must be some reason for such a contrast in experiences.

Like I said in the OP, what do you say to the driver? Who are you with? What time?

Look, I don't know if you have followed it but there was a crackdown on taxi drivers refusing to take passengers. It got that bad that they started doing sting operations. This was not because some farang complained but because it is a widespread problem. Now that you feel different is good for you but obviously something is dead wrong otherwise the police and media would never have gotten involved. Do you remember they even launched an app so you could complain about taxi drivers refusing trips.

I have used taxi drivers a lot too just like you with a Thai alone and all times of the day. It does vary a bit through the day but I seldom had it that the first taxi I took was right. That is why I now drive a car or a bike so I don't have to use their unreliable service.

But there are of course also good drivers in general if you avoid the drivers standing still you got a higher chance.

i can speak thai not to badly and every time i come to thailand i pretend that i cant speak thai but i have address all ready to give taxi driver at airport the last time i wanted to go to the president condominium at on-nut and gave driver this information both in Thai and english as well as map and street name everything this is where i generally stay while i am there after nearly 45 minutes being taken for a ride around the city i finally said to him in thai where are we going and don't take me for a fool of a farang when we got to where i needed to go he apologized and said no cost as i said that i would speak to the security at the complex next time perhaps he will think twice before he does that again

Often the driver doesn't turn on the meter until several blocks into the trip.

Maybe once in several years or more Taxi didn't want to go where we did.

Then there's alwasy Uncle John that we can call.

If you ever pushed a hack, you might understand.

Archived