Do you have trouble with Bangkok taxis?

SoiBiker

Most of the time I don't have problems with Taxi drivers and I don't bitch about them, there have been a few times I've had issues:

1) After a night out about a year ago, end of Suk 11 at 2am. Taxis were refusing to take ANYONE on the meter, Thai or Farang

2) Mid day near Lumphinee park with a friend and her baby, took 6 taxis before we got one who'd take us back to Sukhumvit. Really really hot and even though there was a small child they didn't care about saying no.

3) Last week at Ikea, wanting to go to Ekkamai. 6 Taxis refused before one finally said yes

It's definitely down to area. If I'm at home it's Uber or the car option on Grab taxi everytime.

Most of the time I don't have problems with Taxi drivers and I don't bitch about them. ....

1) ....

2)...

3)....

hmmm...looked in the mirror lately.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the time I don't have problems with Taxi drivers and I don't bitch about them, there have been a few times I've had issues:

1) After a night out about a year ago, end of Suk 11 at 2am. Taxis were refusing to take ANYONE on the meter, Thai or Farang

2) Mid day near Lumphinee park with a friend and her baby, took 6 taxis before we got one who'd take us back to Sukhumvit. Really really hot and even though there was a small child they didn't care about saying no.

3) Last week at Ikea, wanting to go to Ekkamai. 6 Taxis refused before one finally said yes

It's definitely down to area. If I'm at home it's Uber or the car option on Grab taxi everytime.

Most of the time I don't have problems with Taxi drivers and I don't bitch about them. ....

1) ....

2)...

3)....

hmmm...looked in the mirror lately.

That's not bitching, it's a few occasions - related to the OP's original request where I've had issues. It's not conjecture it's fact. I didn't use these to make any assumptions or complaints about the drivers, their attitudes or Bangkok taxis as a whole.

Maps don't count for much in Thailand, though.

Agreed.. maps don't mean anything here. I always ask if they know or not, if not then I rather find an other driver. But going to my home I can always guide them if needed. (at least when i get close).

I am not saying all taxi drivers are bad because I get more good ones as bad ones, just annoying that at times it cost a lot of effort to get one. And those times often stick more in my mind as the good ones. I have had many pleasant chats with drivers and others were always complaining about traffic about the distance (too far or too close). The ones that were friendly and good always got a good tip.

I use taxies frequently in an around Bangkok. Most drivers are ok, though there are some real black sheeps as everywhere. Avoid stand on taxies in the innercity, they have their own dreams, to drive you to the next jeweler shop or to Sungai Kolok. Being fluent in Thai is a big advantage, but even then, if you don't know the correct route, quiet a lot of drivers give you the pleasure of some extra kilometers. Good drivers i give some tip, with bad ones i argue. Compared with other cities worldwide, taxies in Bangkok aren't that bad. Most of them are just trying to make their living.

I've never had a problem from Ikea. Did you get one from the little taxi stand outside? The guy there is usually pretty helpful in getting a taxi for you.

The guy at the stand was useless. There was a big queue and everytime the driver refused to take me and the gf he just asked if they would take other passengers at the stand, it ended up with 3 groups of people wanting taxis to various parts of Sukhumvit and taxi drivers refusing to take any of them.

That's the only stand I've ever had a problem at, the others on different parts of the park I've had no problem at all.

I've never had a problem from Ikea. Did you get one from the little taxi stand outside? The guy there is usually pretty helpful in getting a taxi for you.

The guy at the stand was useless. There was a big queue and everytime the driver refused to take me and the gf he just asked if they would take other passengers at the stand, it ended up with 3 groups of people wanting taxis to various parts of Sukhumvit and taxi drivers refusing to take any of them.

That's the only stand I've ever had a problem at, the others on different parts of the park I've had no problem at all.

That's a shame. I've only taken one from there when it was fairly quiet, to be fair.

That's a shame. I've only taken one from there when it was fairly quiet, to be fair.

This was 3pm on a Saturday so I get why they didn't want to do it, although I'm more than happy going on the tollway. It's not a huge issue and I still think we're fortunate how cheap they are here. Went to HK in August and the taxis were efficient but the fares were high, I'd guess as much as 8-10x more expensive than BKK

So the answer to the OP is, yes, quite a number of people have problems with Bangkok taxi drivers.

What percentage ? It would be hard to put a number on.

Yes, on the whole they provide a good service, but it could be improved if some of their 'no meter', 'too far', 'too much traffic' attitudes were no so prevalent.

So the answer to the OP is, yes, quite a number of people have problems with Bangkok taxi drivers.

Yes, on the whole they provide a good service, but it could be improved if some of their 'no meter', 'too far', 'too much traffic' attitudes were no so prevalent.

That wasn't the question, though.

The point was, how come some people have so many problems with them whilst others don't?

I think we've more or less answered that one.

The point was, how come some people have so many problems with them whilst others don't?

Location and time of day, still taxi drivers should just do their job.

Perhaps. But like many things here, you have a choice. You can get hung up on principles and how you think things should be - or you can recognise the reality of how things actually are and adopt a pragmatic attitude accordingly. I find the second is more conducive to a happy life and healthy level of blood pressure.

Perhaps. But like many things here, you have a choice. You can get hung up on principles and how you think things should be - or you can recognise the reality of how things actually are and adopt a pragmatic attitude accordingly. I find the second is more conducive to a happy life and healthy level of blood pressure.

Or you just find other ways of transportation, like I did. I still use them but far less frequent. Their loss not mine.

I take the BTS most of the time.You really can't blame them sometimes not wanting to use the meter.I mean with the traffic jams they can be stuck for an hour or more and only get A few baht.

As I understand it, they do get a couple of baht a minute whilst waiting in traffic. Still not much though.

I take the BTS most of the time.You really can't blame them sometimes not wanting to use the meter.I mean with the traffic jams they can be stuck for an hour or more and only get A few baht.

As I understand it, they do get a couple of baht a minute whilst waiting in traffic. Still not much though.

How much do they get waiting on the kerb ? less then what they get for waiting in traffic. biggrin.png In traffic if they stand still the meter runs on.

I think that you know very well what the problem is with those who complain so vehemently about taxis. Most of them are inveterate complainers, and exaggerators, about everything Thai. The common factor is TBS (Thai Bashing Syndrome).

You'll probably find that you also don't suffer nearly as much from, for example, "police harassment and extortion" in the Thonglor area as these same people when that tired old topic is dragged up.

A factually incorrect comment! Anyone who lives in Bangkok and uses or has used the metered taxis knows that a large percentages donot follow the correct rules. Thats why many of us use Uber or other taxi apps. So basically you dont know what you are talking about!

My comment was a correct observation.

What do you call a "large percentage", 10%?

Conclusion? I know exactly what I'm talking about and your post proves it.

Have had lots of problems with Bangkok taxis. Only rarely came across a nice taxi driver. Problems range from..driver trying to negotiate fixed fare once in the cab (and not use meter). Speeding, weaving in/out of traffic lanes. Talking on mobile while driving. Saying they don't have change when payment is made.

Started using Grabtaxi and the drivers are well behaved. When you book using the app, the drivers pic, phone number and vehicle registration comes up on screen. Once (after using it many times without problems) I had a driver cancel the booking then turn-up in a car and the registration number was different (to the one seen on GrabTaxi app). I refused to get-in and reported the incident using the "report" feature in the app. (happened in another country, not Thailand)

The support team got back immediately to say thanks for reporting it.

edit: One trip the same taxi was speeding, weaveing in/out of traffic, talking on mobile, saying he had no change...that was a trip from a Hotel in central Bangkok to Swampi airport. The hotel called the Taxi.

"Have had lots of problems with Bangkok taxis...Problems range from..driver trying to negotiate fixed fare once in the cab..."

Make up your mind, lot's of problems or once?

The 2nd paragraph's story wasn't in Thailand.

Anyone who uses a taxi, in any country, without having near enough the correct fare in 100s or 20s doesn't deserve to have the right to complain about the driver not having change. Co-operation is a two way thing.

i can speak thai not to badly and every time i come to thailand i pretend that i cant speak thai but i have address all ready to give taxi driver at airport the last time i wanted to go to the president condominium at on-nut and gave driver this information both in Thai and english as well as map and street name everything this is where i generally stay while i am there after nearly 45 minutes being taken for a ride around the city i finally said to him in thai where are we going and don't take me for a fool of a farang when we got to where i needed to go he apologized and said no cost as i said that i would speak to the security at the complex next time perhaps he will think twice before he does that again

Why would anyone in their right mind do what you claim you do every time? What would be the point, particularly waiting until you had been driven around aimlessly for 45 minutes before revealing your sting?

Interesting that you mention traffic, though. I think perhaps one reason I have less trouble is because I live here, I know what the traffic is like, and if I'm aware that a journey is likely to involve a hour sat in a traffic jam, I don't try and do it by taxi.

but a few posts ago you mentioned that the taxi drivers told you a few times that it would be better then to drop you at the nearest BTS...

Interesting that you mention traffic, though. I think perhaps one reason I have less trouble is because I live here, I know what the traffic is like, and if I'm aware that a journey is likely to involve a hour sat in a traffic jam, I don't try and do it by taxi.

but a few posts ago you mentioned that the taxi drivers told you a few times that it would be better then to drop you at the nearest BTS...

Well yes, thats the point - its better to use the BTS rather than sit in traffic in a taxi.

Have had lots of problems with Bangkok taxis. Only rarely came across a nice taxi driver. Problems range from..driver trying to negotiate fixed fare once in the cab (and not use meter). Speeding, weaving in/out of traffic lanes. Talking on mobile while driving. Saying they don't have change when payment is made.

Started using Grabtaxi and the drivers are well behaved. When you book using the app, the drivers pic, phone number and vehicle registration comes up on screen. Once (after using it many times without problems) I had a driver cancel the booking then turn-up in a car and the registration number was different (to the one seen on GrabTaxi app). I refused to get-in and reported the incident using the "report" feature in the app. (happened in another country, not Thailand)

The support team got back immediately to say thanks for reporting it.

edit: One trip the same taxi was speeding, weaveing in/out of traffic, talking on mobile, saying he had no change...that was a trip from a Hotel in central Bangkok to Swampi airport. The hotel called the Taxi.

"Have had lots of problems with Bangkok taxis...Problems range from..driver trying to negotiate fixed fare once in the cab..."

Make up your mind, lot's of problems or once?

The 2nd paragraph's story wasn't in Thailand.

Anyone who uses a taxi, in any country, without having near enough the correct fare in 100s or 20s doesn't deserve to have the right to complain about the driver not having change. Co-operation is a two way thing.

You misunderstand. Once in the cab, meaning, once inside the taxi...once the passenger has got inside the cab..get it?..and it has happened many times.

the 2nd para story is related because I was using grabtaxi..and the only time when there was a serious problem using grabtaxi. It's was easy to report.

About the change for the fare..you are missing the point....100s or 20s. Seriously?. What if the fair is 270Bhat. Would you tell him to keep the change, after the antics he's pulled. (weaving in/out of traffic, talking on mobile while driving etc).

Anyway, no need to raise blood pressure. Remembered his taxi number (displayed inside the cab) and reported him using the DLT mobile app. Some of us would just say "hey, ho" and move on, and the same (or worse) would happen to the next person that takes a ride with that cabbie. Not reporting is purely selfish behaviour, because the person not reporting dosen't care about the next person that takes that cab. SElfish..selfish ..selfish..

Sometimes, you don't need to look far for the solution. It's staring you right in the face.

Don't think this post would have got to 3+ pages, if no one was "hung-up" about the topic. Anyway, there are countless other posts about the same topic that have reached the same conclusion.i.e. walking a bit further from any tourist spot before hailing a cab.

Probably would have searched for them before posting (On another day)...but hey, consistency is not a feature for some.

Archived