Thai kale ... what is it really?

Jingthing

Recently I've been eating a lot more Thai kale.

Like entire orders of it. Just Thai kale.

Now I now Thai kale is not the same vegetable as kale in the west.

But what is it exactly?

Is it a different kind of kale?
Is it not really kale, just called kale?

Is Thai kale as wonderfully nutritious and health promoting as western kale?

In the U.S. kale is absurdly trendy to the point of there being tons of jokes about it, but I've not lived there during the age of Kale.

So those who know the answers to my queries, please spill the beans.

I googled 'thai kale' and it came up 'thai kale with pork' which indeed is a common dish...my folks just refer to it as 'pak' like all other veges...

it's the most ubiquitous leafy green vege in Thailand, it seems...always available everywhere...I usually wash thoroughly, remove the tough stems, chop once roughly diagonally and add to a stir fry (on top, any stir fry; chicken , pork, tofu, etc) cover and steam during last few minutes of cooking...

not bad....

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=thai+kale&rlz=1C1CHWA_enSA644SA644&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&imgil=jwl1kb-XJA5gAM%253A%253B0EpSddxQuo_l4M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.thaivisa.com%25252Fforum%25252Ftopic%25252F680476-can-i-find-strong-leafy-vegetables-in-the-fresh-markets%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=jwl1kb-XJA5gAM%253A%252C0EpSddxQuo_l4M%252C_&usg=__2NYCbLrbBzqDGyxdBU2JxvrYFDo%3D&ved=0CCYQyjdqFQoTCPGjhKzKkMkCFQxOjgodsjcAAA&ei=ZoJHVvHYIIycuQSybw#imgrc=jwl1kb-XJA5gAM%3A&usg=__2NYCbLrbBzqDGyxdBU2JxvrYFDo%3D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Yes, it's in many dishes.

Such as pad see yu.

It so totally different than western Kale.

It seems similar to Chinese broccoli but not Chinese broccoli either.

How did something so different than western Kale get named Kale in English in Thailand?

Edited by Jingthing

Yes when you order a plate of it you get the leaves and the stalk. That's what you want!

I just googled Chinese kale and it comes up as Kailan, Chinese broccoli.

NO!

Thai kale is definitely not the same thing as Chinese broccoli!

Order a plate of Chinese broccoli in a Chinese restaurant and then a plate of Thai Kale in a Thai restaurant.

Cooked differently yes of course but not the same vegetable either.

I actually prefer Chinese broccoli but you don't usually see that on standard Thai menus.

Edited by Jingthing

There must be different varieties of it. This is what we buy in the market known as Phak Khana. If you goggle Phak Khana it comes up as Chinese broccoli or Chinese kale. If you go to any vegetable vendor and ask for Phak Khana this is what you get. It's grown just down the road from us.

10439015_267101316746796_230484687905068

There must be different varieties of it. This is what we buy in the market known as Phak Khana. If you goggle Phak Khana it comes up as Chinese broccoli or Chinese kale. If you go to any vegetable vendor and ask for Phak Khana this is what you get. It's grown just down the road from us.

yeah...what wayned's got is what I'm talkin' about...I find the stalks inedible but there's no accounting fer local taste as a westerner...

however, if they were removed after washing and precooked or simmered inna cooking sauce awhile like cauli or broccoli after initial stir frying, perhaps...

yeah...the various local names for veges always have me confused...best to personally go down the market and see what's best on the day and then load up...

(and here comes tutsi from the market...shufflin' under the weight inna coolie hat with a stick on his shoulder with dangling baskets fulla veg and then his wife exclaims with dismay: ' whatsamatta wid ye...')

Edited by tutsiwarrior

And if anyone ever thinks about going on a juicing kick here. Trust me, really really wash everything. I thought I was washing enough. I wasnt...............

I hear that, brother...

I've seen what they spray on crops here and believe me it ain't nice...but, that's not to say that what ye get elsewhere is 'nicer'...

Google Brassica Oleracea and you will see this plant has many subspecies. I don't know how much of the amazing diversity of this species is due to man or nature.

Specifically it's Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra. See https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2

'alboglabra'?

would that be linear, multivariable...or, simply, mathematically undefined gobbledygook!!!

(I love 'gobbledygook', don't you?)

I sorta like this one: linear, empirically proved and elegant

Tf = 1.8Tc + 32

and it makes a difference in our daily comprehension of most things in general...

(jeezuz it's hot...whew...)

'alboglabra'?

would that be linear, multivariable...or, simply, mathematically undefined gobbledygook!!!

Oh, the younger generation! If only they'd studied Latin at school.

Alboglabra is from "albus" meaning "white" and "glabrus" meaning "hairless".

• Like 1

I think Thai kale is Chinese broccoli (gai-lan). The ones I get at the markets in Thailand are usually younger and more tender. There are many types of kale: lacinato, curly and Russian that I know of. People use it in salads or saute it. Kale is supposedly a very nutritious food. I like the taste of all these vegetables.. Not sure if I have seen kale at the stores... If so, it will most likely be the curly type which many people like in salads or to make smoothies/juice.

The peeled stalks of this in long slices are actually one of the ingredients of classic Pad Thai, along with Prawns & flat noodles, & its what I understand to be Thai kale...

The peeled stalks of this in long slices are actually one of the ingredients of classic Pad Thai, along with Prawns & flat noodles, & its what I understand to be Thai kale...

Had you said it was an ingredient of classic ratnaa or pad siew you'd have been right. It's not an ingredient of pad Thai. The long strips in pad Thai are pickled radish or turnip.

• Like 2

Google Brassica Oleracea and you will see this plant has many subspecies. I don't know how much of the amazing diversity of this species is due to man or nature.

Specifically it's Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra. See https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/คะน้า

'alboglabra'?

(I love 'gobbledygook', don't you?)

I sorta like this one: linear, empirically proved and elegant

Tf = 1.8Tc + 32

and it makes a difference in our daily comprehension of most things in general...

(jeezuz it's hot...whew...)

Romanesco broccoli, my favorite mathematical vegetable.

post-119133-0-48223300-1447642634_thumb.