November 2015 latest update on 15 and 30 day visa and visa exemption extensions/mae sai border run

Mae Sae has been hit and miss for dong a out/in for a new visa exempt entry for sometime now. But it has been nothing but misses lately.

It has been almost a guaranteed turn away for some time now if you have not already gotten the 30 day extension.

Chiang Khong is not a problem.

There is no 2 day allowance for the overstay. If your stay ends on a weekend or holiday you will not be fined if you go in the first day they are open afterwords.

The enforcement of section 38 reporting is relatively new for visa exempt or tourist visa entry extensions.

Mae Sae has been hit and miss for dong a out/in for a new visa exempt entry for sometime now. But it has been nothing but misses lately.

It has been almost a guaranteed turn away for some time now if you have not already gotten the 30 day extension.

There is no 2 day allowance for the overstay. If your stay ends on a weekend or holiday you will not be fined if you go in the first day they are open afterwords.

The enforcement of section 38 reporting is relatively new for visa exempt or tourist visa entry extensions.

I am on a triple entry visa but forgot leap year & going to Maesai 3 days early due to a friend arriving Dec 26th on my first run. So I thought that I could cover the end of my trip b y going to Maesai around the middle of April to clear up around 6 days over. Can I get another entry 15/30 day following a used triple entry Visa or not now?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Thank you for your replies. Just an update - a Thai friend filled in a form vouching for me living with him and I just quickly got a 30 day extension in the Chiang rai office for 1900baht. No dramas no questions or fines, very relaxed and friendly, much better experience than Mae sai.

• Like 1

I am on a triple entry visa but forgot leap year & going to Maesai 3 days early due to a friend arriving Dec 26th on my first run. So I thought that I could cover the end of my trip b y going to Maesai around the middle of April to clear up around 6 days over. Can I get another entry 15/30 day following a used triple entry Visa or not now?

At the moment you would not be able get a visa exempt entry at Mae Sai. You would need to go to Chiang Kong.

If you are only going to need 6 days you could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country.

Better to get to Vientiane and get a Single Entry Tourist Visa... a lot less hassle.

What are the new requirements for this? Will 2 passport photos, 1000 Baht and a passport with >6 months validity still be sufficient?

There is no news here other than the landlord thing can someone confirm if an extention in chiangmai also requires the landlord to fill out a form? Also, I thought we could count on a few Lao border runs even after the 30 day extention, is this not true? Chiang Kong in particular?

The last I heard is Lao had no limits and Cambodia had limits to three consecutive border runs?

Better to get to Vientiane and get a Single Entry Tourist Visa... a lot less hassle.

What are the new requirements for this? Will 2 passport photos, 1000 Baht and a passport with >6 months validity still be sufficient?

There are no new requirements for a single entry tourist visa. Just what you mentioned is needed.

• Like 1

There is no news here other than the landlord thing can someone confirm if an extention in chiangmai also requires the landlord to fill out a form? Also, I thought we could count on a few Lao border runs even after the 30 day extention, is this not true? Chiang Kong in particular?

The last I heard is Lao had no limits and Cambodia had limits to three consecutive border runs?

I just wanted to make others in my situation aware of exactly what a recent experience with this involved. Just found every single forum I read and every single person I spoke to had conflicting or out of date information.

For example, someone replied on here that they successfully did a Chiang khong border hop. I was about to do one when a friend told me she tried that last month and was refused and had to get a visa in Vientiane. I wasn't keen to just see how immigration were feeling the day I arrived at the border!

If I were you, knowing what you now do from my experience, I would prepare to provide landlord details before you go to the office.

There are no new requirements for a single entry tourist visa. Just what you mentioned is needed.

I had heard that they now (post Nov 13th) required proof of future travel plans in thailand (destinations, hotel confirmations etc) and proof of funds. Am i definetely mistaken?

So even if you have a onward flight ticket they are refusing to allow you to collect 30days ?

What about G7 countries thought we allowed up to three.

what if you already extended and you just need to go to make up a week or 2 before returning home ?

And TAT quotes this today.

The TAT’s tourism promotion plan for 2016 focuses on quality tourist sites with unique Thai characteristics with the objectives to persuade tourists to stay in Thailand longer. There will also be new activities to promote tourism targeting sport lovers and working women.

lets all go loopy Loo......................

Edited by leighd7

I had heard that they now (post Nov 13th) required proof of future travel plans in thailand (destinations, hotel confirmations etc) and proof of funds. Am i definetely mistaken?

I have seen nothing about changes to get a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane.

The announcement for the METV does not mention any changes for them. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/news/announce/detail.php?ID=313

• Like 1

So even if you have a onward flight ticket they are refusing to allow you to collect 30days ?

What about G7 countries thought we allowed up to three.

what if you already extended and you just need to go to make up a week or 2 before returning home ?

And TAT quotes this today.

The TAT’s tourism promotion plan for 2016 focuses on quality tourist sites with unique Thai characteristics with the objectives to persuade tourists to stay in Thailand longer. There will also be new activities to promote tourism targeting sport lovers and working women.

lets all go loopy Loo......................

Don't shoot the messenger. Perhaps you should take it up with immigration at Mae Sai.

I think they may be doing it to reduce the number of people using the crossing. If you look at the area they cover it could be a lot of people going there everyday.

There have been reports of them turning away people without a visa to use for re-entry for some months now. Another crossing that does not allow them is Mae Sot. Ban Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi is also not allowing them at this time.

It is not that big a deal. Just make a bit longer trip and get one at Chiang Kong.

It is not that it is a big deal. It is that Thailand is giving real tourists a hard time when they should be welcoming people who want to visit the country. There is no consistency in application of Immigration rules at the land border. It is getting worse not better. If it wasn't for UJ and others on this forum who know exactly what borders to avoid- it would be total chaos and people would be wasting valuable time and money. Thailand is making a huge mistake in not correcting this nonsense.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Can I still do the renewal of my triple entry Visa at Maesai?

Obviously this is not a back to back exemption.

I have booked my Green Bus & Hotel before reading the topics on Maesai.

Thank you,

Hi everyone,

Can I still do the renewal of my triple entry Visa at Maesai?

Obviously this is not a back to back exemption.

I have booked my Green Bus & Hotel before reading the topics on Maesai.

Thank you,

Since you will have a valid visa for re-entry it will not be a problem. No visa no crossing the border.

• Like 1

Thank you, I now only have to deal with my 6 day overstay in April.

Apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country. You can get this after already having an extension.

Cheaper and less risky than paying 3000 baht for the overstay.