Still Water Float Fishing (advice)

mercman24

hi all i am tired of fishing with boat rods, 40lb line, hauling 50 lb monsters out,i want a nice quiet day on a still water watching a float, and using normal lightish, rod- tackle,any ideas please,? i live in Bangkok (phra khanong) so not too far out from there please, thanks KC

Pilot 111. I use ultralight spinning rods and 3-4 Wt fly rods for Pacu and Tilapia in the first pond on the left on the way in.

Snakeheads, barramundi and redtail, Chao Phraya and Mekong catfish in the other ponds if ultralight doesn't float your boat.

500 baht, with or without a work permit (no dual pricing) great food, nice people and bathrooms cleaner than mine at home.

Bor num very close to pilot 111, also good food and friendly 180 bht last time i went and no double pricing, lure and fly fishing only,

They have 3 ponds, in one there used to be redtails and such but not sure if that pond is in use, the other two have some massive bara, but on weekends it gets a little too crowded coz of the price i guess.

Edited to say...hong nams are a bit iffy at bor num, better do your ablutions before leaving home gigglem.gif

There are a couple of places up Onnut so not far from you. Most of the original places on Bang Na Trat Highway have closed down. There are loads of canals out Hua Takae Lat Krabang area where you can fish using light tackle. I used to do a lot of roach poling in those canals but haven't gone for years. If you speak Thai, when out in the burbs ask the locals on motorcycles with their fishing gear where they are going. Usually very accommodating of fellow fishermen and take you to spots you would not normally know about. Just keep your wits about you.

There are a couple of places up Onnut so not far from you. Most of the original places on Bang Na Trat Highway have closed down. There are loads of canals out Hua Takae Lat Krabang area where you can fish using light tackle. I used to do a lot of roach poling in those canals but haven't gone for years. If you speak Thai, when out in the burbs ask the locals on motorcycles with their fishing gear where they are going. Usually very accommodating of fellow fishermen and take you to spots you would not normally know about. Just keep your wits about you.

Yep there is a couple of places near onnut, one is named bueng kra jao, havn,t been there for a few years but its pla sawai and talapia, last time i was there the price was 40 baht and the food was good,

Also a couple of places in the area of prawet, one is float or bottom fishing (much the same as sakuna) and costs 120bht, they often have fishing roulette ( gambling is illegal in thailand) rolleyes.gif 1st prize can be 1 mil, the second place in prawet is lure fly or bait and costs 100bht but its hard going,

As for the toilets forgedaboutit,

In the last years i find myself out and about either by bicycle or motocyc 3-4 mornings per week on the klongs or any water i find looking for pla chon.

Yep there is a couple of places near onnut, one is named bueng kra jao, havn,t been there for a few years but its pla sawai and talapia, last time i was there the price was 40 baht and the food was good,

Also a couple of places in the area of prawet, one is float or bottom fishing (much the same as sakuna) and costs 120bht, they often have fishing roulette ( gambling is illegal in thailand) rolleyes.gif 1st prize can be 1 mil, the second place in prawet is lure fly or bait and costs 100bht but its hard going,

As for the toilets forgedaboutit,

In the last years i find myself out and about either by bicycle or motocyc 3-4 mornings per week on the klongs or any water i find looking for pla chon.

I think Beung Krajao was the one on Onnut soi 44. If so, it closed down more than a year ago. Another one is Beung Sak Tong (Golden Teak fishing park). It is on the left after the Onnut Pattanakarn intersection next to a gas station.

thanks for the replies guys,i think i am out Monday with a lady friend to a lake where thais fish (and eat) not sure where it is, but a bit of a drive , (if they keep fishing and eating the catch, going to be a time soon ???) no fish.

Edited to say...hong nams are a bit iffy at bor num, better do your ablutions before leaving home

Truer words were never rarely spoken. Pilot 111 is almost worth the extra 320 baht just for the "facilities". Never know when you may get the rumble tummy here in LOS.

I can’t offer any suggestions or advice for your locality. However, in general I have found that most of the venues I fish here in the far north (Chiang Rai Province) offer a variety of fish in the lakes. Therefore, lending themselves to different angling methods. When I’m fishing and look around me I can see anglers employing those methods to target the different species. It’s true, that on some occasions while using lighter tackle it’s possible to hook a biggun! But, I find that all adds to the pleasure of fishing.

Tight Lines

Archived