Best android STB app for Thai TV Live

LivinLOS

I have my setup quite nicely done.. Multiple AFTV's around the house.. Kodi on each box.. central media server.. Tablet / touchscreen 2 way remote control for kodi.. Live TV streamed, downloaded series and movies.. All my cover art and meta data.. iPlayer and android apps built in.. In short I have it set up great for me.

The one thing I havent bothered to do is put Thai TV into it for the missus..

Any recommendations for android apps ?? Theres LOADS online but most are junk. Plus most are described 100% in Thai and designed for phones / tablet use.

Should be designed for a big screen TV viewing.. so up down left right navigation, not touchscreen / mouse..

Should have major Thai channels including workpoint and 8 (she watches those online on her laptop).

If possible HD channels where available.

Anyone found the magic app that is ideal for TV android box viewing yet ?? Its kind of the last little bit of the puzzle.

ILikeHD has quite a few that are free and in HD - including the two you mention.

Can get the app here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.likegroup.ilikehdtv4

You'll probably have to register, but beyond that you don't have to pay for quite a long list of Thai channels

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Don't think you're going to find many android apps catering the android Set Top Box market that interact using a remote control.

You don't mention where you are (Thailand v. outside of Thailand), or what type of Thai-language programming you're after.

It's rather easy to get the Free-to-View channels. Subscription and 'other' content is a bit harder and change due to how the content is originally acquired by the distributor.

Surprised you haven't found a KODI option.

As for android apps, the major players (3BB, AIS, CTH, GMM tv, PSI, TOT, TRUE, etc) all have mobile apps. Many, like PSI, will let you watch the Free-to-View channels without being a subscriber or creating a special login.

• Like 1

Don't think you're going to find many android apps catering the android Set Top Box market that interact using a remote control.

With the amount of people now streaming TV that surprises me.. Especially as most ThaiTV is streamed in HD from the channel provider. Should be easy to make an M3U or app wrapper.

You don't mention where you are (Thailand v. outside of Thailand), or what type of Thai-language programming you're after.

It's rather easy to get the Free-to-View channels. Subscription and 'other' content is a bit harder and change due to how the content is originally acquired by the distributor.

Inside Thailand.. 3BB fiber.

Just 'Thai TV'... I have no idea of the channels she watches are considered subscription or not.. But am trying to get the Thai language channels she watches on GMM TV sat system, inside Kodi.. i even toyed with the idea of a sling 500 HD streamer from the sat box and the relevant kodi add on.. but the limitation of this are much greater than in the US where you can build a PVR backend server for full EPG data and multi stream viewing.

Surprised you haven't found a KODI option.

There was one by joncl but it became unmaintained and it wasnt the slickest of add ons.. I am leaning to launching android apps inside Kodi.. This way I keep it all in Kodi, but have the often slicker seperate interfaces (eg the fireTV iPlayer is really decent.. Spotify also)..

As for android apps, the major players (3BB, AIS, CTH, GMM tv, PSI, TOT, TRUE, etc) all have mobile apps. Many, like PSI, will let you watch the Free-to-View channels without being a subscriber or creating a special login.

I had tried a pretty awful 3bb cloud IPTV one, but it was designed for a phone touchscreen and also didnt have some channels.. Hence without the shows she wants was a non starter... Cant remember which it lacked but..

The SuperRepo repository for Kodi has 3 video add-ons for Thai TV. IPTVxtra PSI-TH, IPTVxtra Thai and IPTVxtra Thai Lite & HD. Between them you can view most any Thai TV channel.

If your internet IP address is not in Thailand you may need a VPN connected to a Thai server.

The MX repository found in the Community Portal has/had a good Thai TV viewer but has not worked for me for awhile.

Edited by Pakaty

I started messing with the MX Thai TV and got it to work.

If you would like to try it's very easy to install onto Kodi.

Go to http://www.thaisatellite.tv/repo/plugin.video.mxthai/

Download the last file. "plugin.video.mxthai-1.1.3.zip"

In Kodi go to "System" then "add-ons" and select "install from zip file"

Navigate to where you saved the .zip file and select it and it will install.

Now go back to the main Kodi welcome screen and select Video add-ons you will see MX Thai in your list. Select it and pick what channel you want to watch.

So long as we're talking about Kodi, I have a question. I have been having problems installing add-ons and getting the "A dependency was not established" error message. None of the fixes on YouTube have worked for me. I am using the latest Isengard 15.2 Kodi version. Should I drop back to an earlier version? Back in Japan, I had some machines that I had successfully installed 1Channel and Genesys on so I was able to watch a lot. Now that I'm back in Bangkok, I'm missing my movies since I can't get the add-ons to install. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe installing the Husham wizard would work (?)

So long as we're talking about Kodi, I have a question. I have been having problems installing add-ons and getting the "A dependency was not established" error message. None of the fixes on YouTube have worked for me. I am using the latest Isengard 15.2 Kodi version. Should I drop back to an earlier version? Back in Japan, I had some machines that I had successfully installed 1Channel and Genesys on so I was able to watch a lot. Now that I'm back in Bangkok, I'm missing my movies since I can't get the add-ons to install. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe installing the Husham wizard would work (?)

Once that happens, clearly something is corrupted….I would delete all data associated with the app, delete the app and download a fresh zip file from kodi.tv and start from scratch.

Apparently deleting all the old data and the folders it lives in is key….on android I know how to go about it….other systems not so sure.

Just to add in response to the 'difficult to find one that works with remotes' comment - ILikeHD app works perfect for me with a 10 foot UI designed for remote controls.

Have to say this app would be near perfect but for one thing..

When trying to scroll the channels.. Select the Thai TV category (digital TV) and then theres 5 visible channels.. Scroll down them and after the 6th the remote jumps back to the left pane of categorys.. cant get it to scroll..

Will send a support message.

The SuperRepo repository for Kodi has 3 video add-ons for Thai TV. IPTVxtra PSI-TH, IPTVxtra Thai and IPTVxtra Thai Lite & HD. Between them you can view most any Thai TV channel.

If your internet IP address is not in Thailand you may need a VPN connected to a Thai server.

The MX repository found in the Community Portal has/had a good Thai TV viewer but has not worked for me for awhile.

Will add super repo and give that a try later..

Just to add in response to the 'difficult to find one that works with remotes' comment - ILikeHD app works perfect for me with a 10 foot UI designed for remote controls.

When trying to scroll the channels.. Select the Thai TV category (digital TV) and then theres 5 visible channels.. Scroll down them and after the 6th the remote jumps back to the left pane of categorys.. cant get it to scroll..

That is indeed annoying :) I'm used to it now though.

That is indeed annoying smile.png I'm used to it now though.

Have you found a work around ??

Makes the app unuseable with a remote for me.. I would like this to work as its very clear fast and simple for the missus..

It only does it on the last item for me though, can you see more than 6? When you mentioned 6 I did think that seemed very low... I have at least 20 and they are located in the DIGITAL TV (FREE) category

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Didn't mean timing so much as just remembering not to press down on the last one, which would take me to the next category and lose my place. I just press the down button on the remote and the list scrolls down, 20+ channels.

I wonder if the version on the app store is different to the one I have, I do have a backup of the .apk file I installed, but you could try the latest one that is linked to on their website and see if it is different - http://knd1.ilikehd.com/kaneda/downloads/last.apk

If you're still having issues, I can share the apk I have with you, but you'd have to trust me!

My version looks like this:

tkahz-oMFk.jpg

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

If you do try the apk, uninstall the google play store version first.

Only other thing I can think of if it's not a version issue is that I got lucky with my remote.. though iirc it worked fine with the really basic stock one as well.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

OK the app I pulled from the app store looks similar but different to that.. the 3 vertical bars are transparencies so you see the TV feed behind and actually my 3 dont fit like that.. I thought it was a bit off but seeing the above I now think its very off..

I think your saying you can go down, one move at a time, and it doesnt jump to the right.. Only if you hold down multiple times, does it think the list is finished and jump to the left hand pane ?? If so mine doesnt work that well. any down, and its to the left pane.

I am going to pull the old apk, and push yours over and test.

Amazon fireTv with stock remote.. would expect it to have stock behaviors..

Yes would have thought stock amazon remote would work fine.

For me, i just get the list of channels for the selected category (might have to press right to jump to that channel list panel. Once there I press down to go through the channels and each gets a blue highlight. As I near the end of the visible channels in the category the whole list moves up one slot with each press, showing the next channel. When I reach the final channel, if i then press down, it takes me (annoyingly) to the next category.

Had a thought - the symptoms you describe sound a little bit like they could be related to TV aspect ratio settings, since if not correct loads of the UI is placed off screen (just tested mine on cinema zoom and it looks very similar to what you describe). Have you tried looping through those on your TV?

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Unfortunately FireTV uses an unusual internal display sizing, and it creates issues with the app.
Because very few people use these devices locally, we will not be pushing a specific update for this.

What you can try, though, is on the app main screen, click "Manage", then "TV PLUS", this will change to "TV LITE". This is a different interface for the channel listing, which should display better on your device

Seems they know about it.. The TV Lite needs MX player.. which then in turn I think needs google play (removed from the amazon boxes to make you use amazons app store)..

will see if the MX player sideloads..

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys

Any experts on the Mag 250 box?

I use it for Uk tv, no probs, but the missus wants to get Thai tv on there as well, anyone know how to do that?

She only really wants the free digital stations, as she prefers UK tv!!!!

• 11 months later...

I'd avoid the AIS Play app on any STB at the moment.  Just had one hell of a game after installing and opening it.  Basically it just flashed a black screen and took over the entire device.  Remote wouldn't work, couldn't get back to home and couldn't delete it.  Couldn't even power off the STB.

Ended up pulling the power cord, starting in safe mode, wiping the cache partition, then deleted the damn thing!!!  AVOID.

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

I'd avoid the AIS Play app on any STB at the moment.  

From what I've seen, the AIS Play app will function only on a device with an AIS activated SIM Card.

It launched on my android STB, but refused any attempts to sign in.

• Like 1