Krabi '@Thonglor' pub owner shot dead over broken glass dispute

webfact

that is common in some bars break a glass you must pay.but they want you too pay triple the price of the glass.if I had the a bar I would not worry a broken glass is not worth dying for or getting a profit because of one.but the thai way of thinking back fired for him.he is now dead for a broken 20 baht glass

I'll admit, the journalism was a bit shit, but the guy was not the owner of THIS bar, so nothing backfired on him. The shooter asked the victim whom he was aquainted with, to help him pay for the stuff he smashed and the guy rightly refused.

Rightly refused? He got shot in the head, bad calls don't come any worse than that.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this footage on a Thai TV station yesterday. What shocked me was the cool and calm manner that the gunman just walked up behind the victim, put the gun slowly behind his head, fired and calmly walked away. Later, it made me think on a broader issue, and if there are professional sociologist reading this then can they clarify my thoughts. In a country like Thailand, where compulsory conscription takes place, the raw young guy who enters the armed service is trained to use a fire arm, does this same guy leave and return to civilian ways with not just with this new acquired skill, but with a mindset to accompany it as well?

Maybe some Vietnam vet may or may not have witnessed this change in their comrades mindset? Just trying to make sense/reason of maybe how maybe "conditioning" effects humans to react in, non reasonable situations. Thanks

Probably less, not more likely behaviour from ex-military - at least the military instills some degree of self-discipline into guys.

To say that 'Life is Cheap in Thailand' is an immense understatement. Have all the lunatics been released from the asylums? Make me wonder.

The alleged perp will probably get a couple of years in jail for manslaughter, and 3+ years for carrying an unregistered firearm. Sorta how things seem to work here.

Pathetic!

What is the world coming to when a life is taken for the cost of a glass???

Did u notice over a 100 french died and they didnt do a darn thing wrong!

The 129 French victims were not killed in the 'heat of passion' by a mentally unstable Thai moron who happen to have a gun at the time he decided to go ballistic.

They were killed in pre-meditated, cold-blooded, calculated ambushes with religious and political overtones.

There is no comparison.

Saw this footage on a Thai TV station yesterday. What shocked me was the cool and calm manner that the gunman just walked up behind the victim, put the gun slowly behind his head, fired and calmly walked away. Later, it made me think on a broader issue, and if there are professional sociologist reading this then can they clarify my thoughts. In a country like Thailand, where compulsory conscription takes place, the raw young guy who enters the armed service is trained to use a fire arm, does this same guy leave and return to civilian ways with not just with this new acquired skill, but with a mindset to accompany it as well?

Maybe some Vietnam vet may or may not have witnessed this change in their comrades mindset? Just trying to make sense/reason of maybe how maybe "conditioning" effects humans to react in, non reasonable situations. Thanks

My Thai step-son went though military training last year, and I went through similar training decades ago.

Both my son and I understand how to use firearms. Neither of us left the military as psychopathic killers. Neither one of us would take a human life unless it was in self-defense or defense of our families.

You obviously never served your country with military service.

Your question is quite ignorant or deliberately inane - I can't tell which. I don't know your motivation for asking, but I have my suspicions.

This aberrant behavior is much more relevant to US war veterans who have done multiple tours of duty in Middle East / North African 'hot-zones'. But having lived in Thailand for awhile, I'd say it's even more relevant to a sub-culture of Thai males in this wonderful, but often deadly country, and has nothing to do with conscripted military service. For your edification, only a minority of Thai males are selected for military training. Most young Thai men who are selected via lottery or who volunteer as did my son, only go though what is essentially an extended boot camp (boot camp and a few months of duty on the base where they trained). My son had some rifle training (M16 I believe) but no handgun training at all. I belong to a gun club in Thailand and I'll be paying for his handgun training on my own dime (or baht). Yeah, I'm from the US. Most young men selected for training don't become Army, Air Force, or Navy regulars and the majority of inductees or volunteers are released 6 months after induction, and issued a paper stating they have served the military obligation. With this paper in hand, they can then obtain full-time jobs. Employers will generally not hire a Thai male unless they have the military release paperwork. If they want to make the military a career, they actually have to go though additional testing, pass these tests with good grades, and be selected to serve. And then they go through their real training for the job they are selected to do as their rating. There is competition for those military jobs, which beat the hell out of rice farming and working at 7/11. The men coming out of the military that I met had their heads screwed on well and had a sense of discipline that I don't see with men who have never served in the military. I'm more cautious around young Thai males who have never had the discipline of military training and tend to go off like loose cannons over virtually nothing - like a broken glass. Hope that answers your question.

A 20 Baht glass, wow, that is big money,, what about the guy that got shot and killed, for 4 Baht worth of petrol a few years ago ...

I will never go drinking with a Thai guy, they just go completely crazy after a few drinks.

You hear every other week that some guy kills his best mate, after a few drinks and a disagreement !!!

Same as the north American Indians. They just can't handle alcohol. To much fire water and they want to fight even with kin

And they too gang up..not a fair one on one. But my be they have same genes as Asia coming across to North America when the was land bridge from Russia thousand of years ago. Don' know but just a theory

I agree with the poster re the military angle. I live in a city in Thailand which is near a major naval and marine corps base. These are the most disciplined people I have ever been around. They are quiet; well spoken and friendly. While they may have weapons, they do not brandish them or get drunk and wave them around.. I trust them completely. On the other hand, those in the general public with weapons and carry them into clubs and bars are an incident waiting to happen.I avoid them like the plague.

Shall I make him pay for the broken glass or shoot him in the head his choice because I have a cunning full proof plan how to avoid spending the rest of my life rotting in a Thai prison I will run away and pretend I was not there so I couldnt have shot anyone everyone close their eyes and I will get away with murder easy peasy, why am I so clever.

I'll admit, the journalism was a bit shit, but the guy was not the owner of THIS bar, so nothing backfired on him. The shooter asked the victim whom he was aquainted with, to help him pay for the stuff he smashed and the guy rightly refused.

Based on the outcome, I'm not sure he chose rightly . . .

I think he meant rightfully, but I guess you already knew that, didn't you??

Surely there must be more to this story then just a broken glass. You don't normally walk around with a lons loaded gun. Maybe a hit?

are you joking? ALL the gun owners (guys and some women) I know, walk around with their guns loaded. Why would you walk around with an unloaded gun? This doesn't make sense

that is common in some bars break a glass you must pay.but they want you too pay triple the price of the glass.if I had the a bar I would not worry a broken glass is not worth dying for or getting a profit because of one.but the thai way of thinking back fired for him.he is now dead for a broken 20 baht glass

Read it again, and then maybe a third time. The victim did not break the glass.. and it wasn't even in his club. The killer......oh just read it again[ please.

They just cant control themselves,like children in kindergarten, just do it and cry later. I also make a point of never ever going for a drink with a Thai not even a beer in the village with someone i know well, they are just too unpredictable.

You fear all Thais?, thats ridiculous, I cant imagine why you live here, you must be a hermit.

I just imagine, times like (like so close after a huge tragic event, ie Paris) the thoughts we all carry, including this poor chap, that I/ we are so lucky not to have ever got caught up in such crazy pointless mind-blowing shit.. then you die over a broken f* glass!!! This world is just f*ed up!!! :/

Land of Juvenile Maturity, especially the men.

Thailand is a Matriarchal Society where most boys are raised by their mothers, grandmothers, aunts, or other female family members. And a lot of these boys tend to slip into grown men's bodies without developing a grown man's mind. Think about it.

My kid entered the military as a shy mamas-boy; he exited the military as a man. I appreciate what the Thai military did for him. It help him and his comrades and team-members to work together as a uniformed, disciplined group of grown men instead of whiny Nancy-boyz. Don't think I'm picking on Thais, I'm not. I have the same opinion of male 20 year old slackers in my own country.

Warning, don`t get into any arguments in Thailand, it could cost you your life.

Even driving on the same roads as these people scares the crap out of me, there is just no reasoning with them. What also surprises me is the number of people that carry guns here and seems to be the norm. Smiling one second, blow your head off the next. I have to wonder what makes these people tick?

Shall I make him pay for the broken glass or shoot him in the head his choice because I have a cunning full proof plan how to avoid spending the rest of my life rotting in a Thai prison I will run away and pretend I was not there so I couldnt have shot anyone everyone close their eyes and I will get away with murder easy peasy, why am I so clever.

sounds like a blackadder plot

No.

This crime has nothing to do with the Thai military service training or induced mindset.

Archived