will a Windows10 re-install be a virgin install?

sumrit

I installed windows 10 on my laptop several weeks ago but reverted back to windows 7 to eliminate a (graphics) problem that developed a few weeks after running 10. The problem turned out to be a fault on my laptop that Samsung have now repaired.

If I now want to install windows 10 again will I get a virgin install or will my PC have remembered various settings I'd changed during the previous install?

Just another thought, I was actually able to revert back to windows 7 six weeks after I'd installed windows 10 even though the 'revert option' states it's only available for 30 days. If I re-install windows 10 will I get the full 30 days (or more) option to revert back again?

Your computer's free update to Windows 10 has been set on the Microsoft Windows Activation Server, meaning for the life of that computer you are free to upgrade or directly install Windows 10 as many times as you like. The Windows Activation Server will recognize the 'digital fingerprint' of your PC since it was previously authorized for the upgraded installation.

No "Windows 10 Settings" have been stored anywhere, other than the digital entitlement of being able to install and activate Windows 10 again on that same exact PC.

So, your options are:

1. Run the Windows 10 Upgrade Offer in the System Tray, allow Windows to try and preserve all your existing settings, applications, and data in the process, or

2a. Upgrade to Windows 10 using the Microsoft Window Media Creation Tool to download the Upgrade Setup files.

2b. Perform a Clean Install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool to erase the previous installation and all files and install a Fresh Copy of Windows 10.

** See "Using the media creation tool" instructions presented lower on the update instruction page for further details oh the options.

Ok not tried and tested but disk cleanup once initiated you see a tab Cleanup system files this will delete any and I say any files called windows old or the like if at all any have been created so np but let the nit pickers have their field day rofl.

Many thanks for the replies. I've re-installed windows 10 and, initially everything seemed OK but, when attempting to put my 90 day report paperwork together, I've found I can't open a PDF in Adobe reader. I'm sure it was working OK after I installed W10 previously and I didn't use it while it was reverted to windows 7. I've attempted to un-install/re-install it but can't do either. I just get a message saying 'the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable' and suggests i 'find an alternate path to a folder containing the instalation package AcroRead.msi'.

Has anybody got any ideas where this acroread.msi folder might be or how I can un-install/re-install Adobe Reader please?

Just a thought, while I had reverted back to windows 7 I did go though my installed programs to get rid of old programs I no longer needed and believe that, among them, there were a couple of PDF to Word programs I'd looked at a couple of years ago that were still installed and un-installed them.

Could that be where the now missing/corrupted folder occurred?

The error message is saying you installed the Adobe product using a drive or network device that isn't currently online or accessible.

Suggest you use a third-party cleaner (like CCleaner) to uninstall and remove the Adobe installer files.

Adobe Acrobat compare Products

note: Only Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, Acrobat Pro DC, Acrobat XI Standard, Acrobat Standard DC, and Acrobat Reader DC are marked as Windows 10 compatible.

Thanks again for the reply.

However, when I try to un-install using CCleaner it still fails and I get the same 'missing AcroReader.msi' message.

Looking though an Adobe message forum it was suggested that downloading 'Microsoft Fix it' would allow Adobe to be un-installed. But that program won't even install. Half way through the installation I get an error message saying 'the command line argument is invalid. Error code: 0x80300113'.

Suggest you try these programs to remove the problematic adobe app

Adobe Acrobat Cleaner an adobe program used to removing previous Acrobat/Reader installations

Revo Uninstaller

I/O Bit Advanced Uninstaller

Once run, select More > Forced Uninstall from the program window.
Here you need to enter the full path of the installation and the program's exact name to completely remove it from the system.

Suggest you try these programs to remove the problematic adobe app

Adobe Acrobat Cleaner an adobe program used to removing previous Acrobat/Reader installations

Revo Uninstaller

I/O Bit Advanced Uninstaller

Once run, select More > Forced Uninstall from the program window.
Here you need to enter the full path of the installation and the program's exact name to completely remove it from the system.

Adobe Acrobat Cleaner cured the problem. Installed a fresh version of Reader DC once the problem files had finally been removed and it's working fine.

Thank you very much for your time patience and effort.

Much appreciated.

Archived