Extension of non-O volunteer visa

Hi all,

I want to check what the required paperwork is to extend my non-O volunteer visa (in Chiang Mai).

My work permit will be ready for pick up next week. And as an aside, just want to say that the staff in the Chiang Mai work permit office were the most friendly and helpful I've encountered in my 14 years in the LOS.

Anyway, I asked our foundation's lawyer about the visa extension requirements, but haven't gotten an answer yet (I'm not particularly impressed by this guy). So if anyone has any experience with this, any advice would be much appreciated.

BBTJ

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Now sure what they will be in Chiang Mai will be but these are what ls required by Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 documents for extension of stay. Also see the same clause in Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

"2.21 In the case of necessity where

the alien must stay to perform duties in a public charitable organization,
a foreign private company, a foundation, an association, a foreign chamber of commerce, the Thai Chamber of Commerce, or the Federation of Thai Industries:
(1) Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.
(2) In the case where there is no certification made by any government agency under Criterion (3) hereof, each permission shall be granted for no more than 90 days. 1. Application form
2. Copy of applicant’s passport
3. Copy of work permit
4. Copy of evidence of permission to establish the organization or a copy of the permit to enter into and operate the organization in the Kingdom issued by the relevant government agency
5. Letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay issued by the organization
6. List of aliens working in the organization
7. Only in the case of Criterion (3), the applicant must attach a letter of confirmation or request for a temporary stay issued by the head of a government agency equivalent to or higher than the departmental level or by the head of a state enterprise or by the head of another government agency relating to the organization."

7. Only in the case of Criterion (3), the applicant must attach a letter of confirmation or request for a temporary stay issued by the head of a government agency equivalent to or higher than the departmental level or by the head of a state enterprise or by the head of another government agency relating to the organization."

Thanks for the answer, Joe. 1-6 are no problem. But #7 is just a bit confusing. Please let me know if I am interpreting it correctly. Here is my understanding:

In order to be issued a full 1-year extension, my ngo would need to get the head of a local government agency (maybe the MoE since my role involves training teachers?) to give me/the ngo their endorsement.

Without that, I would only be granted a series of 90-day extensions.

Am I reading that correctly?

I know that sounds intimidating but you could just ask the local immigration office a letter from what agency would be acceptable for your one-year extension and have your Foundation invite such a person over for lunch. I know when I was staying with a large Thai Foundation although years back government officials were frequent lunch-time guests.

I agree. Definitely not impossible, but I just need to make sure my understanding is accurate. My visa needs to be extended at the end of the month, so we might not have time to get the approval yet. So I'm looking at a 90-day extension first, if I am not mistaken.

Edited by bigbadthaijohn

It is. The ngo is international and has been operating here for a number of years. However, we just got our official foundation status about 2 months ago. Which is just about the same time I joined up, meaning I was one of the first to get a non-O visa.

Well congratulations to your Foundation as that status is not easy. I would be prepared to have some patience because, depending upon your location, the local Immigration office might never have dealt with this type extension of stay either.

• Like 1