BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
jspill

Telling Immigration officers you work online, if questioned at border

I am utterly confused by this talk about "working online in Thailand" and would like to start a list of activities which which so-called digital nomads and online workers are doing and considering to be work which would theoretically require a work permit. I believe two contributors to this topic have written that they are digital nomads or online workers. Would they be kind enough to start with a list of their online activities?

This is the document where I make my list: https://docs.google.com/a/thaivisa.com/spreadsheets/d/1OyujxsheHP4ZMpqtrui_1vYCZx-YrnQYnEwIX0L8wh4/edit?usp=sharing

To go to your document Maestro, there are two or three hoops to go through.

Cannot just click on to see it.

• Like 1

Being able to show some form of proof of funds to support his stay worked in his favor (cash would have been best though).

Doesn't really matter if it's in a Thai bank book, Vientiane consulate was always fine with seeing one of those when applying for a 3rd - 4th tourist visa. They don't think Thai bank account = living here forever so not really a tourist.

Really? How much is required? I can show all $$ from abroad in my Thai bank book. I could never get a straight answer on this.

As to my feelings they are based upon lifelong experience of living in societies where money has become the greatest divisive factor. Firstly, in South Africa where a small group of white people had control over 90% of the country's wealth and power.

Even today, How do you think a middle-aged black man feels watching a white twenty two year old driving around in a car he could never afford his entire life - do you think he admires the young man and is proud that he lives in a country where such things are possible? Or do you not think this feeds a deep resentment and perhaps eventually revolutionary hatred. Think Bastille day in France. ...

The South African Elite Whites are rich because they plundered the resources of the locals and established a system of racial-apartheid to perpetuate that state of affairs. Foreigners in Thailand did not gain their wealth by stealing Thai gold and diamonds from the locals.

I do find the "whiteness factor" in Asia discomforting, having grown up in the USA-South in the 1970s, with its own version of "apartheid". I am not sure what that has to with Thailand resenting foreigners, though, given the love of "lilly-white skin" exists across Asia (sadly).

I resent the wealth and privilege, obtained by the few by corrupt means. I know I am not alone in this. I do not resent people who earned their money by actually working for it - providing a service others voluntarily paid for. Unfortunately, many locals (here and elsewhere) see "farang" as people who did not work hard, though many did.

"Foreigners in Thailand did not gain their wealth by stealing Thai gold and diamonds from the locals"

Hope I didn't suggest that, no the Thais have been robbed by their own for generations.

The only thing worse is if it feels like a foreigner is getting ahead. Corruption skews things in that the more corrupt officials tend to love the corrupt foreigners but treat their countryman with disdain. Not all foreigners are bad, not all Thais are bad. Some some but different? laugh.png

Edited by ParadiseLost

I always thought work was work ( even if ur not paid for it)

be it at an office, specific location or remotely

Your not Legally allowed to WORK on a tourist visa

end of story

• Like 1

I always thought work was work ( even if ur not paid for it)

be it at an office, specific location or remotely

Your not Legally allowed to WORK on a tourist visa

end of story

A simplistic definition like that just doesn't answer all the questions, though. If I answer an email about a job I'm doing outside Thailand in a few month's time, is that work? If I wash the dishes after dinner, is that work?

Everybody knows that the illegal workers that immigration are after are the TEFL teachers without a degree who work in schools. Whether it is right or wrong working online in Thailand on a tourist visa, the same thing happens in every other country. You can come to the UK on a visit visa and work online, I'm sure plenty of tourists do that and is it illegal, yes it is, but how will UK or Thai immigration find out that you are working online?

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

I am utterly confused by this talk about "working online in Thailand" and would like to start a list of activities which which so-called digital nomads and online workers are doing and considering to be work which would theoretically require a work permit. I believe two contributors to this topic have written that they are digital nomads or online workers. Would they be kind enough to start with a list of their online activities?

This is the document where I make my list: https://docs.google.com/a/thaivisa.com/spreadsheets/d/1OyujxsheHP4ZMpqtrui_1vYCZx-YrnQYnEwIX0L8wh4/edit?usp=sharing

Editing & proofreading pharmaceutical studies in German.

I was doing SEO outbound marketing via Skype in my condo and selling goods via eBay for 3 months earlier this year.

To go to your document Maestro, there are two or three hoops to go through.

Cannot just click on to see it.

I made a mistake with the access permission setting. Now it should work.

• Like 1

I am unsure how he got a Thai bank account, but do you think this worked in his favor, jspill?

I got a Thai bank account on a tourist visa back in 2005. They used to be very lax.

Content writing, affiliate marketing and travel blogging.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

Content writing, affiliate marketing and travel blogging.

It is said by some that "affiliate marketing" is another name for "Spamming".

Spamming activity centered in Thailand led to many sites/services worldwide rejecting any internet traffic originating from Thai ISPs/ Servers.

It is said by some that "affiliate marketing" is another name for "Spamming".

Spamming activity centered in Thailand led to many sites/services worldwide rejecting any internet traffic originating from Thai ISPs/ Servers.

Better log off Thaivisa then, it affiliates for properties, dating sites, hotels, car rentals, and more :)

• Like 1

Okay, pedantic as your reply is, I will still take up your silly 'challenge'.

As to my feelings they are based upon lifelong experience of living in societies where money has become the greatest divisive factor. Firstly, in South Africa where a small group of white people had control over 90% of the country's wealth and power.

Even today, How do you think a middle-aged black man feels watching a white twenty two year old driving around in a car he could never afford his entire life - do you think he admires the young man and is proud that he lives in a country where such things are possible? Or do you not think this feeds a deep resentment and perhaps eventually revolutionary hatred. Think Bastille day in France.

On to the second society, where I have lived more than ten years, among middle class Thai people (mostly small business owners), and they sure do resent upstart, ill-mannered foreigners living it up here permanently on exchange rate opulence. The same foreigners who clearly do not amount to anything in their own society, criminal types in a lot of cases.

Translate the SA situation to Thailand where the same wealth gap problem exists, then add in the mix that you are foreign and I would stand by my statements. Foreigners living here create a lot of resentment (if they throw their money around). They live like rich Thais rather than rich tourists.

But then this is only my opinion and you have not offered anything other than childish criticism - do you not have anything to offer at all?

Oh yes, I worked in the IT industry from 1984, and contracted in USA, EU, UK, China, Australia and Malaysia since 1989, what exactly do you hope to teach me with your infinite wisdom?

In many countries, those without money are extremely envious of those with, especially when there is a sense that the wealth is undeserved (for instance, inherited). You mention SA, but most Western countries are the same.

At least traditionally, and still to a large extent today, Thailand and other predominantly Buddhist nations have a different perspective. There is a strong belief in karma. Thais generally believe that their position in life is a consequence of their prior actions in this life and prior lives. They think that, if they act well, they will reap the rewards through luck in this life or being reborn into a much more comfortable existence. Thus, the wealthy foreigner is not in an unfair position. He is just reaping the just rewards of earlier moral actions, and his current bad behavior will be punished in the future.

I can see how, over time, Immigration may be less concerned upon entry to The Kingdom as to whether or not you are working (in any sense of the term) on a Tourist Visa. If MFA, at one its Embassy/Consulate locations, was willing to give you a Tourist Visa given their current and increasingly more stringent regulations, that may be enough for Immigration to feel that they need not to inquire further.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1