Chiang Mai What To See

Blackandwhite

To do, In no particular order:

* Doi Suthep temple, and some of the trails & waterfalls along the way.

* Walk through small sois in the city center and watch temples

* Kad Luang market (Talad Warorot / Big market, also in the evening)

* Wiang Khum Kam historical site.. (Don't expect to find Sukhothai, but it's a nice rural area anyway)

* Do a tour/trek. Nice to see the countryside

* Wat Umong temple

* The museum near the Three Kings monument

* Any kind of festivals that may be going on (Ask TAT)

* Chiang Dao area & Chiang Dao elephant center

* Places to eat: http://chanchao.fotopages.com along with The Riverside or other restaurants along the river. (Didn't get around to those yet. :o

* a Kantoke dinner perhaps, but preferably a good non-tourist trap one (ask in a separate post if interested)

To miss:

Tourist trap shops on the Sankamphaeng road. Bor Sang village may be worthwhile to buy souvenirs though.

Undecided: (=Things that I personally don't like, but acknowledge that many poeple do like them, or things that I do like but many people don't ;-)

* Night Bazar

* Sankamphaeng hot springs

* Snake/butterfly/orchid/elephant/dog/cat/monkey/bungeejump things on the Mae Sa Valley loop. It's a nice road though. ;-)

* Bars along Loi Kroh road, perhaps especially the new area near the Mae Ping hotel where you also get a boxing & ladyboy show. (Or was that the Bar Beer center & THapae?? Or both)

* Airport Plaza or Kad Suan Kaew ("Central") mall

Agree with Chanchao's to do list but would think doing the tourist trap shopping sites a must at least once. It is truly amazing the setups/pressure sales some of these shops have/use. A very educational experience. The night bazaar is not all that bad and starting prices are half those charged in Central Airport Plaza tourist village. Also the outdoor food mall on East side of Night Bazaar building is not bad. Kad Suan Kaew does have a good ice skate rink to cool down if you have children and many food stalls. Outside the rear side street entrance (road next to Ram Hospital) you can get a local meal to go for 5 baht including the rice.

Didn't we forget ######,...?

Never. He is, as the songwrites say, "Unforgettable."

And retired, I read somewhere else. Can you retire from posting your views in a forum? I do not know but I don't think so,.... :D

You certainly can. IT is living proof of it. :o

Right, Dr. Let just hope it will be temporary retirement,...