Where To Buy A Bread Machine?

merlin1

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if anybody has come across bread machines for sale in Bangkok. It's not something I've actively looked for before but I can't recall seeing them anywhere.

I've developed a passion for making my own bread lately in Canada and would like to continue in LOS.

Whole wheat and raisins is a fave.

Thanks!

I suspect that this topic would be better in general. However, I think I have seen them in Emporium couldn't tell you the price though. I have one that I shipped and don't really use it. If I want to make fancy pants bread (walnut is a fave) I do it by hand, although I appreciate the difficulties you face if you don't have an oven.

Good luck :o

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if anybody has come across bread machines for sale in Bangkok. It's not something I've actively looked for before but I can't recall seeing them anywhere.

I've developed a passion for making my own bread lately in Canada and would like to continue in LOS.

Thanks!

Would the lack of pre packaged bread mixes cause a problem once you purchased the machine itself? Or did you mix your own before baking?

I bought mine at Verasu in Bangkok. I'm happy with it, as it makes a good loaf and has all the settings I was hoping for. It's a Severin brand, cost about 4000bt.

There's an unusual one for sale here in Korat at The Mall. It does a horizontal style loaf, and has two mixing paddles. I don't know how well it works.

Oh, and you don't need to use prepackaged mixes or even make up your own. You just use a bread machine recipe, toss in the ingrdients, and turn it on. All the ingredients are available here in Korat, so surely are available in Bangkok. My bread machine came with a good number of recipes, I have a cookbook of nothing but bread machine recipes, plus there are many recipes online.

Edited by cathyy

I bought mine at Verasu in Bangkok. I'm happy with it, as it makes a good loaf and has all the settings I was hoping for. It's a Severin brand, cost about 4000bt.

There's an unusual one for sale here in Korat at The Mall. It does a horizontal style loaf, and has two mixing paddles. I don't know how well it works.

Oh, and you don't need to use prepackaged mixes or even make up your own. You just use a bread machine recipe, toss in the ingrdients, and turn it on. All the ingredients are available here in Korat, so surely are available in Bangkok. My bread machine came with a good number of recipes, I have a cookbook of nothing but bread machine recipes, plus there are many recipes online.

Good to hear -- even if the price is a little steep. I think that's about double what they are in the West.

It's hard to find tasty, healthy and inexpensive bread anywhere in Thailand. Making bread is so much easier with a machine.

Another question: how easy is it to find whole wheat flour? I'm assuming it's in the big stores, but since I wasn't really attuned to the availability of baking ingredients when I there last, I don't really know.

Another question: how easy is it to find whole wheat flour? I'm assuming it's in the big stores, but since I wasn't really attuned to the availability of baking ingredients when I there last, I don't really know.

I brought a machine with me from Oz together with Bread mixes made from Oz wheat.

The bread was fantastic.

Even my Thai family loved it.

Then we ran out of bread mix.

We discovered some flour and yeast at Big C and thought we'd be fine.

Wrong!

The bread we made with that flour was really tastless in comparison.

I don't know where you can get good wheat flour in LOS.

It's a pity because I too have not found a decent tasting bread anywhere in LOS.

I never use any kind of a mix. You can just toss the ingredients into the bake pan and it will turn out great.

One small problem with the whole-wheat flour would be possible weevils.

To avoid that problem store your flour in the freezer.

You can buy whole wheat flour at most Top's mkts and some Tesco Lotus Mkts I think

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

2/3 tsp. salt

1 1/3 tsp. brown sugar

2 c. whole-wheat flour

2 c. bread flour

1 1/3 c. water

2 1/2 tbsp. butter

2 tsp. Yeast

Jim From Sa Kaeo

• Like 1

Cheers, Jim. Just what the doctor ordered! I never use a mix. Just the basics.

I think the heat and humidity may make things interesting in terms of the chemistry of bread making. I may have to experiment with the ingredients a bit.

Merlin if you like to experiment try this -

1 cup water

2/3 cup sourdough starter

1/2 cup honey

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil

4 cups whole wheat bread flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons

Place ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.

Select Whole Wheat bread cycle and start machine.

Makes one (2 pound) loaf.

This is some of the best whole wheat bread I have ever had.

Jim from Sa Kaeo

I bought mine in either Central or Emporium, forget which. Brand is Marvac and I'm very happy with it. Wasn't cheap but well worth it.

The Tops supermarkets carry a good and inexpensive whole wheat and also dark rye flower.

1 cup water

1/2 cup honey

1 teaspoon salt

Place ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.

Jim from Sa Kaeo

Can you tell me where I might get sourdough starter in Bangkok?

Hi Folks,

Thanks!

If you are looking for baking tools in Bangkok, I think one good place would be VERASU - right opposite the US embassy on Wireless Road. They have all kinds of baking equipment including bread makers which are currently on sale. They also sell bread mixes and other health products like organic flax seed.

• 3 years later...

QUOTE(cathyy @ 2006-10-07 20:57:46) I bought mine at Verasu in Bangkok. I'm happy with it, as it makes a good loaf and has all the settings I was hoping for. It's a Severin brand, cost about 4000bt.

Good to hear -- even if the price is a little steep. I think that's about double what they are in the West.

It's hard to find tasty, healthy and inexpensive bread anywhere in Thailand. Making bread is so much easier with a machine.

Where is this shop in Korat?

i need whole wheat flour and dark wheat flour.

would be very thankfull if you could give me the address!

thanks

• 4 months later...

1 cup water

1/2 cup honey

1 teaspoon salt

Jim from Sa Kaeo

Can you tell me where I might get sourdough starter in Bangkok?

You can try making your own-here is a recipe:

I've listed the ingredients and approximate steps here .

• Step 1. Mix 3 ½ tbs. whole wheat flour with ¼ cup unsweetened pineapple juice. Cover and set aside for 48 hours at room temperature. Stir vigorously 2-3x/day. ("Unsweetened" in this case simply means no extra sugar added).
  • Step 2. Add to the above 2 tbs. whole wheat flour and 2 tbs. pineapple juice. Cover and set aside for a day or two. Stir vigorously 2-3x/day. You should see some activity of fermentation within 48 hours. If you don't, you may want to toss this and start over (or go buy some!)
  • Step 3. Add to the above 5 ¼ tbs. whole wheat flour and 3 tbs. purified water. Cover and set aside for 24 hours.
  • Step 4. Add ½ cup whole wheat flour and 1/4 to 1/3 cup purified water. You should have a very healthy sourdough starter by now.

You can use this starter right away, or it can be held in the fridge until you are ready to use it. I keep it in a clean large covered Tupperware container in the fridge, and take it as needed.

The starter is a living thing, and as such it needs to be fed periodically or it will die. You should feed you culture every 3 days, and after every time you use it. To feed it, take away half of the culture, and mix in an equal amount of flour and water in about a 3/2 ratio.

You can much more than double it if you wish. Doubling the starter will make the sourest bread, and adding 4 or 6 times the amount of the starter while feeding the starter, will make a starter that will produce less sour bread.

Your sourdough starter will last indefinitely, as long as you remember to feed it regularly, and it will get better with age. There are some bakeries in SF that claim to be using a starter that is over 100 years old!

You can save some for future bread making, letting it get really sour or give some to bread making friends!

Edited by orchidlady

They sell 'proper' western style bread in the food store on the 5th floor of The Emporium in Bangkok. I buy it, freeze it and then use it a couple of slices at a time for making toast.

They have various types, it's just as good as the bread I get at home.

Apparently there's some kind of bakery in the JW Marriott hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 2 that also sells good quality wholegrain bread.

• 8 years later...

Have been a breadmaker [machine & hand ] for many years now. This Severin is my 3rd machine in Thailand, now 7 years [5 on a sailboat ]. 

2 problems,1 the paddle bearing has worn out in the pan I just put silicone parchment in place & put liquid in last.

2 The digital readout, initially very small is now fading & almost unreadable, but as I make the same loaf mostly, not a problem.

Bread flour available Macro/ Supercheap/Villa etc. Rye /wheat/ grain flour & molasses from Villa. Not the cheapest shopping experience.

My recipe;

3cups bread mix, 1 cup rye ,

2 table spoons instant oats, 2tsp salt ,2 tsp dry yeast, 1 heaped tblsp full cream milk pdr,

2 tblsp  olive oil .& 2 tblsp molasses.

300 ml +/- water.

Keeps for around 3 days & then refrigerate.

DSCF1277.JPG