Living in Korat

Kenny202

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there many farangs there? I did read somewhere the locals could be aggressive towards farang. Probably a generalization

I've lived in Korat for 2 years now and have never experienced any aggression by the locals.

OP:

I like it here, life is buch slower than in many other parts of Thailand. There's a small farang community in the city but as far as I can see, most foreigners here tend to mind their own business and leave others alone.

It's possible to get decent western food in a few different places around town.

It's only a 4 hour drive to BKK or a 5 hour drive to Udon if ever you feel the need to get away for a few days.

Few people here speak English so it can be difficult getting what you want but most people are very patient and do genuinely try to help you as best they can.

Overall, I rate Korat highly.

If Korat was near the beach, it would have been my number 1 place to live in

Thailand

If it had everything is has now, and the places being built currently, and a beach, it might not be a nice place for very long.

Isnt that ironic though?

My partner who lived and worked in BKK, CM, and a number of other cities (and from the south) really liked her visits there. She got the same great vibes several of us have echoed. Im an ocean guy and settled in phuket. A cesspool for sure in many areas.

I just realized we have been talking too highly of the town lately. shhhhhhh

Thailand

having to go and put your towel on the deck chair,all the hassle off the jet ski operators,trying to get forty winks only to get pestered by hawkers,plenty of soi dogs,

not in a million yrs.

come and spend a day with me,free arm chair,best food, best cider,nobody to bother you,birds singing all day and the odd nudge now and then from my beloved

SAM wanting a treet. HEAVEN welcomeani.gifcoffee1.gifburp.gif

Thailand

having to go and put your towel on the deck chair,all the hassle off the jet ski operators,trying to get forty winks only to get pestered by hawkers,plenty of soi dogs,

not in a million yrs.

come and spend a day with me,free arm chair,best food, best cider,nobody to bother you,birds singing all day and the odd nudge now and then from my beloved

Sounds nice. So, what's your address and when is the best time to come?

Ya know the funny thing about all the negative things you hear about places like phuket and pattaya really dont effect the normal expats that live in the areas. I dont frequent any of the sketchy areas so the scams so prevalent directed towards tourists dont bother me at all. And funny when a local knows you are from the area and not a tourist, they change their ways and tone towards you. So overall I can deal with the area. Although admittedly Sam's place doesnt sound bad.

Thailand

not in a million yrs.

4hrs.east of bangkok ask anyone where does the daft TAFF live with the TALKING DOG.

if your coming from bkk.bring some BRANSTON PICKLE with you.wai.gif

Thailand

not in a million yrs.

4hrs.east of bangkok ask anyone where does the daft TAFF live with the TALKING DOG.

if your coming from bkk.bring some BRANSTON PICKLE with you.

wai.gif

Why don't you just order your Branston pickle from Nookiebear??

HL

Thailand

not in a million yrs.

if your coming from bkk.bring some BRANSTON PICKLE with you.

Four hours east of Bangkok wont put you anywhere near Korat. Can you be a bit more specific?

Don't worry guys. Just took a rental in Khon kaen :-)

Welcome! Immigration office here is tops, IMHO.

You must be joking. They asked me for 1000 Baht to enable me to do my next 90 day report by post!!

When I said I would do on the net they said that was broken and wouldn't be fixed anytime soon which was a lie.

18 years in Bangkok never had a problem. First time in KK I get one.

Don't worry guys. Just took a rental in Khon kaen :-)

Welcome! Immigration office here is tops, IMHO.

You must be joking. They asked me for 1000 Baht to enable me to do my next 90 day report by post!!

When I said I would do on the net they said that was broken and wouldn't be fixed anytime soon which was a lie.

18 years in Bangkok never had a problem. First time in KK I get one.

I can only relate my own experiences. Last renewal, 20 minutes.

Last 90-day report took my wife about 30 minutes because the officer was apparently explaining the numerous visa options to a European gent who couldn't decide if he wanted to marry his gf. biggrin.png

We live in Chaiyaphum now and love the mountains forests etc. Udon and Khonkaen for me pretty featureless. I know Korat have the national parks. Is it scenic like that?

I think we'll do a little trip there

Korat proper is pretty flat terrain.

have you ever visited Korat? Ever been to Khao Yai or Pak Chong?

We live in Chaiyaphum now and love the mountains forests etc. Udon and Khonkaen for me pretty featureless. I know Korat have the national parks. Is it scenic like that?

Robert, when he said Korat "proper" I would take it as meaning around the city not in the far reaches of the province, in which case he is dead right and it is as flat as a pancake around here.

HL

Robert, when he said Korat "proper" I would take it as meaning around the city not in the far reaches of the province, in which case he is dead right and it is as flat as a pancake around here.

HL

Hello, oh yes, been to KY and surrounds. Very nice.

Correct, was referring to the main Nakhon Rat city area, not the province as a whole.

HL

I guess Chiang Mai is flat as a pancake too then, ah and Chiang Rai too.

HL

I guess Chiang Mai is flat as a pancake too then, ah and Chiang Rai too.

Nobody said that.

FWIW, from the look out point on the way up Doi Suthep, CM "proper" does appear to be a fairly flat basin/valley, bracketed by mountainous terrain.

Never been to CR but have seen lots of pictures, looks very nice, will visit one of these days.

post-134393-0-91723300-1449581218_thumb.

• 9 months later...
On 1 December 2015 at 10:00 AM, meatboy said:

do you mean,TAXI'S,TUK TUK DRIVERS, VETS,PHARMACY'S,SOME MARKET TRADERS,CAR SALES PERSONS,JUST TO NAME A FEW.

i have lived here perminent for 6yrs.and visited for around 12yrs before that.

please enlighten me where these fair and honest ARE in korat.

I am on 4 years here and frankly my self assessment of my mental state is very low. Bored shitless, bugger all to do ( unless being ripped off by those fair and honest citizens is your thing) and increasingly fed up with being viewed as some sort of alien. 

It it is a small provincial town with small provincial mentality. You are the foreigner and as such not a part of their perfect and orderly lives.

in my experience, dishonesty is the norm. 

Unless you you are willing to take on such xenophobia, my suggestion is stay where the farangs are. I am making plans right now to get out of this appalling hell hole and move to a more civilised place.

oFC it is always your choice 

5 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

I am on 4 years here and frankly my self assessment of my mental state is very low. Bored shitless, bugger all to do ( unless being ripped off by those fair and honest citizens is your thing) and increasingly fed up with being viewed as some sort of alien. 

It it is a small provincial town with small provincial mentality. You are the foreigner and as such not a part of their perfect and orderly lives.

in my experience, dishonesty is the norm. 

Unless you you are willing to take on such xenophobia, my suggestion is stay where the farangs are. I am making plans right now to get out of this appalling hell hole and move to a more civilised place.

oFC it is always your choice 

Such as? 

Archived