Removing double sided tape

monsieurhappy

Since breaking one of the clear window over-riders ( not sure what they are called ) I want to remove the double sided tape that was holding it on before I can replace. Most of the tape as been removed but the sticky part will not budge! I need something that will remove the sticky but NOT the paint?

If you know of anything ,can you tell me where I can buy it in Pattaya?

Thanks.

paint = car finish / lacquer

I removed tar residue from the car finish with turpentine.

Just recently removed remains of double sided tape from tiles with turpentine.

Both worked fine without damaging the surface.

But extremely stinking, wear disposable gloves and a cloth to dispose or burn!

What you can try first is acetone (nail polish remover).

Available at every drugstore.

For sticky tape on painted surfaces, I first try the kitchen cleaner that comes in the orange spray bottle. Wear gloves because it will wick every bit of oily moisture out of your hands- and that can't be a good thing.

If that doesn't work, the next thing I'd try is WD-40.

Then it's mineral spirits (paint thinner)

Lacquer thinner or acetone is about 95% guaranteed to ruin the paint, so I only use it on glass and bare metal like anodized aluminum anf fiberglass gel coat.

Any essential oil (eucalyptus, tea tree etc) will help loosen it, but you'll need heat to make it easy work / not scratch the paint underneath while attempting to remove. Try not to use any cloth - just your fingers only - to avoid scratching.

WD-40. I you will find it will come right of with a little pressure from a cloth. Use lots.

Sonax is a cheaper local brand than WD-40 Works just as well.

I always though Sonax was German.. now I need to check :)

You can save the effort tongue.png

It IS German, one of the familiar views when walking through the shops in Thailand.

My can is almost empty, have to stock up today.

And it is indeed quite affordable.

I never tried it for tape removing though.

The front side of the can is printed completely in German language.

On the back there is a description in German and Thai.

After having used the WD-40, which by the litre is the same price as Sonax (funny that!). Mostly because it doesn't evaporate quickly. Finish the job off with lighter fluid which also won't remove the paint but evaporates too quickly for the first step.

After having used the WD-40, which by the litre is the same price as Sonax (funny that!). Mostly because it doesn't evaporate quickly. Finish the job off with lighter fluid which also won't remove the paint but evaporates too quickly for the first step.

A few years back... actually a fair few years back, I decided to remove all the badges from my Ford Telstar (yes, THAT long ago). They all came off easily but left the double-sided adhesive tape which wouldn't budge. I resorted to squirting the tape patches with Ronsonol lighter fluid (for Zippo's) and then setting them on fire. Just let it burn long enough that you see the foam tape carbonizing and rub vigorously with a rag to douse the flame and the tape comes off like ash. No paint damage. Do it in the shade and not in direct sunlight otherwise the blue flame will be invisible and too much burning, running Ronsonol may set the cat on fire.

use a hair dryer to heat up the residual glue then rub it off with finger or carefully wih wooden stick from ice cream. repeat, repeat, repeat. last remaining bits can be removed using rubbing alcohol on cloth. wd40 here won't soak into the glue and can just run down into the rubber seals around your windows.

Archived