Foreign sunbathers get boot from Phuket park

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats with the bar huggers commenting on Phuket town being a resort town?

There's barely any hotels in Phuket town, its a CITY FOR THAIS. The only tourist we get there are backpackers looking 5mins at some old shophouses.

Saphan Hin is a city park with sport facilities.

Barely any hotels in Phuket town, PM me and I will take you out and show you at least 50.

A guesthouse isnt a hotel

A cheap spring mattress bed in a room is not a hotel

a Hostel is not a hotel

We found 128 hotels with availability in Phuket Town. Showing 1 – 30

Agoda search.

A country that have to warn their tourist not to sun bathe in a bikini in tourists spots just so the will not ne sexually harassed, has a lot to be answered for and can not

be called a tourists destination... wouldn't be much more prudent to be on a lookout for predators rather

than shoo tourist away and thus giving Thailand a bad name?

It doesn't take long to understand why Thai girls wear jeans and t-shirts while swimming in the sea...

You got it totally wrong, probably due to not understanding Thai society and (if you actually live in Thailand) being completely disconnected from the people and culture.

Thai people do not sun bathe, and usually wear jeans and t-shirt on the beach as wearing a bikini is like being naked for them. Only place the'd wear a swimming suit (and usually a very modest one) is in a swimming pool where it is not allowed to go in the water fully dressed, but most will put on a gown as soon as they get out of the water. You might view it as ridiculous and old fashion, but this is Thailand, the land of the Thais and if you come here you have to respect it.

Being a tourist destination Thais are willing to accept that sort of dress code on the beach, but not in a park where you are supposed to be dressed up.

As for the police explanation - again, you have to understand the Thai way in order to understand why it was explained the way that it was.

You are a GUEST in THEIR country. If you can not respect their customs or beliefs LEAVE!

It doesn't take long to understand why Thai girls wear jeans and t-shirts while swimming in the sea...

It's called decency and sun protection. As a society we decided long ago to cover our body and move on from sex, hunt, gather to better things

Walking around naked is not what society is about(especially in Thailand). Might be enjoyable for some when the woman is hot but most of the time its downright upsetting because its the ugliest whales that cover the least.

The police are not using the word decency because the western civilization that mostly visits thailand have never heard of that word. Safety makes it easier for them to understand why they cant walk around naked and makes them a bit more scared to act out for attention by being naked in public.

What are you, a puritan? Maybe you didn't notice, but it is now the 21st Century, not the 1600s.

Totally disconnect from the culture or their people sounds like the many traveling and living here. The fact is the majority can really care less about the Thais or their culture. And they bitch and moan how bad the Thais treat them. I wonder why? HINT! HINT! HINT!

A country that have to warn their tourist not to sun bathe in a bikini in tourists spots just so the will not ne sexually harassed, has a lot to be answered for and can not

be called a tourists destination... wouldn't be much more prudent to be on a lookout for predators rather

You got it totally wrong, probably due to not understanding Thai society and (if you actually live in Thailand) being completely disconnected from the people and culture.

Thai people do not sun bathe, and usually wear jeans and t-shirt on the beach as wearing a bikini is like being naked for them. Only place the'd wear a swimming suit (and usually a very modest one) is in a swimming pool where it is not allowed to go in the water fully dressed, but most will put on a gown as soon as they get out of the water. You might view it as ridiculous and old fashion, but this is Thailand, the land of the Thais and if you come here you have to respect it.

Being a tourist destination Thais are willing to accept that sort of dress code on the beach, but not in a park where you are supposed to be dressed up.

As for the police explanation - again, you have to understand the Thai way in order to understand why it was explained the way that it was.

Lead us not into temptation...

Is Phuket short of beaches and pools?

No,Just short of patrolling policemen ( they are busy collecting $ at the shops) to keep parks safe.

I can relate to shortage of policemen. The only time I see one is when shopping or in the bank and no he does not work for the bank.

Totally disconnect from the culture or their people sounds like the many traveling and living here. The fact is the majority can really care less about the Thais or their culture. And they bitch and moan how bad the Thais treat them. I wonder why? HINT! HINT! HINT!

Thai people are bit by bit drawn into the 2100'st century, whether they like it or not, whom you are refering to is the majority of Thais, the farmers and their kids.

It's NOT Thai culture either you are referring to, not long ago, maybe 100 years or so, women didn't have a problem showing their breasts and didn't wear any underwear, people had sex in the fields while planting/harvesting rice.

Thai culture isn't made in 100 years, any culture isn't made in 100 years which is a piss in the ocean of times.

So the message from some posters seems to be :

It's OK to be tourists (and bring us your money) but only how and only where, we want you to be.

Sorry folks, but that particular Trojan Horse dumped its load in your house far too long ago for you to do anything about it now.

You made the deal, now you're paying.

Change is the pulse of the world.

It is their country. If they feel it is not good to wear like this in the park just respect it. In many countries it is allowed by law or by their culture to wear bikinis in parks. people just not do it. is some countries it is common just respect the local culture and customs.

I'll ask again, "Has any Thai law actually been broken?"

If not, it appears the Police Officer has taken the law into his own hands, and had no right to ask them to leave.

A few things you and your tourist mates might want to read before getting on the plane.

http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/thai-etiquette/

http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/dos-donts-in-thailand/

http://www.kohsamuisunset.com/what-to-wear-in-thailand/

You of all people NKM should know way better how to behave and dress respectfully in

Thailand.!!!

As usual the obvious idiots are either not living in Phuket(ie: linky living repressed in malaysia) or aussie tourists waiting for their 1 week a year vacation with their beer bar honeys hoping that thailand turns as depraved as they are.

I can't believe some of these low lives think you can walk around Saudi Arabia,Turkey or other muslims countries that have tourism in mini skirts. It might be legal in some but not only is it highly disrespectful, you might also face repercussion from locals & police.

Again Sapan Hin is not a tourist destination nor a beach.

Please enlighten me how I am livng repressed in malaysia?

Seems to be a lot more open and enlightened than what some posters here are like and more enlightened than what somebwant Phuket, the sun, sand, beach holiday island to be.

Perhaps Utah is not enough for some, Saudi Arabia may be more to their liking. One would think they have never seen anyone in a bikini before. For some reason they thin its ok for families and children to see bikinis on a public beach but once that bikini steps foot off the beach it becomes naked and disgusting.

Ahh the joys of the inadequate.

Sadly the majority of foreigners in Thailand don,t seem to get that. It's the i,ll do as i damn please attitudes of the foreigners that piss off the Thais. Seen far too many half naked foreign women walking down main street and into shops. I wonder why the Thais do not respect us. Get a grip this is Southeast Asia not Brazil !

Perhaps surprisingly i understand it is illegal for woman to be topless in public (including the beach) in Brazil.

I would happily lie naked on a beach in the Greek Islands but i would never go into a restaurant or shop without a top on. It is about where you are and what is appropriate and what is incongruous. I don't know the park in question but from reading the above posts it seems that being bikini clad was disrespectful and damaging to the overall reputation of visitors.

It is their country. If they feel it is not good to wear like this in the park just respect it. In many countries it is allowed by law or by their culture to wear bikinis in parks. people just not do it. is some countries it is common just respect the local culture and customs.

If not, it appears the Police Officer has taken the law into his own hands, and had no right to ask them to leave.

A few things you and your tourist mates might want to read before getting on the plane.

You of all people NKM should know way better how to behave and dress respectfully in

Thailand.!!!

I believe he was asking if it was legal. Did the police have a legal basis to tell them to cover up.

They werent in a restaurant, they were in a park.

Thailand.!!!

I had a quick look at your links, PJ.

None of them quote Thai Law, particularly in relation to indecent exposure in a public place.

They deal with "travel tips" and "Thai culture" and "Thai etiquette."

My question goes directly to Thai Law, and whether an offence has been committed by the tourists or not.

It's a strictly legal question. It's not a question about Thai culture or etiquette for tourists traveling in Thailand.

Thailand.!!!

None of them quote Thai Law, particularly in relation to indecent exposure in a public place.

My question goes directly to Thai Law, and whether an offence has been committed by the tourists or not.

It's a strictly legal question. It's not a question about Thai culture or etiquette for tourists traveling in Thailand.

It would seem there is no law against it. They were not on a business property, they were on public land and as far as I can understand doing nothing illegal. The police were out of order.

Traditional Thai culture and (modern) Thai culture are worlds apart. Modern Thai culture sees young women wearing the skimpiest of clothes wherever they go be it a beach or a shopping mall. Traditional Thai culture would never have allowed it but this is modern Thailand. When I first came to Thailand I took out some of my body piercings because they drew more attention than I wanted. Modern Thai culture is pierced and tattooed far beyond anything I have. Times change and a bikini in a park.....that's nothing. Go to Pattaya Phuket or Hua Hin and look at the shirtless foreigners wandering around the shopping malls. THAT is really something to be offended by

Any person who performs such a disgraceful act in public by undressing himself, exhibiting his undressed person or committing any other act of obscenity shall be liable to a fine not exceeding five hundred baht.

that is the law in thailand and for the current ways of the country, a bikini in a non beach area would be considered obscene.

an other translation:

Section 388 Whoever, doing any shameful act in public by indecently exposing oneself's person, or by committing the other indecent act, shall be fined not out of five hundred Baht.

Any person who performs such a disgraceful act in public by undressing himself, exhibiting his undressed person or committing any other act of obscenity shall be liable to a fine not exceeding five hundred baht.

that is the law in thailand and for the current ways of the country, a bikini in a non beach area would be considered obscene.

an other translation:

Section 388 Whoever, doing any shameful act in public by indecently exposing oneself's person, or by committing the other indecent act, shall be fined not out of five hundred Baht.

Thank you, proves no law was broken.

Thailand.!!!

Post from another thread by police volunteer seems to indicate illegal act.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/445186-pulled-over-at-police-check-point-and-told-to/page-4

same thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/445186-pulled-over-at-police-check-point-and-told-to/page-2

They werent topless, nor were they male.

Surpising some think a bikini in a public park on a tropical island is offensive. One has to wonder about how some think sometimes.

I suppose Im so used to it in australia where seeing a girl in a bikini is a common scene and not offensive at all. I guess Some westerners are offended very easily. Perhaps should reconsider where they live if so easily offended.

They werent topless, nor were they male.

Surpising some think a bikini in a public park on a tropical island is offensive. One has to wonder about how some think sometimes.

I suppose Im so used to it in australia where seeing a girl in a bikini is a common scene and not offensive at all. I guess Some westerners are offended very easily. Perhaps should reconsider where they live if so easily offended.

I can imagine the conversation with their friends.

"Yeah, we came to the Island of Phuket and got kicked out of a public park for sunbathing."

"Really? I think we'll cancel the vacation plans to Thailand and head to Canjun or Cabo. Thanks for the 'heads up'."

an other translation:

Were the tourists "exhibiting their undressed person?" No. They were wearing bikinis, which is within the Thai Law on a beach here, therefore, must be in other similar public places.

"Or any other act of obscenity" - is sunbaking with a bikini on an "act of obscenity" or "a shameful act?"

If so, why aren't tourists arrested on the beach and fined, or gaoled? Simple answer is, it's not an "act of obscenity" and it's not a "shameful act" and it's not an "indecent act."

"a bikini in a non beach area would be considered obscene" - this your opinion, not Thai Law.

I have a question for you, bearpolar. If wearing a bikini ANYWHERE in Thailand except on a beach is "considered obscene, indecent and shameful" how is it this heavily publicized national event is allowed in Thailand?

Note that it was televised on national Thai TV, on channel 3.

Oh, and by the way, they are not bar girls. biggrin.png

A strange comment to make, considering Thailand has the biggest sex trade in the world, per capita.

The cop should have suggested that they proceed to a Go-Go Bar where they'd fit right in.

If the Police Officer was smart, he should have knocked off work early and joined them. cheesy.gif

Archived