Foreign sunbathers get boot from Phuket park

webfact

They werent topless, nor were they male.

Surpising some think a bikini in a public park on a tropical island is offensive. One has to wonder about how some think sometimes.

I suppose Im so used to it in australia where seeing a girl in a bikini is a common scene and not offensive at all. I guess Some westerners are offended very easily. Perhaps should reconsider where they live if so easily offended.

Yes, but only in relatively recent times. I can recall the infamous beach inspectors at Bondi kicking out girls in bikinis. That would have been in the 60s. ( in fact there's a famous cartoon from the Paper at the time showing a grossly obese old man wearing speedos saying to one of the bikini-clad girls "get off the beach, your'e disgusting") The rule changed overnight and bikinis were welcome. About the same time that people stopped wearing hats as everyday wear.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't take long to understand why Thai girls wear jeans and t-shirts while swimming in the sea...

It's called decency and sun protection. As a society we decided long ago to cover our body and move on from sex, hunt, gather to better things

Walking around naked is not what society is about(especially in Thailand). Might be enjoyable for some when the woman is hot but most of the time its downright upsetting because its the ugliest whales that cover the least.

The police are not using the word decency because the western civilization that mostly visits thailand have never heard of that word. Safety makes it easier for them to understand why they cant walk around naked and makes them a bit more scared to act out for attention by being naked in public.

Bikini clad does not mean naked!!! And FYI it's now 2015

Thank you. Thai society does not exactly have an aversion to sex. It is used to sell everything, and the country has a sex industry that is only topped in size by the US. So, lets dispense with this false modesty.

While I agree with your sentiment, you missed one very important word:

Illegal!

The sex trade is illegal, it is illegal to sell (maybe even own?) sex toys!

Head in the sand syndrome?

Thais are brought up to be "Shy" about their bodies, many Thai ladies wear more clothes in bed than when they walk outside!

This leads to lust within the male group - they want what thy can't see.

One only has to look at what is happening in Europe now with the mass influx of Muslims.

I just read a newspaper article that said that "Sweden is being raped to death".

I think that the policeman was quite right and that he cares for the tourists safety.

It's a pity it is like this - but it is!

Ladies - take care out there!

Well let's go to Thailand, where we, the up ourselves westerners, can do want we want, when we want and how dare you enforce the law of the land upon us. I have been to Central Park, New York, Hyde Park, Sydney, London's Hyde Park and never seen anyone sunbaking in a bikini. But I bet there are some on here who will tell they have. Admittedly, these are not on a tropical island but I would have thought there are enough beaches on Phuket to cover the neeeds of any sunbathers. I thought a beach, beside a pool or in one's backyard would present sufficients areas to sunbath but no, we must go to a park that is not designated for such activities.

And no, I am not offended by their antics but there would be many Thais who would be and as if we farangs do not have enough problems here because of other farangs doing what they believe they can, where and when they can, all with impunity. Who cares if it's 2015 and a tropical climate, what gives these tossers the right to do as they please, when where they please. I'd say that one would have to have concerns as to their level of upbringing and the lack of pride they appear to have for themselves.

Oh,that's right, it's Thailand isn't it, a 3rd world country, full of corruption, home to the sex trade, what a lot of inane comments to condone what these disrespectful types get up to. Good on the cops, and as far as those who criticise owing to the reasons offered by them, well I would say that the cops' actions were quite reasonable. Now given, not only here in Thailand but world wide, the types of sexual deviates that are loose in society, what would you lot say if the headlines read. "Three bikini clad females sexually attacked whilst sunbaking in Park." I can hear your hew and cries now. But it didn't happen because a couple of cops did their job.

You know, it amazes me that no matter what, even if the cops or anyone else for that matter, try to do something that might prevent an incident, there are so many of here that want to decry their actions and proffer inane objections for them doing so, They just can't win, can they?

Foreigners will look for any excuse to do as the please. I guess this includes drunk driving, using drugs, no passport no valid visa, drunk in public, dressing like a slob at government offices and in public, walking around in public areas half naked, showing off your young bar girl young enough to be your grand daughter, having sex with underage kids, robbing banks, never bothering to learn the most simple words in Thai like thank you (i guess finger pointing is your language), walking with beer in hand in public before the sun rises, Any more excuses i may have forgotten?

Well let's go to Thailand, where we, the up ourselves westerners, can do want we want, when we want and how dare you enforce the law of the land upon us. I have been to Central Park, New York, Hyde Park, Sydney, London's Hyde Park and never seen anyone sunbaking in a bikini. But I bet there are some on here who will tell they have. Admittedly, these are not on a tropical island but I would have thought there are enough beaches on Phuket to cover the neeeds of any sunbathers. I thought a beach, beside a pool or in one's backyard would present sufficients areas to sunbath but no, we must go to a park that is not designated for such activities.

And no, I am not offended by their antics but there would be many Thais who would be and as if we farangs do not have enough problems here because of other farangs doing what they believe they can, where and when they can, all with impunity. Who cares if it's 2015 and a tropical climate, what gives these tossers the right to do as they please, when where they please. I'd say that one would have to have concerns as to their level of upbringing and the lack of pride they appear to have for themselves.

Oh,that's right, it's Thailand isn't it, a 3rd world country, full of corruption, home to the sex trade, what a lot of inane comments to condone what these disrespectful types get up to. Good on the cops, and as far as those who criticise owing to the reasons offered by them, well I would say that the cops' actions were quite reasonable. Now given, not only here in Thailand but world wide, the types of sexual deviates that are loose in society, what would you lot say if the headlines read. "Three bikini clad females sexually attacked whilst sunbaking in Park." I can hear your hew and cries now. But it didn't happen because a couple of cops did their job.

You know, it amazes me that no matter what, even if the cops or anyone else for that matter, try to do something that might prevent an incident, there are so many of here that want to decry their actions and proffer inane objections for them doing so, They just can't win, can they?

Foreigners will look for any excuse to do as the please. I guess this includes drunk driving, using drugs, no passport no valid visa, drunk in public, dressing like a slob at government offices and in public, walking around in public areas half naked, showing off your young bar girl young enough to be your grand daughter, having sex with underage kids, robbing banks, never bothering to learn the most simple words in Thai like thank you (i guess finger pointing is your language), walking with beer in hand in public before the sun rises, Any more excuses i may have forgotten?

Wow!

You equate an inability to learn a language with robbing banks, underage sex. dressing like a slob(!), passport and visa issues (?) and, the big one, wearing a bikini!

What a mixed up, strange, self appointed morality policeman you are! You'd fit right in in Saudi or Iran or similar.

Wow!

You equate an inability to learn a language with robbing banks, underage sex. dressing like a slob(!), passport and visa issues (?) and, the big one, wearing a bikini!

What a mixed up, strange, self appointed morality policeman you are! You'd fit right in in Saudi or Iran or similar.

Sure, and Petchabun Man paints us all with his one brush. pretty amazed at the prejudice and vitriol this topic has lead to.

As I posted earlier this is just not that big of a deal, I equated it with not wearing a shirt in a restaurant. As I am about to have lunch, do I really need to see your man boobs? No. As women and children were having a day in the park, did they need to see scantily clad foreigners. No.

These foreigners were just unaware that it's not polite to not wear a shirt in a restaurant, I mean, bikini in a Thai family park, lets not all go massive bigotry over a slight misunderstanding, aye?

Wow!

Sure, and Petchabun Man paints us all with his one brush. pretty amazed at the prejudice and vitriol this topic has lead to.

As I posted earlier this is just not that big of a deal, I equated it with not wearing a shirt in a restaurant. As I am about to have lunch, do I really need to see your man boobs? No. As women and children were having a day in the park, did they need to see scantily clad foreigners. No.

These foreigners were just unaware that it's not polite to not wear a shirt in a restaurant, I mean, bikini in a Thai family park, lets not all go massive bigotry over a slight misunderstanding, aye?

Police have no authority to do anything be ause some think it is not polite. Their job is to enforce the law.

Interesting you think the park is that bad that women wearing bikinis in park, during the day, with many people around are a good chance of being raped. And it would be their fault.

I would consider it the fault of the rapists, and the police for not cleaning up the place from gangs and druggies.

Yep wearing a bikini is far more disrespectful than gangs of druggies intent on rape.

I was going to post some pics of women in various states of undress sunbathing in London and NY parks, but the poster who stated he's never seen such a thing, backed off in the same paragraph.

Editing would have given him slightly more credibility.

Wow!

Police have no authority to do anything be ause some think it is not polite. Their job is to enforce the law.

I'll politely disagree. Sometimes the police use their discretion to short circuit what could be a public disturbance.

In a book I am currently reading that has historical facts the police block a fascist march through a Jewish segment of the city. Were the fascists legally allowed to march (?), yes, for the sake of public order and decency police used discretion to shut it down.

It's obtuse to say the police only should enforce law, there is a bigger picture at times Linky.

Reason for edit:

The widely recognized definition of ‘police’ is a body of people who not only are intrinsic in the prevention of crime, but one that protects the health, safety and well being of the community in which they have force.

Wow!

I'll politely disagree. Sometimes the police use their discretion to short circuit what could be a public disturbance.

In a book I am currently reading that has historical facts the police block a fascist march through a Jewish segment of the city. Were the fascists legally allowed to march (?), yes, for the sake of public order and decency police used discretion to shut it down.

It's obtuse to say the police only should enforce law, there is a bigger picture at times Linky.

Indeed there is a bigger picture. Deal with the gangs and druggies there. Im not agreeing to the general's view that its the womans fault for being raped, especially in daylight in a park full of people. Somehow I cannot agree that would be the reason.

It doesn't take long to understand why Thai girls wear jeans and t-shirts while swimming in the sea...

It's called decency and sun protection. As a society we decided long ago to cover our body and move on from sex, hunt, gather to better things

Walking around naked is not what society is about(especially in Thailand). Might be enjoyable for some when the woman is hot but most of the time its downright upsetting because its the ugliest whales that cover the least.

The police are not using the word decency because the western civilization that mostly visits thailand have never heard of that word. Safety makes it easier for them to understand why they cant walk around naked and makes them a bit more scared to act out for attention by being naked in public.

I really don't understand all the fuss some posters make. Sure it's ok to wear bikini etc on the actual beach s this has been accepted by the general Thai public. But in more public areas like a park, then it's a big no no. As for men with no top and riding a m/bike, I have often witnessed police telling them to put on a shirt. As for those that want to walk down the street and into shops scantily clad, I feel the discomfort of the Thais who look on in amazement.

Man I lived in Spain well I was working there and most girls were top less on the beach. My wife had take the daughter to school as sat on the beach. Well this young girl comes down and sits close to me. They have a closer space between people than us. Well she sits down and takes her top of. Ok..then the wife comes back and she sees this and I told her I didn't move..haha after living there I got used to it....in fact in my home country in Ontario it is ok to go top less but it really hasn't caught on yet.

Bikini clad does not mean naked!!! And FYI it's now 2015

This IS Thailand, a modest dressed Buddhist country, NOT a bikini dressed Christian country. You're not often right but your....

Wrong again farang....because,

FYI it's now 2558.

Didn't the Thai girls wore no tops 100 or so years ago and didn't cover up until the missonaries came to Thailand.?

100 years ago women could not vote

100 years ago women were objects

100 years ago kids were beaten and abused as normality

100 years ago the majority of african tribes were mutilating vaginas.

100 years ago you could die from joke diseases.

i really need to go on? we're living today.

Thai's do not want women in public park wearing bikinis, if you're not happy you can chose an other country which is what 100% of those complaining about this article have done. As everyone who actually lives here is somewhat ok with what the policeman has done

Didn't the Thai girls wore no tops 100 or so years ago and didn't cover up until the missonaries came to Thailand.?

Thai's do not want women in public park wearing bikinis, if you're not happy you can chose an other country which is what 100% of those complaining about this article have done. As everyone who actually lives here is somewhat ok with what the policeman has done

I somewhat live here too and I DON'T think it's Ok to shoo off tourists who basks in the sun in bikinis. And for your information, more and more Thai women start using bikinis, not always on the beach and no, all of them aren't some bar girls or prostitutes.

Wasn't the missionaries but their own home grown fascism that's still well and alive today, perpetuated by the same group of people who were in charge back then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

Edit: Mandate 10.

I somewhat live here too and I DON'T think it's Ok to shoo off tourists who basks in the sun in bikinis. And for your information, more and more Thai women start using bikinis, not always on the beach and no, all of them aren't some bar girls or prostitutes.

You don't. You live in Kamala which is on the west coast. Land of tourist, bars, bargirls and taxi drivers.

This is Phuket town. Where normal people live and avoid tourists.

You don't. You live in Kamala which is on the west coast. Land of tourist, bars, bargirls and taxi drivers.

This is Phuket town. Where normal people live and avoid tourists.

I used to live there, some 5 years ago. NOW I live next to Phuket town on the south side not very far from Saphan Hin (pronounced sapan hin). So again your assumptions are wrong.

"Joke' diseases, that's not funny.

I'm a little confused about your post, especially where the word " your" is used. When I used the words " we" and "us", I was metamorphically speaking with my post being directed at those whose attitudes drive them to do exactly what you indicate beside what these three got up to. I hope "your" is used in the same context as the word has different connotations in different contexts. Maybe the word "their" is more suitable as if others read this it may be contrued that it is suggestive of something directed toward myself. Maybe I have misunderstood?

Interesting you think the park is that bad that women wearing bikinis in park, during the day, with many people around are a good chance of being raped. And it would be their fault.

I would consider it the fault of the rapists, and the police for not cleaning up the place from gangs and druggies.

Yep wearing a bikini is far more disrespectful than gangs of druggies intent on rape.

Up to your old tricks again are we Linky. A mind reader, knowing what I think. Reading into a post something that was never thought of or even intimated. Your a wonder. May I suggest you read again what I wrote, comprehend the contents and then tell me in what vain did I refer to it as being a bad park, that women wearing bikinis had a chance of being raped, it would be their fault. I await your non intellectual response with baited breath

I was going to post some pics of women in various states of undress sunbathing in London and NY parks, but the poster who stated he's never seen such a thing, backed off in the same paragraph.

Editing would have given him slightly more credibility.

I would say this is directed at myself so if I say I haven't seen it, then bet that someone else has, I have no credibility. You have just provided it to me by your response that you were going to post some photos. Never backed off anything, just said it the way I saw it. If anyone backed off it's you, going to do something but didn't. I don't need to do any editing, but you might need to to comprehend more clearly what has been written.

Archived