Foreign sunbathers get boot from Phuket park

webfact

It doesn't take long to understand why Thai girls wear jeans and t-shirts while swimming in the sea...

It's called decency and sun protection. As a society we decided long ago to cover our body and move on from sex, hunt, gather to better things

Walking around naked is not what society is about(especially in Thailand). Might be enjoyable for some when the woman is hot but most of the time its downright upsetting because its the ugliest whales that cover the least.

The police are not using the word decency because the western civilization that mostly visits thailand have never heard of that word. Safety makes it easier for them to understand why they cant walk around naked and makes them a bit more scared to act out for attention by being naked in public.

Bikini clad does not mean naked!!! And FYI it's now 2015

This IS Thailand, a modest dressed Buddhist country, NOT a bikini dressed Christian country. You're not often right but your....

Wrong again farang....because,

FYI it's now 2558.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me because my name isn't farang and I'm probably right a lot more often than you are....But I'll respond anyway. Perhaps you need to look around you at the young Buddhist not Christian women and see how immodestly many of them are dressed. Oh and FYI it is also 2015 in this country, at least I think it is because I see it written everywhere.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't take long to understand why Thai girls wear jeans and t-shirts while swimming in the sea...

It's called decency and sun protection. As a society we decided long ago to cover our body and move on from sex, hunt, gather to better things

Walking around naked is not what society is about(especially in Thailand). Might be enjoyable for some when the woman is hot but most of the time its downright upsetting because its the ugliest whales that cover the least.

The police are not using the word decency because the western civilization that mostly visits thailand have never heard of that word. Safety makes it easier for them to understand why they cant walk around naked and makes them a bit more scared to act out for attention by being naked in public.

Absolutely spot on. Is it beyond the comprehension of the average tourist to research local customs and show some respect?

I wish there was some way to educate tourists into dressing more appropriately for their own safety. I've seen too many stories of foreigners being raped because they dressed provocatively and some local half-wit rapes her thinking she is "asking for it". Tourists come to Thailand thinking holiday, bikini, relaxing, drinking, not thinking they are in any danger at all. They need to be told of the societal norms in LOS so they can at least maybe cover up a bit more while in public, not because they should but for their own safety.

I wish there was some way to educate tourists into dressing more appropriately for their own safety. I've seen too many stories of foreigners being raped because they dressed provocatively and some local half-wit rapes her thinking she is "asking for it". Tourists come to Thailand thinking holiday, bikini, relaxing, drinking, not thinking they are in any danger at all. They need to be told of the societal norms in LOS so they can at least maybe cover up a bit more while in public, not because they should but for their own safety.

Yes, I agree with the dress education but one should add being taught how to act when travelling overseas. This only applies to a minority, doesn't it always, a few making it awkward for the majority. Now we have the OZ schoolies travelling to Thailand for the Full Moon Parties and we all kknow what they get up to there. They think they're invincible, like most of us did when we were young. But the world is a'changing at a rapid pace yet the brains of some of these women, and males, are not keeping up.

Walked into my local 7 yesterday and a 20 something Russian lady clearly straight from the beach was waiting in line. Hair was wet, wore a singlet, had removed her bathing suit top underneath the singlet which barely passed the thong bikini bottom she had on.

She might have well been naked.......(GOM's all grrrrr, wow!) but the Thais behind the counter, the two women would not look up and the two guys (one of which had been stocking but came behind the counter to get a view) eyes were wide open as in "unbelievable!"

Do I have a point here............I don't think so...........maybe... that yes, this goes on as mentioned by others on the west coast beaches, but is not proper in some situations here such as a family park.

those of us who are sane should also remember that most people who think this is fine are wearing chang tank tops with tesco army shorts and flip flops everywhere they go, which is again one thing that most Thais hate.

You can't teach basic manners to people who dont respect themselves in public.

Getting pretty silly in the LOS now. Business is down, tourism is down, trade is at risk, and they are worrying about people wearing bathing suits in a hot tropical climate location island surrounded by water. So what is next, can't walk around in a bathing suit? Can't walk around in shorts? Of course even suggesting that being in a bathing suit is unsafe is a bad thing for Public Relations, and worse if it is true or any statistics bear it out.

A country that have to warn their tourist not to sun bathe in a bikini in tourists spots just so the will not ne sexually harassed, has a lot to be answered for and can not

be called a tourists destination... wouldn't be much more prudent to be on a lookout for predators rather

than shoo tourist away and thus giving Thailand a bad name?

What shit.

If tourist are stupid enough to wear skimpy bikiki and things in public parks they are asking for trouble as parks are more a place for Thai families. With children, so they should respect that. Keep it for the beaches. Fair play to the police on this case, he could have just saved them from being raped. Or worse.

Ahhhh, so a girl n a bikini gets raped and its her fault. I get it.

Yeah, hold your logical high ground, then when and if the girl gets raped, you can complain about the mental midgets who would rape a girl just because she was wearing a bikini.

A country that have to warn their tourist not to sun bathe in a bikini in tourists spots just so the will not ne sexually harassed, has a lot to be answered for and can not

be called a tourists destination... wouldn't be much more prudent to be on a lookout for predators rather

What shit.

If tourist are stupid enough to wear skimpy bikiki and things in public parks they are asking for trouble as parks are more a place for Thai families. With children, so they should respect that. Keep it for the beaches. Fair play to the police on this case, he could have just saved them from being raped. Or worse.

Yeah, hold your logical high ground, then when and if the girl gets raped, you can complain about the mental midgets who would rape a girl just because she was wearing a bikini.

I've only heard about women/girls getting raped at Saphan Hin at night, part of the reasons why the city council closed it during nights. Tourists have never(2006-2015) been raped at Saphan Hin at daytime, to my knowledge. Saphan Hin is mostly open space with a few building in the middle and three sides are bordering water, a klongh and the ocean. Not many places to rape unnoticed. There aren't any possibilities to drag or threaten a woman with a gun or knife, unnoticed if they sunbathe close to the water to a more rape convenient spot, especially if there are more than one female tourist.

What shit.

I've only heard about women/girls getting raped at Saphan Hin at night, part of the reasons why the city council closed it during nights. Tourists have never(2006-2015) been raped at Saphan Hin at daytime, to my knowledge. Saphan Hin is mostly open space with a few building in the middle and three sides are bordering water, a klongh and the ocean. Not many places to rape unnoticed. There aren't any possibilities to drag or threaten a woman with a gun or knife, unnoticed if they sunbathe close to the water to a more rape convenient spot, especially if there are more than one female tourist.

"Rape convenient spot" <deleted>!:mellow:

What shit.

"Rape convenient spot" <deleted>!mellow.png

As English isn't my native language, tell me how I can phrase it then.

In the OP and in the PG article they talk about "sexual harassment" no where am I reading anyone was fearing for the sunbathers to get raped. I think some posters have sort of misinterpreted that. Go back to the original post and article, no where is rape mentioned.

Sexual harrassment, sure, guys pulling up and wanting phone numbers, asking them since they are so scantilly clad to come back to their apartment/house, basically the whole scene creating a nuisance in a family picnic atmosphere thus police intervention.

What shit.

"Rape convenient spot" <deleted>!mellow.png

As English isn't my native language, tell me how I can phrase it then.

Sorry mate, didn't realise, I suppose you could say "somewhere secluded where there's a possibility you could be raped"

I think some posters are going to disagree with MY English!!!

In the OP and in the PG article they talk about "sexual harassment" no where am I reading anyone was fearing for the sunbathers to get raped. I think some posters have sort of misinterpreted that. Go back to the original post and article, no where is rape mentioned.

Sexual harrassment, sure, guys pulling up and wanting phone numbers, asking them since they are so scantilly clad to come back to their apartment/house, basically the whole scene creating a nuisance in a family picnic atmosphere thus police intervention.

In other words, tourist in bikinis outside of the beach turn thai men into your average single farang tourist.

In other words, tourist in bikinis outside of the beach turn thai men into your average single farang tourist.

As Saphan Hin is a "beach" although, I wouldn't go there for a swim in the ocean, it's quite possible to do so.

I don't see the fuss.

In Nai harn, just behind the beach, between the "lake" and the ocean, Thai families also go for picnics and leisure time. They don't seem concerned at all of the scantily clad people walking all around the area, so I really don't see the HUGE outcry from people about Saphan Hin and bikini dressed tourists. The men in Phuket town also visits Nai Harn with their families when they have their day off, not only Saphan Hin.

This discussion have blown out of proportion, there will be Thai people on any beach who will protest about how tourists dress, not the first time a Thai girl or farang wear bikinis or "speedos" in Saphan Hin and it won't be the last.

I have seen Thai men pulling up next to tourists on the west coast beaches asking for phone numbers or more, Kata, Karon, Patong, Kamala, Surin or Bang Tao but never in Nai Harn, Saphan Hin, Ao poh, Nai thorn or Layan beach.

I used to go to the beach a lot more in earlier years, not so much anymore and I'm pretty sure it have happened in the places I mentioned I haven't seen it, but I'm also pretty sure the normal Thai guy would never approach a tourist even if he would get excited by bikini dressed women, Thai or tourist.

The biggest problem isn't the Thai local men or boys, it's their jealous Thai women, but I agree, there's two groups of people, if I may bunch them together as two groups, of men coming from all around Thailand and Myanmar who don't stand a chance to get laid, no money, too "tanned" and most of them not attractive in women eyes, They must have a really hard time watching all those gorgeous women walking around showing a lot of skin, but I think they are more prone to rape or harass a Thai karaoke bar girl or some woman walking the streets alone at night, not some tourist woman in Saphan Hin at daytime, night time was a different matter, but then again, all beaches shouldn't be visited at night anywhere for anyone in Thailand (of course not for those with lights and other people being there) and then there's the druggies who some don't even care if they kill or/and rape one of their own family members. Those guys are everywhere, not just Saphan Hin, everywhere, they are mobile and dangerous, not just for tourists, for everyone.

those of us who are sane should also remember that most people who think this is fine are wearing chang tank tops with tesco army shorts and flip flops everywhere they go, which is again one thing that most Thais hate.

Perhaps you should have chosen to live in a less threatening place for you.

"which is again one thing that most Thais hate" - let's be honest, if we all cared about what "most Thai's hate" we would all have to leave Thailand. biggrin.png

"which is again one thing that most Thais hate" - let's be honest, if we all cared about what "most Thai's hate" we would all have to leave Thailand. biggrin.png

Seems obvious this is not about what most thais hate. More of farangs thinking themselves so much more important than others

this response might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard!

The scariest thing is the 10 posters who `liked` the post.

Here's a recent article in the PG on Saphan Hin.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Saphan-Hin-curfew-starts-Monday/62356

It's appears some "normal Thai's" have been creating some problems there at night. cheesy.gif

Brilliant.Does this mean that the fully clothed Thai`s from Saphan Hin are not as squeeky clean as the `half naked` farang who broke no laws.

You couldn`t make it up.Well a certain Arctic ursine could.

Are you related to the PM?Are you the the PM?

Walked into my local 7 yesterday and a 20 something Russian lady clearly straight from the beach was waiting in line. Hair was wet, wore a singlet, had removed her bathing suit top underneath the singlet which barely passed the thong bikini bottom she had on.

She might have well been naked.......(GOM's all grrrrr, wow!) but the Thais behind the counter, the two women would not look up and the two guys (one of which had been stocking but came behind the counter to get a view) eyes were wide open as in "unbelievable!"

Do I have a point here............I don't think so...........maybe... that yes, this goes on as mentioned by others on the west coast beaches, but is not proper in some situations here such as a family park.

Ah,the same family park that becomes a hotbed of drugs,assaults,violence at night and not a policeman to be found.

To be fair, you probably didn't understand my post. I'm not saying it is what I think women should do, I am saying for their own safety, considering how backward and misogynistic the male attitude is in Thailand, women should be educated on what they are risking here by dressing provocatively and they would be well advised to cover up to prevent being attacked. I've heard a lot of foreigners say that western women dress like whores...there are a lot of men from very conservative cultures that aren't used to seeing women in bikinis or with their ass hanging out etc. and they immediately think the woman is looking for sex. Once again, it isn't a problem for me because i come from a western country, I'm thinking of the safety of the women and a do think a lot of female tourists are completely oblivious to the danger.

I remember a very sad incident a few years ago, a young Swedish lady was sunbathing topless on a remote beach in Phuket, a Thai man spotted her, raped and killed her. She was very young, 18 or 19 I think, tragic. I would bet that nobody warned her that it was very dangerous to sunbath nude in Thailand.

if we had the same underpaid police in the west, a lot of women dressed in very whorish attires would get raped. The only reason that its not as common is that a lot of the creeps know that the police is actually effective in their country.

arguably its not their fault if they get raped, but its their fault that they did not use common sense and realise we dont live in paradise where everyone is sane and loving.

Just like sitting down on a public toilet, if you get herpes its not your fault, you didnt ask for it but you could of used some goddamn common sense and realize a lot of dirty people will use that toilet seat with no regards to anyone else.

To be fair, you probably didn't understand my post. I'm not saying it is what I think women should do, I am saying for their own safety, considering how backward and misogynistic the male attitude is in Thailand, women should be educated on what they are risking here by dressing provocatively and they would be well advised to cover up to prevent being attacked. I've heard a lot of foreigners say that western women dress like whores...there are a lot of men from very conservative cultures that aren't used to seeing women in bikinis or with their ass hanging out etc. and they immediately think the woman is looking for sex. Once again, it isn't a problem for me because i come from a western country, I'm thinking of the safety of the women and a do think a lot of female tourists are completely oblivious to the danger.

I remember a very sad incident a few years ago, a young Swedish lady was sunbathing topless on a remote beach in Phuket, a Thai man spotted her, raped and killed her. She was very young, 18 or 19 I think, tragic. I would bet that nobody warned her that it was very dangerous to sunbath nude in Thailand.

If you mean the woman at Mai Kao beach by the name of Hanna, Very sad incident indeed but the woman was not 18 or 19, she was 26 years old and she wasn't sunbathing topless.

She took her book and went out before 8 in the morning to sit and read it in peace and quiet while waiting for her friend to wake up when this man spotted her ALONE and tried to rape her, she fought back so he killed her.

She had her sarong around her and didn't show more skin than any other banock (urban) Thai woman do and DIDN'T get raped but the intention from the man was.

This guy had a history by his coworkers to hang around Mai Kao beach too look at western women.

Please check your facts before posting untrue rumours.

if we had the same underpaid police in the west, a lot of women dressed in very whorish attires would get raped. The only reason that its not as common is that a lot of the creeps know that the police is actually effective in their country.

arguably its not their fault if they get raped, but its their fault that they did not use common sense and realise we dont live in paradise where everyone is sane and loving.

Just like sitting down on a public toilet, if you get herpes its not your fault, you didnt ask for it but you could of used some goddamn common sense and realize a lot of dirty people will use that toilet seat with no regards to anyone else.

IF and that's a big IF catching herpes in a public toilet.

Read this article and next time, try another analogie. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/genital-herpes/expert-answers/genital-herpes/faq-20058506

Rapes here in Thailand has nothing to do with police is underpaid or effective, it has everything to do with the male macho culture.

If you mean the woman at Mai Kao beach by the name of Hanna, Very sad incident indeed but the woman was not 18 or 19, she was 26 years old and she wasn't sunbathing topless.

She took her book and went out before 8 in the morning to sit and read it in peace and quiet while waiting for her friend to wake up when this man spotted her ALONE and tried to rape her, she fought back so he killed her.

She had her sarong around her and didn't show more skin than any other banock (urban) Thai woman do and DIDN'T get raped but the intention from the man was.

This guy had a history by his coworkers to hang around Mai Kao beach too look at western women.

Please check your facts before posting untrue rumours.

Thanks for the correction. I must have Hannah mixed up with another story. This happened a few years ago so I probably have the 2 stories mixed up. It doesn't change anything I said though.

Archived