Thailand aims to lower road fatality rates by 80%

webfact

Thailand aims to lower road fatality rates by 80%

110-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The determination was announced after the department joined other relevant private sector’s networks yesterday in a campaign to reduce traffic fatality rates.

It determined to lower by 80% in five years, although the World Health Organisation (WHO) requires member states to lower fatality rates by half under the “Brasilia Declaration on Road Safety.”

Thailand ranked the second highest road fatality rate in the world after Libya.

According to WHO’s 2015 Global Status Report on Road Safety, a total of 14,059 were killed on Thai roads and highways in 2012, translating to a road death rate of 36.2 people per 100,000, a rate only surpassed by war-torn Libya, where 73.4 people per 100,000 died that same year.

The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said although Thailand came second in highest road fatality rates, but in term of motorcycle fatality rates, Thailand was on the top in the world.

It said motorcycle death rate in Thailand is 26.3 people per 100,000, causing over 200 billion baht damages in term of economy.

It said although Thailand has entered the fifth year after the United Nations has announced the UN Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020, the country still saw no improvement in road fatalities.

For the remaining five years, Thailand will seriously and strictly enforce the laws to achieve the 80% target as now that the road fatality issue was placed as a national agenda and law enforcement will be tightened.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-aims-to-lower-road-fatality-rates-by-80

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-27

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good move if the Authorities are genuine and not simply offering a 'sound bite'....

Improvements need to be realised at a 'cultural' level... the majority of road users need to be taught and understand consequence, which for the moment appears to be an alien concept.

A great start would be to have Televised Road Safety campaigns... When I see the Authorities using Televised Road Safety Campaigns we may then start to believe they are serious about this issue and not simply nodding to each other going through the motions in endless committee meetings...

"a total of 14,059 were killed on Thai roads and highways in 2012, translating to a road death rate of 36.2 people per 100,000, a rate only surpassed by war-torn Libya, where 73.4 people per 100,000 died that same year"

If my suspicion that Libyan road deaths were due to bombs and bullets, dodging bombs or bullets, or driving into bomb craters, then Thailand tops the list for worst road death toll.

Zero tolerance and harsh punishments such as immediate impounding for speeding. A special force dedicated to road rule enforcement would pay for itself.

In conjunction with that, instead of several hours of "culture" at every school, a couple of hours of driving home the road safety message would be a good start.

Then tackle the karma/bad luck myth. Get all the wats to preach road safety and dispel the "If my karma is good, I can speed through a stop sign" myth. This sermon does not have to run counter to the normal teachings if it is seen as "Don't tempt fate".

THEN, of course, have a serious crackdown on unlisenced drivers, and a serious approach to new licenses with a comprehensive test on road rules.

In my city, it seems as if 90% of drivers do not know what a stop sign is for. As a result, the through traffic stops out of caution, because nobody stops for the stop sign!

Just start with first knowing about the Highway Code, and then Enforcing it.

We can see law breaking with impunity by motorcyclists every day, and nothing is done to enforce discipline.

Lawlessness is the cause of the high fatality on the roads.

" Seriously and strictly enforce the laws to achieve the 80% now that the road facility issue was a national agenda... "

So if not a national agenda item serious and strict enforcement wouldn't be applied ?

Anyway since it's now of national importance who is going to be doing all this enforcement and please don't say the BIB .

Zero tolerance and harsh punishments such as immediate impounding for speeding. A special force dedicated to road rule enforcement would pay for itself.

In conjunction with that, instead of several hours of "culture" at every school, a couple of hours of driving home the road safety message would be a good start.

Then tackle the karma/bad luck myth. Get all the wats to preach road safety and dispel the "If my karma is good, I can speed through a stop sign" myth. This sermon does not have to run counter to the normal teachings if it is seen as "Don't tempt fate".

THEN, of course, have a serious crackdown on unlisenced drivers, and a serious approach to new licenses with a comprehensive test on road rules.

In my city, it seems as if 90% of drivers do not know what a stop sign is for. As a result, the through traffic stops out of caution, because nobody stops for the stop sign!

Don't forget the "face factor", I have Fortuner you have 10 year old Mazda, get out of my way.

It will have to start with a reform of the police.

In my province the only traffic stops you see are to get 200 baht from motorcyclists without helmets--between 11am and 3pm, weekdays only.

No other cops can be seen anywhere else.

Meanwhile, drivers of cars, buses, and trucks break all the other laws with absolute impunity.

I don't want to sound cynical, but in the years I've lived here I've lost count how many times I've read 'proclamations' like this and nothing ever changes.

The usual pattern is a few new laws will be announced, lots of fanfare then on to the next sound bite du jour.

I've also given up counting how many threads we have had on TVF, decrying, critiquing, haranguing, proffering advice, the list goes on and on.

I've said this before, but what the Hell...just enforce a few laws:

Helmets,

Lights,

Drive on the correct side of the road (at ALL times, even if it takes longer to get to your destination)

But history teaches me, that in 5 months, 1 year, 5 years we will be having the same discussion again, and again, and again

1/ Random drug testing for heavy haul vehicle/ public transport drivers as well as medical examinations. Major consequences for driving while impaired.

2/ Speed governors on the vehicles for these drivers.

3/ Punishments befitting the infractions for the drivers and company.

4/ Specialized training for these drivers with the company responsible for refresher courses.

5/ Vehicle safety checks on a regular basis as well as emission tests for obviously mistuned engines.

6/ Increase penalties for hit and run to significant jail time.

These steps would help but Thailands work is definitely cut out for them.

LOL I remember years ago when Thaksin threatened the police if they didn't reduce Songkran accident rate. In Sakeo province a pickup rolled over killing 6 I believe but it was reported that the police listed the deaths from a lightning strike.

See move along no road accidents here just lots of lightning.

I don't want to sound cynical, but in the years I've lived here I've lost count how many times I've read 'proclamations' like this and nothing ever changes.

The usual pattern is a few new laws will be announced, lots of fanfare then on to the next sound bite du jour.

I've also given up counting how many threads we have had on TVF, decrying, critiquing, haranguing, proffering advice, the list goes on and on.

I've said this before, but what the Hell...just enforce a few laws:

Helmets,

Lights,

Drive on the correct side of the road (at ALL times, even if it takes longer to get to your destination)

But history teaches me, that in 5 months, 1 year, 5 years we will be having the same discussion again, and again, and again

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

YES. No new laws needed. Just enforcement of common sense laws.

"Common Sense" does seem to be the most uncommon kind though.

I imagine strategically place wire across certain intersections across the country will do the trick.

it assumes only 80 % of accidents due to motorbikes but is probably correct.

helmets for bikers does not work. - clarify does not work in thailand.

Perhaps if those traffic police were issued with rocket launchers things would improve

Driving in Thailand is like the old Frogger video game, duck, avoid and move forward. The average Thai driver is actually great, but the 10% morons that in any other country would never get a driving licence will get it here with ease. its this group of complete idiots that make the roads so dangerous.

Also, where and how are bus and truck drivers recruited in this country? Many seem to have absolutely zero driving skills.

Don't forget the "face factor", I have Fortuner you have 10 year old Mazda, get out of my way.

True. I had forgotten.

Then there's courtesy. I have a feeling it's tied in with face. "If I give way to you or let you go first, am I humbling myself to you, a stranger?" I'd better not risk it, so I won't let you in.

14,059 fatalities ??

20,000+ fatalities "was" the statistic. So how and why has this been reduced by 30% ?

This 14,059 is a conveniently adjusted number.

An 80% reduction to be achieved. How is this possible ?

They've given you a clue by adjusting the figures already.....................wink.png

Unless the people doing the actual policing know (and understand) the 'rules of the road', the only way they will ever lower the figures by 80% will be by manipulation of said statistics.

In my province the only traffic stops you see are to get 200 baht from motorcyclists without helmets--between 11am and 3pm, weekdays only.

Meanwhile, drivers of cars, buses, and trucks break all the other laws with absolute impunity.

Before police reform they may need to learn how to count properly so they at least have a reference point.

Before police reform they may need to learn how to count properly so they at least have a reference point.

If there is one thing Thai cops know how to do, it is count.

200 baht here, 100 baht there, OOOOH! 500 baht over THERE!

I had to pay 10,000 baht once for an accident my wife was in, due some psycho motobike guy, in the wrong lane that hit her......she was not at fault. Broke his leg. He had no insurance, no license.

Our insurance paid his hospital bill.

I was nowhere near any of it, yet the cops told her, "You have farang name. All farang have big money. Must pay 10,000 baht or you have big problem".

They KNOW how to count.

Archived