Thailand aims to lower road fatality rates by 80%

webfact

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is one thing Thai cops know how to do, it is count.

200 baht here, 100 baht there, OOOOH! 500 baht over THERE!

I had to pay 10,000 baht once for an accident my wife was in, due some psycho motobike guy, in the wrong lane that hit her......she was not at fault. Broke his leg. He had no insurance, no license.

Our insurance paid his hospital bill.

I was nowhere near any of it, yet the cops told her, "You have farang name. All farang have big money. Must pay 10,000 baht or you have big problem".

They KNOW how to count.

If something like this happens, just let your wife get pick up by EMT and rushed to the hospital. Next day, spend 10,000 THB on a lawyer and let him walk with or without her to the police station. Problem solved.

This is not about traffic, it's about Thai mentality and total lack of respect for human lives and social awareness. Ambulances stuck in traffic, because nobody wants to move or just sit like a zombie and ignore the sirens. Red light? That's only for decoration, changing lanes? What lanes, I need to go right/left and I don't care, etc. etc. etc. and in the meantime the cops are collecting their tea money..........

Driving in Thailand is like the old Frogger video game, duck, avoid and move forward. The average Thai driver is actually great, but the 10% morons that in any other country would never get a driving licence will get it here with ease. its this group of complete idiots that make the roads so dangerous.

Also, where and how are bus and truck drivers recruited in this country? Many seem to have absolutely zero driving skills.

sorry, I disagree with you - maybe 10% of the drivers drive well, the rest are lost in space. And Thailand probably doesn't have the stats on it, but I would imagine that 10% of the drivers out there don't have a license at all. That's talking about cars, for motorbikes, well, ....

So that is the other thing, motorbike drivers never learn how to drive. They start out young and drive however they want which is why if I am at a stop sign and a Thai on a motorbike comes from the left, and makes a right turn, then he/she will pass my car on the left. Thai motorbike drivers think that is good driving.

14,059 fatalities ??

20,000+ fatalities "was" the statistic. So how and why has this been reduced by 30% ?

This 14,059 is a conveniently adjusted number.

An 80% reduction to be achieved. How is this possible ?

My understanding is that the 14,059 fatalities is number of people who died at the hospital. The unaccounted 6,000 plus are those who died on site so to speak. The guy could have had a heart attack and drove his car into the cement post. You never know!! Come on guys let's think out side the box and get with the Thai logic.

14,059 fatalities ??

20,000+ fatalities "was" the statistic. So how and why has this been reduced by 30% ?

My understanding is that the 14,059 fatalities is number of people who died at the hospital. The unaccounted 6,000 plus are those who died on site so to speak. The guy could have had a heart attack and drove his car into the cement post. You never know!! Come on guys let's think out side the box and get with the Thai logic.

Think you might have that arse about face, 14,000+ dead at the scene, those who die later don't appear as road deaths.

For the remaining five years, Thailand will seriously and strictly enforce the laws to achieve the 80% target as now that the road fatality issue was placed as a national agenda and law enforcement will be tightened.

This is an absolutely prime example of policy, without anything to back it up. No real intentions. No motivation, no volition, no budget, no planning, no real action of any sort will take place. These fools who keep making these proclamations, are just that. Fools. Traffic safety has been at the very bottom of the list of priorities for decades now, in the LOS. Another man was mowed down in Samui last night, by a young Thai kid on a motorbike, doing nearly 100km, through the heart of bangrak. Do the police do anything? Anything at all? Ever? No. All talk and no action makes the little man a very dull boy. Man up. Do something, besides issuing empty proclamations. It kind of makes you out to be a Donald Trump type. Nothing but hot air and hyperbole.

​How do you lower traffic fatalities without completely revamping the RTP? Without giving them a multi billion dollar budget? Without making huge changes in the ineffective laws regarding traffic safety. What foolishness. What a crock. A lot of us would love to see traffic safety improve here. Part of the issue is a lack of training and skill on the part of many drivers. But an even bigger part is the absolute lack of deterrent. I see people doing 150-180 kph on the national highways. I have never seen anyone pulled over for speeding or reckless driving. Never. Where do you start to reduce fatalities without getting the police involved? Answer that one, Mr. Public Safety Minister. To just jabber, and do absolutely nothing is inexcusable. Do something, for God's sake. Do something. Shut up, and do something. Stop yakking and take action. That is what real men do. Only fools spend their days mired in indifference and inaction.

14,059 fatalities ??

Think you might have that arse about face, 14,000+ dead at the scene, those who die later don't appear as road deaths.

That I might ,,,lol.

The reason is mostly because Thai will not wait 1 second for anything and are the most impatient people I have even seen

and I have been to 83 countries!

I drove 365 Ks each way every month for 5 years Issan - BKK - Issan and was lucky not to have been involved in an accident.

Because I learnt to know what the cretins do.

Not just on the roads but they try to push in to get served first and even a small thing in an elevator ( lift ) they always press the Close Doors button!

Boy Racers of all ages totally brainless.

Buses and Vans are driven by guys who are half asleep and tanked up with that shit Redbull or whatever.

To stop the carnage you have to get the 'Boys' of all ages to grow up!

But that isn't going to happen……..not in Thailand!

In Issan there is no thought of not Drinking and Driving….none at all.

People drunk at 8am taking the kids to school!

Driving in Thailand is like the old Frogger video game, duck, avoid and move forward. The average Thai driver is actually great, but the 10% morons that in any other country would never get a driving licence will get it here with ease. its this group of complete idiots that make the roads so dangerous.

Also, where and how are bus and truck drivers recruited in this country? Many seem to have absolutely zero driving skills.

sorry, I disagree with you - maybe 10% of the drivers drive well, the rest are lost in space. And Thailand probably doesn't have the stats on it, but I would imagine that 10% of the drivers out there don't have a license at all. That's talking about cars, for motorbikes, well, ....

So that is the other thing, motorbike drivers never learn how to drive. They start out young and drive however they want which is why if I am at a stop sign and a Thai on a motorbike comes from the left, and makes a right turn, then he/she will pass my car on the left. Thai motorbike drivers think that is good driving.

Yep - it's the 'Shortest distance between two points' rule of the road !

14,059 fatalities ??

I suggest you re-read some articles on Thai traffic statistics and get the facts straightened out, then move on to the "Thai logic".

Last Sunday was the World Day of Remembrance for Victims of Road Traffic Accidents, which falls on the third Sunday of November each year. You'd have thought the anonymous journalist who wrote the article might have mentioned that considering the timing of the story.

This has to be one of Tommy Coopers jokes,first the police sit out side every school and just see how many got helmets on,second see if they have a licence i can tell you now none,and why because stupid thai parents cannot be bothered.

school children are to young to have a license and the police do not worry about them as they do not have any money . what's the point of stopping someone if they can not pay the fine, it is just a waste of time and energy

I cant see any reduction happening, The excuse they have for a police force at the moment are definitely not in the biz of law enforcement, just in one short journey here in bkk i dont have enough fingers to count the amount of red light runners, and that only at 2 intersections not even rush hour,

I see not only private cars but mostly busses and taxis driving around with an indicator on...might be the left one but still they drive like maniacs constantly switching lanes or even turning right with the left indicator, some drive around with hazards on...really not sure what that means,

Often i had visitors in the car with me, an oncoming car at a uturn would flash his lights and my passengers says go! its ok...he flashed to let you go, i feel embarrassed explaining that such is the thai culture that infact it means the opposite,

One thing which does impress is the thais ability-willingness to sit in traffic and go nowhere hours on end on a daily basis, i dont have the time let alone will,

How do they propose to get the bib out their aircon boxes with tv in the daytime? only times i see them is under a bridge in the shade for an hour or at night.

Quite simply - no chance ! If anything expect the figures to get worse as more vehicles with inexperienced moronic drivers join the roads everyday. With poor law enforcement and very little respect for the law or police they really have a job on their hands. Best of luck folks !

Archived