Thailand aims to lower road fatality rates by 80%

webfact

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can just see the action plan now.

Stand at strategic points along the roadside and stop as many people as possible not wearing a helmet and impose the fines...

How about,,, real tests, real driving instructors and a real process for learning, zero tolerance on drunk driving, no insurance, reckless driving, speeding, undertaking, not indicating, tailgating, running red lights.

Confiscate vehicles not roadworthy or if person has no licence,,,, the list goes on and on...

Seen this before, nothing will change without real action plans and reforms.

It might be noted that there are a fair amount of "Farangs" that like to ride around on their motorbikes here in Thailand also,... without helmets. I have written a few times that I live in Bang Saray and have gotten so tired of motorbikes coming against me going the wrong way on Sukhumvit and especially at night time with no lights (at least 50% with sidecars) that after 14 years of driving in this country I have decided to pack it in and get out while on top. I had one very close call already about 2 years ago (wrote here about it) and it instilled a fear in me how easily things can change in the blink of an eye on these roads. On that occasion the old lady was completely in the wrong, had no helmet, driving licence, or insurance (and God knows what else) yet she tried to extract as much as she could from me....as it turned out I just paid for my own repairs and that was the end of the matter. I informed my Mrs. last night that when I sell my car this time (buyer coming next week) I will not be getting another. I explained it like this.... at present we have a nice house that I have put my stamp on and love being at home in it, I have already made my will leaving all to her. God forbid....if I were to be involved in an accident and there was a loss of another's life, it could easily develop that we could lose all me being a "Farang" (whether I'm in the right or wrong as those of you may know who have been here a while). I would have no problem driving at home but I'v had it with driving in Thailand. I will continue holidaying as usual around this country but by other means of transport. Some may say....that is equally as dangerous, sure, but only to myself, not me being involved with causing the danger. I will continue driving my motorbike and cycling my bike as usual where there is less likelihood of my ending up losing everything.

I simply have had enough with the worry and possible consequences for a "Farang" driving a car over here.

A major reduction in Thailand's road fatalities is not a difficult exercise as all the tools are available and if used and laws correctly enforced figures would tumble dramatically . There , as we all know , lies the problem with law enforcement . Thailand really need a reformation within their police force and raise their credibility. That alone will be virtually impossible because of the rife corruption that is found here and throughout Asia .

The reduction will probably be achieved by the further manipulation of stats and the way they are reported as they are today e.g. with only roadside fatalities included in stats and not including those dying in hospital as the result of road accidents .

Those in power are fully aware of the carnage but until now have chose to ignore it . If the beloved king were able to address the nation on driving / riding education , this would have an impact .

i aim to lower accidents by 100%

I aim to make 10000000% more money

I aim to have everyone be nice 100% of the time

you want to know how i'm going to do it????

i not understand question.....you not know how i know and then u know i know and we know noone knows and then i know ok ok

coffee1.gif

I have read that the traffic death toll in Thailand only includes those who die at the site of the accident.

If you make it onto the meat wagon or get to the hospital before you die, you are not counted.

What is the real toll?

Maybe Thailand can beat out Lybia for first place without road side bombs?

Yeah! Go Thailand! Number one!

You win!

Read the WHO report...it explains how the figures are gathered....and then adjusted for countries that have anomalies.

Lybia's road deaths were higher because of road side bombs.

The deaths in Thailand do not include those who die in hospital

One of the big things that the Government could do, is train the school kids in proper riding skills.

As far as I'm aware they are not included in the stats - where did you see this?

It's an easy, tried and tested fix!

1. Enforce speed limits regularly and everywhere
  2. Remove dangerous intersections such as u-turns on the freeway (duh)
  3. Improve road safety awareness tied to driver's licence, make driver's license more difficult to obtain
  4. Make compulsory road safety awareness seminars followed by a test and reduce the insurance premium for those who attend and pass the test

in other words the 5 Es but you don't think we need all of them?

All of us farang (?) posters know the answers BUT the Thai authorities are not going to read or take note of our comments!

However, TV provides a forum for us to get these "grievances" off our chests when in reality most do doubt that anything meaningful and ongoing will happen (based on history), sadly. coffee1.gif

It will only happen if they start educating the children in the schools. Drive the reduction not only through Government initiatives and also start enforcing current laws.

I don't often enter into derogatory remarks about Thailand but honestly, as we all know road safety and safety attitudes in general here are a joke.

Start with the kids at school, give them cycle helmets, offer them incentives to behave in a safe manner. Inducements through education for seatbelt wearing, make them aware of the dangers of speeding, drink driving. Do the same as we have done in the west.

All of us farang (?) posters know the answers BUT the Thai authorities are not going to read or take note of our comments!

However, TV provides a forum for us to get these "grievances" off our chests when in reality most do doubt that anything meaningful and ongoing will happen (based on history), sadly. coffee1.gif

"All of us farang (?) posters know the answers: - I'd say that the posts on this thread would indicate quite the opposite - just like the Thai authorities their ideas on Road safety are based purely on perception, assumption and a large dash of confirmation bias.

i.e. it becomes a litany of descriptions of anecdotes that simply confirm the posters preconceptions about road safety in Thailand - or rather "driving" as they see it.

.........the plural of anecdote is not data

A major reduction in Thailand's road fatalities is not a difficult exercise as all the tools are available and if used and laws correctly enforced figures would tumble dramatically . There , as we all know , lies the problem with law enforcement . Thailand really need a reformation within their police force and raise their credibility. That alone will be virtually impossible because of the rife corruption that is found here and throughout Asia .

The reduction will probably be achieved by the further manipulation of stats and the way they are reported as they are today e.g. with only roadside fatalities included in stats and not including those dying in hospital as the result of road accidents .

Those in power are fully aware of the carnage but until now have chose to ignore it . If the beloved king were able to address the nation on driving / riding education , this would have an impact .

Not even HM addressing the problem would make one iota of difference as "we" are different and know how to drive/ride and don't need advice from anyone.

• Enforce speed limits regularly and everywhere
  • Remove dangerous intersections such as u-turns on the freeway (duh)
  • Improve road safety awareness tied to driver's licence, make driver's license more difficult to obtain
  • Make compulsory road safety awareness seminars followed by a test and reduce the insurance premium for those who attend and pass the test

Yes, but you can't fix stupid with theory, even if it's forcefully applied and herein lies the major problem of road deaths in Thailand.

• Enforce speed limits regularly and everywhere
  • Remove dangerous intersections such as u-turns on the freeway (duh)
  • Improve road safety awareness tied to driver's licence, make driver's license more difficult to obtain
  • Make compulsory road safety awareness seminars followed by a test and reduce the insurance premium for those who attend and pass the test

Yes, but you can't fix stupid with theory, even if it's forcefully applied and herein lies the major problem of road deaths in Thailand.

As it is already covered by the 5 Es, can you explain your comment?

Driving in Thailand is like the old Frogger video game, duck, avoid and move forward. The average Thai driver is actually great, but the 10% morons that in any other country would never get a driving licence will get it here with ease. its this group of complete idiots that make the roads so dangerous.

Also, where and how are bus and truck drivers recruited in this country? Many seem to have absolutely zero driving skills.

You actually believe they have a licence here?

A good move if the Authorities are genuine and not simply offering a 'sound bite'....

Improvements need to be realised at a 'cultural' level... the majority of road users need to be taught and understand consequence, which for the moment appears to be an alien concept.

A great start would be to have Televised Road Safety campaigns... When I see the Authorities using Televised Road Safety Campaigns we may then start to believe they are serious about this issue and not simply nodding to each other going through the motions in endless committee meetings...

I like your positivity and ideas, but I would go further and make everyone take a proper road test again to international standards. I however just can't see it happening unless they take 80% of cars off the road to get 80% less fatalities. Which is hardly likely.

This surely is a joke. Eighty percent reduction on road fatalities? The authorities would need to massively increase traffic police, increase fines, introduce moving violations, introduce serious jail times for offenders, reeducate the masses on traffic behaviour. Sorry; when pigs fly then it might, just might happen. Thai drivers are the most inconsiderate, stupid drivers in the world. They're all mad.

In my city, it seems as if 90% of drivers do not know what a stop sign is for. As a result, the through traffic stops out of caution, because nobody stops for the stop sign!

You must be in Chiang Mai. One of the busier intersections is outside MAYA mall.

At almost any time of the day, 3 cars run through the red light at each change.

All it takes is one policeman with a video camera, and even if it's empty, they might worry! But a few hefty fines would help too.

Three? And the rest. Also, at that intersection I saw three young boys (obviously too young to have a licence); wearing no helmets; riding through the red light ... right past a policeman on duty at the intersection who didn't care. (I use the word "duty" very loosely.)

Yesterday, at the big intersection a couple of kilometres northeast of Maya, a steam of cars continued through the red light until the counter showed that my green light only had 15 seconds remaining!

And today, yet another ambulance with sirens blazing an d no-one getting out of the way. Stupid selfish bastards!

Never give way when they are supposed to, yet they will not proceed when they have right of way (they are on my left, I have stopped for them at a stop sign, at a T-intersection.) I guess they are too afraid to go because they are not using to people stopping at that stop sign. And today, the bike in front of me stopped in the middle of a roundabout to give way to to a vehicle approaching the roundabout. What a contrary lot!

A good start would be to get the traffic police out of their little boxes where they play with the traffic lights, leave it to the automated systems, and start to enforce the law. Pay them a living wage and sack them if they continue to take their 200 baht bribes.

Another would be to educate drivers that getting their car blessed by a monk will do nothing to prevent their having an accident; in fact it probably increases the risk as they then consider themselves invulnerable.

Yet another would be to arrest kids driving motorcycles and fine the parents, with the ultimate sanction being confiscation of the bike.

Until traffic law is enforced with severe penalties nothing will change.

In my city, it seems as if 90% of drivers do not know what a stop sign is for. As a result, the through traffic stops out of caution, because nobody stops for the stop sign!

You must be in Chiang Mai. One of the busier intersections is outside MAYA mall.

At almost any time of the day, 3 cars run through the red light at each change.

All it takes is one policeman with a video camera, and even if it's empty, they might worry! But a few hefty fines would help too.

Three? And the rest. Also, at that intersection I saw three young boys (obviously too young to have a licence); wearing no helmets; riding through the red light ... right past a policeman on duty at the intersection who didn't care. (I use the word "duty" very loosely.)

Yesterday, at the big intersection a couple of kilometres northeast of Maya, a steam of cars continued through the red light until the counter showed that my green light only had 15 seconds remaining!

And today, yet another ambulance with sirens blazing an d no-one getting out of the way. Stupid selfish bastards!

Never give way when they are supposed to, yet they will not proceed when they have right of way (they are on my left, I have stopped for them at a stop sign, at a T-intersection.) I guess they are too afraid to go because they are not using to people stopping at that stop sign. And today, the bike in front of me stopped in the middle of a roundabout to give way to to a vehicle approaching the roundabout. What a contrary lot!

"traffic laws are only suggestions" a Thai friend once told me.

Just the other day, I was in a retail outlet that I go into on a fairly regular basis.

The owner of the business is a well spoken, and well educated Thai man of about 40 years of age.

The owner and I, frequently talk, and on this day, an Ambulance raced past the shop on blues and twos. I made a comment to the owner about the appalling statistics on death rates in Thailand due to RTA,s.

His reply to my comment, was to state that although there were a huge number of deaths on the roads, the Thai people had what he called " freedom ". ( I guess from enforcable laws Etc )

So I can only suremise from a statement of that kind, that the Thai people would not like for their " freedom " to be taken from them, and the death toll is a perfectly acceptable price to pay.

This kind of logic is well beyond my comprehension.

As usual no strategy to achieve the goal...just wishful thinking and a hope that everyone will forget it in a couple of months. The only different thing about this is that they have not announced that hundreds of new committees will be set up to investigate the problem. Sorry to be cynical, I'm just tired of these blatant attempts to get press coverage and appear that something/anything is happening anywhere in Thailand which will reflect positively on the ruling junta.

Archived