Or

If someone close to you is having problems with their drinking

Alcoholics Anonymous is having an:

Open Alcoholics Anonymous Public Information Meeting

At S15 Sukhumvit Hotel

217 Sukhumvit 15, Bangkok

On

Saturday 19th of December 2015 at 7pm.

Come and find out how Alcoholics Anonymous can help.

Speakers will share their experience of drinking and how A.A. has helped them to stop.

Information on meetings in Bangkok and on how A.A. works will be given on the night.

You are not alone.

I think it would be prudent to point out that there are open meetings every week (every day?) in Bangkok. No need to wait for December 19. Come any time you're ready...

http://www.aathailand.org/

FYI

Attendance at closed meetings is limited to people who have a desire to stop drinking. That means you don't have to be a member, or know any secret handshake to get in. You just gotta wanna stop drinking (or stay stopped)

Open meetings are for anyone interested in AA and the recovery process. That includes families of alkies, the press, the curious (you know who you are)- anyone.

It's extremely informal, it's free, and it saves millions of lives, countless families (and lots of people's jobs) every year around the world.

1. Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

Most of us in A.A. made all kinds of promises to ourselves and to our families. We could not keep them. Then we came to A.A. A.A. said: "Just try not to drink today." (If you do not drink today, you cannot get drunk today.)

2. Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?

In A.A. we do not tell anyone to do anything. We just talk about our own drinking, the trouble we got into, and how we stopped. We will be glad to help you, if you want us to.

3. Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?

We tried all kinds of ways. We made our drinks weak. Or just drank beer. Or we did not drink cocktails. Or only drank on weekends. You name it, we tried it. But if we drank anything with alcohol in it, we usually got drunk eventually.

4. Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?

Do you need a drink to get started, or to stop shaking? This is a pretty sure sign that you are not drinking "socially."

5. Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?

At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most people, who really can take it or leave it.

6. Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?

Be honest! Doctors say that if you have a problem with alcohol and keep on drinking, it will get worse -- never better. Eventually, you will die, or end up in an institution for the rest of your life. The only hope is to stop drinking.

7. Has your drinking caused trouble at home?

Before we came into A.A., most of us said that it was the people or problems at home that made us drink. We could not see that our drinking just made everything worse. It never solved problems anywhere or anytime.

8. Do you ever try to get "extra" drinks at a party because you do not get enough?

Most of us used to have a "few" before we started out if we thought it was going to be that kind of party. And if drinks were not served fast enough, we would go someplace else to get more.

9. Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?

Many of us kidded ourselves into thinking that we drank because we wanted to. After we came into A.A., we found out that once we started to drink, we couldn't stop.

10. Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?

Many of us admit now that we "called in sick" lots of times when the truth was that we were hung-over or on a drunk.

11. Do you have "blackouts"?

A "blackout" is when we have been drinking hours or days which we cannot remember. When we came to A.A., we found out that this is a pretty sure sign of alcoholic drinking.

12. Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?

Many of us started to drink because drinking made life seem better, at least for a while. By the time we got into A.A., we felt trapped. We were drinking to live and living to drink. We were sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Did you answer YES four or more times? If so, you are probably in trouble with alcohol. Why do we say this? Because thousands of people in A.A. have said so for many years. They found out the truth about themselves — the hard way. But again, only you can decide whether you think A.A. is for you. Try to keep an open mind on the subject. If the answer is YES, we will be glad to show you how we stopped drinking ourselves

1. Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

Most of us in A.A. made all kinds of promises to ourselves and to our families. We could not keep them. Then we came to A.A. A.A. said: "Just try not to drink today." (If you do not drink today, you cannot get drunk today.)

2. Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?

In A.A. we do not tell anyone to do anything. We just talk about our own drinking, the trouble we got into, and how we stopped. We will be glad to help you, if you want us to.

3. Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?

We tried all kinds of ways. We made our drinks weak. Or just drank beer. Or we did not drink cocktails. Or only drank on weekends. You name it, we tried it. But if we drank anything with alcohol in it, we usually got drunk eventually.

Do you need a drink to get started, or to stop shaking? This is a pretty sure sign that you are not drinking "socially."

At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most people, who really can take it or leave it.

Be honest! Doctors say that if you have a problem with alcohol and keep on drinking, it will get worse -- never better. Eventually, you will die, or end up in an institution for the rest of your life. The only hope is to stop drinking.

Before we came into A.A., most of us said that it was the people or problems at home that made us drink. We could not see that our drinking just made everything worse. It never solved problems anywhere or anytime.

8. Do you ever try to get "extra" drinks at a party because you do not get enough?

Most of us used to have a "few" before we started out if we thought it was going to be that kind of party. And if drinks were not served fast enough, we would go someplace else to get more.

9. Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?

Many of us kidded ourselves into thinking that we drank because we wanted to. After we came into A.A., we found out that once we started to drink, we couldn't stop.

Many of us admit now that we "called in sick" lots of times when the truth was that we were hung-over or on a drunk.

A "blackout" is when we have been drinking hours or days which we cannot remember. When we came to A.A., we found out that this is a pretty sure sign of alcoholic drinking.

Many of us started to drink because drinking made life seem better, at least for a while. By the time we got into A.A., we felt trapped. We were drinking to live and living to drink. We were sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Did you answer YES four or more times? If so, you are probably in trouble with alcohol. Why do we say this? Because thousands of people in A.A. have said so for many years. They found out the truth about themselves — the hard way. But again, only you can decide whether you think A.A. is for you. Try to keep an open mind on the subject. If the answer is YES, we will be glad to show you how we stopped drinking ourselves

I read those questions when I first joined AA.

Its the only thing I have ever got 100% in.

John Hopkins Hospital had a pamphlet out with 20 questions and if you answered yes to 3 they said you were probably alcoholic.

The one question I did not like was the one about trying to quit. I did quit for four months once. Not a problem no big deal.

I how ever had no intention of never drinking again. That made it much easier. The way I felt physically was a big help also. The day came in a social situation where some friends and the wife and I went to a bar. Because I had no intention of quitting to begin with I had a beer. When the bar closed I was asking if any of my friends had any thing at home.

Months later I found myself in far worse condition unemployable violently sick and determined to never drink again as long as I live. That very night through other people I found my self In an AA meeting where they gave me the secret. Don't take the first drink or in my case some other things. They told me they had a program that would help me change my life if I wanted to and best of all as obviously sick as I was with the violent shaking and what not told me to keep coming back.The last bar I had been in I was being friendly and not obnoxious and they had thrown me out. Here I was with a bunch of people telling me to keep coming back.

This is for me and no one else unless they so chose but making a commitment to life free of the chemicals was far superior to what the results of not making that commitment was. For me time is not the issue it is a NOW thing. It will end when they pat me in the face with a shovel.

When I walked out of my 1st meeting the members were saying "Keep coming back it gets better"

The members all wanted to shake my hand and meet me.

My last few years of drinking there wernt many people asking me to come back or wanting to shake my hand, so

I continued to come back and what I found was it was getting better "One day at a time"

I will never forget my first meeting but more important I will never forget where my last drink took me.coffee1.gif

Just a reminder that this meeting is Saturday week

This is not a regular A.A. Open Meeting, but a once off "Information Meeting" hosted by the "Lost & Found" Bangkok Group to inform the public about what Alcoholics Anonymous is, and if it can help you if you think you have a problem with your drinking.

If you want to attend a regular A.A. meeting you will find information on meeting locations on the Thailand A.A. website http://www.aathailand.org/.

If you are not sure if you have a problem choose an Open Meeting which has no requirement for attendance

Just a reminder that this meeting is Saturday week

This is not a regular A.A. Open Meeting, but a once off "Information Meeting" hosted by the "Lost & Found" Bangkok Group to inform the public about what Alcoholics Anonymous is, and if it can help you if you think you have a problem with your drinking.

If you want to attend a regular A.A. meeting you will find information on meeting locations on the Thailand A.A. website http://www.aathailand.org/.

If you are not sure if you have a problem choose an Open Meeting which has no requirement for attendance

In Australia they are know as Public Awareness meetings. They are a great avenue to reach the sick alcoholic and their family.

I took a guy to his first AA meeting at one of these public awareness meetings, he is still a sober member of AA today 33 years later. Yes AA does work for the alcoholic.

I wish you well with the "Information meeting in Bangkok.

I have been sober for about 30 years do not remember exactly when I quit. People kept telling me keep coming back it gets better. Well it never has got better.I am still angry about how alcohol took so much of my life and changed it.I need people but cannot seem to get really close to any one. Now I am married for 3 years I am losing some of my anger,because it is hard to stay angry when some else is in my life .I donot desire a drink but good lasting relationships are impossible to find.Loneliness is still my closest companion. Now my health is deteriorating makes me wonder why I keep going ,For what?

For those of you that have become well adjusted sober I am happy for you and keep up the good work. To say I am envious is an understatement.

• 2 months later...

We had a great response to our last meeting and the Group has decided to have another Public Information (P.I.) Meeting on March 31 at the same venue, the S15 Hotel at Sukhumvit at 18:30. Please note that his meeting is on Thursday to facilitate anyone who is busy at the weekend.

I will post more information in my next post.

Hope to see you there!

Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) would like to invite you to our Open Information Meeting on March 31, 2016 at 18:30 at the S15 Hotel (On the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 15 Bangkok). The purpose of this meeting is to provide information about our program of recovery from alcoholism.

Who we are:

We in A.A. are men and women who have discovered, and admitted, that we cannot control alcohol. We have learned that we must live without it if we are to avoid disaster for ourselves and those close to us. With local groups in thousands of communities, we are part of an informal international fellowship, which now has members in 170 countries. We have but one primary purpose: to stay sober ourselves and to help others who may turn to us for help in achieving sobriety. Within our membership may be found men and women of all ages and many different social, economic, and cultural backgrounds. Alcoholics Anonymous is a voluntary, worldwide fellowship of men and women from all walks of life who meet together to attain and maintain sobriety. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership.

Current Membership It is estimated that there are over 115,000 groups and over 2,000,000 Members in approximately 170 countries.

· The meeting will have a moderator who will explain what A.A. can and cannot do

· Two speakers who will speak about how A.A. has helped them get and stay sober.

· Q&A There will be time at the end for any questions from the audience.

There will be a Thai translator on hand to translate.

Attendance is free of charge so there are no fees. Coffee and snacks will be provided.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi does anyone know when is the next AA meeting nearby Sukhumvit area and if it will be suitable for a person in twenties?.

saakura hi --- AA in Sukhumwit. There are meetings today, Sunday, at 1900 and 2030 at the Recovery Club in Ekkamai. The 2030 meeting is a beginners' meeting designed for people who are new. I am sure you'll find other people there who are of a similar age but in any event age is not really an issue.

If I were in Bangkok I would offer to meet you and take you there but I am not.

So here are directions:

• take BTS Skytrain to Ekkamai station;
  • exit station using exit no. 2;
  • walk straight along Sukhumvit for a small distance and turn right onto Ekkamai road at the traffic lights;
  • cross to the other side of the road and walk up for about 5 minutes;
  • at the Bourbon Street Oyster Bar & Restaurant, turn left into a small soi;
  • the Recovery club is next to the Bourbon Street Oyster bar and there are usually a few folk outside who will welcome you; it's basically the ground floor of a block of apartments;

Good luck.

Hi does anyone know when is the next AA meeting nearby Sukhumvit area and if it will be suitable for a person in twenties?.

saakura hi --- AA in Sukhumwit. There are meetings today, Sunday, at 1900 and 2030 at the Recovery Club in Ekkamai. The 2030 meeting is a beginners' meeting designed for people who are new. I am sure you'll find other people there who are of a similar age but in any event age is not really an issue.

If I were in Bangkok I would offer to meet you and take you there but I am not.

So here are directions:

• take BTS Skytrain to Ekkamai station;
  • exit station using exit no. 2;
  • walk straight along Sukhumvit for a small distance and turn right onto Ekkamai road at the traffic lights;
  • cross to the other side of the road and walk up for about 5 minutes;
  • at the Bourbon Street Oyster Bar & Restaurant, turn left into a small soi;
  • the Recovery club is next to the Bourbon Street Oyster bar and there are usually a few folk outside who will welcome you; it's basically the ground floor of a block of apartments;

Good luck.

Thank you so much! I will convey the details to the parents of the person concerned and hope it works out. Once again, appreciate your help.

Details conveyed and they are going to attend today's meeting for beginners. Thanks again.

you may also want to convey this information too:

there's an old saying: you can always tell an alcoholic, but you can't tell them very much. I once had a discussion with my doctor during which I told him I had quit drinking. He almost fell off his chair. I explained I was going to AA. He said he was delighted and that he had often wondered about raising the issue of my drinking at an earlier stage. He explained that decided against doing this because he feared he would scare me away. A very wise, perspicacious doctor.

Many of us baulk at the suggestion of going to AA for the first time. Denial is the nature of the beast. "AA is for tramps and bums....", "I'm not as bad as that" and so on.

I would avoid getting into a debate or an attempt to persuade. Ask the person to do something for you, without explaining what. Ask them to trust you. Take them to the meeting. Don't tell them where you are going. Introduce them to the folk outside. Say you'll be back in an hour. Leave it like that. Go back in an hour and collect them and you've done your job.

Good luck and thanks for trying to help someone save their life.

if the person is Thai, and most at this meeting will be expats, they will be able to put her in touch with Thai AAs. If not come back to me and I will see what I can do.

It's not at all P.C., left wing or vegetarian as one might imagine if one has any knowledge of the author but Clarissa Dickson Wright's book, 'Spilling the Beans' contains a lot of truths regarding alcoholism and A.A.; she stayed sober for the last twenty years of her life.

Archived