Linux Distro Review Thread

naboo

I've now been using Linux more than Windows for over a year. In that time, I've had a look at a number of different distros but there doesn't seem to be a central review thread on ThaiVisa for the seemingly endless options available. So how about we post some short intro reviews to share our likes and dislikes of various versions. If the thread can be kept to just user reviews, it will be a good resource for people looking to make the switch to Linux, and others. If people need to discuss a particular distro, a new thread would be ideal.

So my first contribution:

Chromixium - a new distro that has only released its first stable version in the last few months.

Chromixium is an Ubuntu 14.04 based distro with security updates to 2019.

post-78027-0-25339700-1448631336_thumb.p

Minimum hardware requirements: 512MB RAM (1GB preferred), 1GHZ PAE/SSE2 capable Intel/AMD processor. The idea behind it is to mix the benefits of Chrome OS with the benefits of Ubuntu. I am running it on a cheap laptop I bought this month with an Intel Celeron dual core processor (2.16GHz) with 2GB of RAM.

Being Ubuntu based, the support for this Distro is excellent. It comes with very little pre-installed which I like - I want to choose the software I use and with the Ubuntu apps directory, its pretty straight forward to find a lot of stuff.

post-78027-0-16914400-1448631374_thumb.p

Anything you need that is not in the app store, you can install as usual through terminal or by downloading the appropriate file and installing as with any Ubuntu based system. But you also have the option to install apps from the Chrome webstore.

post-78027-0-11765900-1448631444_thumb.p

This is where I feel this distro is really strong. Not only do I have the option of Linux, but I have the features of Chrome OS as well. I have seperate log ins for each member of my family. When they log in they have their selection of apps in the google app launcher.

post-78027-0-14992700-1448631473_thumb.p

So when I log in, I have my Gmail, my Google drive, my Facebook, my Youtube, my Google Docs. My wife logs in, and its all her stuff, whatever she wants. My phone syncs photos I take to Google Drive which then syncs to this laptop when I log on. I don't really want a full office suite on this laptop, its mainly for web browsing and the odd small task. I can open up Google Docs to edit a document and I've got my work Dropbox account synced so if the sky caves in and I actually have to do some work from home I can load up my Dropbox account and edit stuff with Google Docs. Log out and in as my wife, she can't screw it all up, that's all saved in a cloud under my log in.

You do, of course, have the option of loading an office suite etc. and these are then accessed through a right click on the home screen, as you can see, I've got Skype installed which I'm not sure would be available on a Chromebook.

post-78027-0-36940600-1448631513_thumb.p

Lots of positives. What I don't like is in control panel, options seem to open if I just touch them. I don't seem to be able to fix that in mouse settings. (Should add here, there is touch screen support). I also find video isn't that great, though I'm not sure if that is the OS or my cheap as chips laptop. Also, being new, there is a very small userbase and so very little distro specific support.

For something to have lying around the living room on a cheap laptop, I think this is a great new distro.

My second review is another small distro with limited users, Zorin.

First note, Zorin comes with several options, as well as the standard choice of 32-Bit or 64-Bit, there are other options, an Education option, a Lite option for low spec computers, the standard version and the Premium paid for version - I can't remember the price but its under $20. I use the standard 64-Bit version.

Second note, Zorin is currently offering two downloads, Zorin 9 or Zorin 10. I have not tried Zorin 10. Zorin 9 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 and so has security updates until 2019. Zorin 10 is based on a later version and so does not have long term support.

Minimum system requiirements:

For the standard desktop editions of Zorin OS:

1 GHz x86 processor, 10 GB of Hard Drive space, 512 MB of system memory (RAM), Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution

For Zorin OS Lite:

266 MHz x86 processor, 5GB of Hard Drive space, 256 MB of system memory (RAM), Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution

So, Zorin is the OS that finally got me over from Windows. I had a new Windows 8 PC and I hated it so I went back to Linux, several years after a failed dip into Ubuntu. Zorin is perfect for the transition. It is built to look like Windows (though you can choose the Gnome look if you like). You click the start button, and up pops the Windows imitation start bar, with all your programs, a search field... it feels like Windows and when you're getting used to a new OS, that's useful. One thing I hated with my previous failed move to Linux was that I couldn't find the damned Terminal, I couldn't find the Software Centre, and after one update, I could no longer even figure out how to open the web browser. Shut it down, went back to XP. With Zorin, hoever, everything is where you would expect it.

The homescreen, well you actually have four homescreens on rotation:

post-78027-0-43015200-1448633749_thumb.p

post-78027-0-49115600-1448634315_thumb.p

Basic, start menu in the bottom left corner, looks pretty much like Windows. Then there is a theme changer. I have always stuck with the default theme, but there are themes you can download.

post-78027-0-84912900-1448633854_thumb.p

As well as the theme changer, there is also a look changer. This gives you the choice of a Windows 7 layout, a Windows XP layout, or the Gnome 2 look.

post-78027-0-03833300-1448634087_thumb.p

With it being an Ubuntu based system, you have the Ubuntu App Store from which you can install whatever, and as you would expect, you still have the alternative installations via Terminal etc available.

post-78027-0-94761900-1448633956_thumb.p

Zorin have also included a nice little browser installer, so when you first install (installation process very straightforward btw) you can choose which browser you want, no difficulty at all.

post-78027-0-64396900-1448634198_thumb.p

Depending on the version you choose, Zorin comes with just about all the software you could need. I think I've only added Skype and Kolour Paint to the package. The office package included is Libre Office which I find very good when it comes to syncing with Google Docs.

post-78027-0-43019700-1448634237_thumb.p

I have installed the lite version on a neighbour's old PC so that their kids can do basic school work on it. They have taken to it fine, no problems at all once I had overcome the usual difficulties connecting a network printer. That was running with 512MB Ram on an old AMD processor. On my PC, I have not had a problem in over a year. I do some heavy video editing and Zorin has been quicker than anything I have used in Windows. I love it.

Downside is not many other people do, so there is not a great deal of Zorin specific support.

(edit to note: I am on my Chromixium laptop right now and couldn't be bothered to start up my PC, so images were taken from here.)

I don't want to be overly critical, but all you are doing is comparing the same distro (Ubuntu) with different desktops. It would be better if you concentrated on reviewing different distributions, like CentOS, OpenSuSE, or Fedora.

I don't want to be overly critical, but all you are doing is comparing the same distro (Ubuntu) with different desktops. It would be better if you concentrated on reviewing different distributions, like CentOS, OpenSuSE, or Fedora.

I think you're missing the point as to what the average user on Linux is looking for when choosing a distribution.

With the advent of Windows 10 and its privacy issues, there may be a large shift to Linux. Most people who have never ventured into the world of Linux before and most who have, have ended going back to Windows. A lot of what is on the internet is meanginless to the majority, myself included. In the office I work in of 20 people, I'm 2nd most tech savvy, only behind the guy who's job is in IT. And if you were to ask any of the other 18 people in the office to write a bootable USB and install Linux, you're going to get a blank stare. We have bought a number of cheap laptops and installed Zorin on them for work use. Half the staff are able to open a browser without diffficulty, the other half stare at it like its a baby with 5 legs.

The two distros (distrowatch considerss them different distros even if you don't, but I'll call them flavours from now) I've reviewed above are both Ubuntu based, but to you're average user, they're going to be totally different. Zorin for a Windows 7 convert is going to be the most straight forward, anyone with experience working in Chrome OS (not many, yet) or within Google Apps is going to find Chromixium useful. Other people may prefer other distros/desktops, this thread is for people to share their experiences with whatever flavour of Linux they have experience with so that your average part time geek can find out something new.

FWIW, I've only ever dabbled in Ubuntu based Linux, my previous aborted attempts to get on with it both being straight Ubuntu. Maybe someone can post some reviews of OpenSuSe, Fedora, or something else. I for one would be interested.

Archived