Chinese woman, 23, found dead, alone on dive tour north of Phuket

rooster59

Some inside information. William diving chartered the boat and had their own divemasters on board, the tourleader was from the operator.

On this trip they were doing unlimited diving, and 2 people went in together, dont know if they were guest with divemaster or 2 friends or something else. Apparently the boat did not know this and did not realise these divers were in the water because the boat left, leaving the divers alone. After quite a few hours another boat picked them both up, one had unfortunately died.

At the moment I can not yet explain the original story of her being dead for 6 hours and what exactly happened between one boat leaving and the other one showing up.

I don't work in the dive industry, but you do.

Wouldn't a standard safety procedure be to cross check a diver / passenger (a person - do a head count) with the number of dive kits you have onboard, before you pull anchor?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some inside information. William diving chartered the boat and had their own divemasters on board, the tourleader was from the operator.

On this trip they were doing unlimited diving, and 2 people went in together, dont know if they were guest with divemaster or 2 friends or something else. Apparently the boat did not know this and did not realise these divers were in the water because the boat left, leaving the divers alone. After quite a few hours another boat picked them both up, one had unfortunately died.

At the moment I can not yet explain the original story of her being dead for 6 hours and what exactly happened between one boat leaving and the other one showing up.

Wouldn't a standard safety procedure be to cross check a diver / passenger (a person - do a head count) with the number of dive kits you have onboard, before you pull anchor?

You check name list with people on board as SOP.

I would have thought a cross check count of the dive kits onboard would have also been standard procedure.

Anyway, obviously, staff with this company have a problem with counting, or were in a hurry to get to a party and drink sangsom.

I would have thought a cross check count of the dive kits onboard would have also been standard procedure.

Anyway, obviously, staff with this company have a problem with counting, or were in a hurry to get to a party and drink sangsom.

They simply did not count i presume.

"They simply did not count care I presume."

Stupid comment.

Why a stupid comment?

I'm sure the staff can count. That only leaves they simply didn't care, or were grossly incompetent, boardering on criminally negligent.

The dive industry has killed many here, and I am not only talking about those chopped up by a boat propeller. All these deaths can not be from natural causes. Many have died due to the action / lack of action from the dive companies.

Where is the "duty of care" in an industry / sport that demands high safety standards????

Sure, accidents happen, but when an accident occurs, where is the accountability????

How many more divers have to die before the industry is corruption free and properly regulated here????

When will they realise the tourist will not simply keep coming, and coming - like lambs to the slaughter. If they do not think of the health and safety of their customers, at least they should think of their own livelyhoods and clean up their industry.

Lose the Chinese market from diving here and there is very little else to fill the void.

"They simply did not count care I presume."

Stupid comment.

Why a stupid comment?

I'm sure the staff can count. That only leaves they simply didn't care, or were grossly incompetent, boardering on criminally negligent.

The dive industry has killed many here, and I am not only talking about those chopped up by a boat propeller. All these deaths can not be from natural causes. Many have died due to the action / lack of action from the dive companies.

Where is the "duty of care" in an industry / sport that demands high safety standards????

Sure, accidents happen, but when an accident occurs, where is the accountability????

How many more divers have to die before the industry is corruption free and properly regulated here????

When will they realise the tourist will not simply keep coming, and coming - like lambs to the slaughter. If they do not think of the health and safety of their customers, at least they should think of their own livelyhoods and clean up their industry.

Lose the Chinese market from diving here and there is very little else to fill the void.

Claiming they don't care after they are responsible for the death of another human being when you nothing about them is stupid IMO.

The rest of your post is just trolling and not worth a reaction, only showing a big lack of knowledge.

@ stevenl

Your posts in this matter appear to reflect the general attitude of the dive industry here, that is - "cover it up."

They shift the blame. Make excuses. Offer compensation. Everything but fix the problem.

I am not trolling. It's a genuine disgust at the corruption, and lack of health and safety regulation, that is taking so many lives here, in what should be an enjoyable sport.

Who knows why, who cares? Bottom line IF they did one they missed people. NKM quit trolling. To troll BS on a fatality thread is uncalled for. There is so much to the story we will never know the truth about so to keep commenting is like pushing a rope up a hill. Have some respect once in a while instead of what you normally do.

Who knows why, who cares? Bottom line IF they did one they missed people. NKM quit trolling. To troll BS on a fatality thread is uncalled for. There is so much to the story we will never know the truth about so to keep commenting is like pushing a rope up a hill. Have some respect once in a while instead of what you normally do.

I'm not trolling.

"Who knows why, who cares?" - you sum up the attidue of authorites here quite well.

"There is so much to the story we will never know the truth about" - like I said, it will be "covered up" or a scapegoat found.

It's pretty obviously that the Thai's here are incapable of ensuring the safety of their customers. Eg. Tiger Disco fire, bungee Jump rope breaks. diving deaths, taxi / minivan accidents, electrocutions, etc etc.

How many threads, and how many RIP posts, before they stop the corruption surrounding such activities, and enforce safety standards?

@ stevenl

"bcause of shared responsibilty" - and now, no one will take responsibilty, and no one will be held accountable.

Now that we don't know yet. But yes, I foresee a problem getting hold of the right people, they may have left the country already.

And if still here, as long as fully legal I don't see much happening to them. You may think 'criminally negligent', I don't think Thai law will agree with you.

This doesn't explain what could have killed the woman?? If she was dead for 6 hours, found in the afternoon, then she must have died fairly early in the day ...what about leaving two people would have killed one of them in such a short period ?? ...and the other one doesn't know what happened ??...no comment in the news from that person?

Did the boat HIT the woman, upon leaving??

This doesn't explain what could have killed the woman?? If she was dead for 6 hours, found in the afternoon, then she must have died fairly early in the day ...what about leaving two people would have killed one of them in such a short period ?? ...and the other one doesn't know what happened ??...no comment in the news from that person?

Did the boat HIT the woman, upon leaving??

No, that does not explain it, which is why I wrote "At the moment I can not yet explain the original story of her being dead for 6 hours and what exactly happened between one boat leaving and the other one showing up.". And I really don't know what happened and won't start speculating.

I do think your timeframe if off though, the coronor said she was dead for appx. 6 hours, so that was a long time after she was found.

I read the story again .....it says the body was found about 2:30 pm, and the doctor said she had died "six hours before she was found."

So, you are in the water ....your boat drives off leaving you and a partner (?) ....what about this situation would cause a person to die immediately?

I participate in this sport and had I ever found myself with no boat ...I think I could last a hell of a long time.

I read the story again .....it says the body was found about 2:30 pm, and the doctor said she had died "six hours before she was found."

So, you are in the water ....your boat drives off leaving you and a partner (?) ....what about this situation would cause a person to die immediately?

I participate in this sport and had I ever found myself with no boat ...I think I could last a hell of a long time.

I would presume that to be incorrect reporting.

Why she died I really don't know, and I'll refrain from speculation.

Cause of death is one thing, why she was left behind is another thing.

No excuse for doing that.

Cause of death is one thing, why she was left behind is another thing.

No excuse for doing that.

Yes, they were left behind, no excuse for that.

@ stevenl

"bcause of shared responsibilty" - and now, no one will take responsibilty, and no one will be held accountable.

Now that we don't know yet. But yes, I foresee a problem getting hold of the right people, they may have left the country already.

And if still here, as long as fully legal I don't see much happening to them. You may think 'criminally negligent', I don't think Thai law will agree with you.

But as you said before, you don't know much about the law

@ stevenl

I said I don't think Thai law will agree. You apparently disagree based on your vast superior knowledge of Thai law.

@ stevenl

I said I don't think Thai law will agree. You apparently disagree based on your vast superior knowledge of Thai law.
yes i do

Archived