Table Top Oven.............. Good or Bad ?

thequietman

We have a more expensive Ricco which DIL uses often for baking and seems to work very well and be of good construction. If Kashiwa has a 1 month warranty as I see listed on a seller here I would be a bit leery.

ricco-etaa-bsaetnels-khnaad-50litr-7079-

Yes, a 1 month warranty is worrying. I suppose that's why it's half price.

My Zanussi has been sufficient for what I need.

The odd pizza,cheese on toast,small joint of pork etc.

I'm not big into baking but it has served its purpose for what I require.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1448773854.354593.jpg

I have that exact same model. I've had it for 4 years now and it works brilliantly. I've done large pork roasts, grilled hamburgers, baked cakes/corn bread/etc. easily. Won't fit a Turkey but roasting a chicken.

My previous topic on it - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/529187-toaster-ovens-where-did-they-all-go/

post-566-0-26720700-1448788612_thumb.jpg

My Zanussi has been sufficient for what I need.

The odd pizza,cheese on toast,small joint of pork etc.

I'm not big into baking but it has served its purpose for what I require.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1448773854.354593.jpg

I have that exact same model. I've had it for 4 years now and it works brilliantly. I've done large pork roasts, grilled hamburgers, baked cakes/corn bread/etc. easily. Won't fit a Turkey but roasting a chicken.

My previous topic on it - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/529187-toaster-ovens-where-did-they-all-go/

attachicon.gifZanussi.jpg

Mine looks the same, called 'Nesco' must be 6 or 7 years old.. bought at Index.. lately the timer works when it feels like it, not a problem just have to watch it.... if I remember it was 2.990 baht.

post-114384-0-44715900-1448799356_thumb.

We've had this Minoya for 4 years.....Big enough for baking cakes/cookies on the large platters... Has a convection mode as well as a rotisserie....A small turkey could be cooked in it....It has surprised me just how good it has functioned as an oven - everything has turned out well....Also toasts sourdough bread every day & has worked without fail...Once our wet smoker failed (lpg leak) while cooking 2k+ chicken wings for a group .... This oven saved the day....Got it at Makro about 4000B.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Damn things are hard to clean though. I use baking soda or salt and water, which works okay, but still a pain in the ars.

Good point....

IMPORTANT WHEN LOOKING....Ours has a large crumb/splatter tray that is easily removed and cleaned....My wife has wide aluminum foil she takes out - tosses and replaces....Ample room under the heating rods for clearance....Important feature to look for when shopping.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Damn things are hard to clean though. I use baking soda or salt and water, which works okay, but still a pain in the ars.

I've seen combi ovens with steamfunction for easy cleaning. Press the button and the oven will be full of steam. I don't know if it really works/helps.

I've seen combi ovens with steamfunction for easy cleaning. Press the button and the oven will be full of steam. I don't know if it really works/helps.

Guessing a tin with water in it might work too if not too much water used to help break down residue....Ours cleans up pretty easy <> But somehow everything the wife does is tidy and clean....Right down to utensils washed as she cooks before the dishes hit the table....

Never tried in the table top oven, as always use foil on the tray at the bottom, so easy to keep clean.. wipe with wet cloth inside the top and sides when still warm

Microwave it works well, and have used this method for many years [since my 1st Microwave in the mid 1980's]... bowl of water with some washing up liquid in, when full of steam take out and and wipe inside clean so easy..... so should work the same in a Oven

Strange place to store your oven, especially when it's so painful

Prevent them from getting dirty is more easy ... alu foil around the grill rack works fine.

i have a panasonic, cooks with steam, inverter microwave (no silly turntable required) oven, broil etc. around 18k but i love it to death, never had an oven that kept more accurate heat. cleaning functions make maintenace effortless. steam the cabinet then wipe.

it is also propely insulated, so not the fire hazzard those cheaper table tops are.

i have a panasonic, cooks with steam, inverter microwave (no silly turntable required) oven, broil etc. around 18k but i love it to death, never had an oven that kept more accurate heat. cleaning functions make maintenace effortless. steam the cabinet then wipe.

it is also propely insulated, so not the fire hazzard those cheaper table tops are.

Do you cook with MW recipes or regular oven cooking techniques?

We have a Cuisimate, purchased at Robinson's. Big enough to do a lot, and we usually bake a 5-6kg turkey in it once a year at least. But that does take all available space in the thing. Any baked dishes we want to have with that turkey have to be done separately. I think all the things we baked this year probably took a combined eight hours spanning two days.

Which is to say, bigger is better. It's something you're likely to have for many, many years and use regularly. Wouldn't hurt to pay a bit more and get something a bit better. I think I've seen built-ins at GlobalHouse for about 17,000 Baht, gas or electric.

If you do get one of the smaller metal ovens as pictured here and there in this thread, make sure it's grounded. Ours will give you a nice shock if not grounded... More shock than is comfortable.

If on a budget(or even if not), these knock those ovens into a cocked hat. Cost a mere 1000 baht. The only issue is the size. You can get extender rings to increase the volume.

these work really well for roasting chicken with a crispy skin, but it cooks unevenly so have to rotate the chicken around, for small stuff its fine. I've baked fish and made countless other stuff with it too, clean up can be annoying though if you let it drip to the bottom.