Hi - I'm looking for alcohol treatment related groups/forum section/sponsors - some help I guess :)

Hi,

I recently moved up from bkk to cnx - well september, after brief stint in uk to work and hang out with siss as she was sick.

Anyhow, alcohol, the sauce, primarily beer has been the bane of my 30's and having just turned 40 there's only 2 ways this can go - drink my self to death by 45 or achieve the goals I repeatedly/tiresomely now tell myself each morning I wake up .

Apologies if this comes across a tad - sort your <deleted> life out fella, which in fairness is true.

May be Peter Hitchens is right, there's no such thing as addiction.

Well, the master slave relationship appears to be up on sets.

Plus point is I do run, swim, cycle pretty good distances, but that jekyll and hyde kinship has gone from the nocturnal drop into 4 + day stretches, not quite on par with gaza but frighteningly creeping up there.

So I'm wondering if there are places/people that offer a kind of like social support in some way. (I don't do god sorry).

I have searched a fair bit and came across New Beginnings but they only meet once a week as far as I read and I think I need to tackle this on a daily basis - till hoping the psychological battle of wondering what the hell to do with myself in the evenings has worn off, or when you're just not simply not reminding yourself you haven't had a drink everyday.

Sorry for the rant. I have no gf right now as that wouldnt be fair on her. That Sandra Bullock movie where she's told to get a plant for a year and if that's still alive then a pet for a further yr - and if that survives - then your ready for relationship. God that sounds extreme but probably some truth init.

Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.

P.S I dont have $12k for one of these luxury plush rehab places that focus on cognitive therapy etc - sadly - they do look good.
Think maybe 14 days meditation camp/temple - Acupuncture?
I'm all ears.

Cheers :P xx.

There is a really good, popular, professionally run AA group for Westeners on Kong Sai Road Wat Ket. It is about number 120 I guess, near Dr Wong Hospital, it is opposite a Pet Food store that has a lot of signage.

They have the whole building, regular meetings, often see motorcycles parked outside. Have caught up with a few guys as I was walking past on regular jaunt, and seem liek a great bunch of guys.

They have a large banner out the front and they do hold quite a few meetings a week.

Try AA

As was pointed out to you in the first post

http://www.aathailand.org/

We are a fellowship of men and women who have come to geather to beat the disease of Alcoholism. We are all equal there is nothing professional about us. We do have members who are doctor's, lawyer's, politician's and all kinds of different professional's. When we come together all that goes out the window we are just people. We have a program that has worked for many and truth be told some just hang around and don't bother with it. The fellowship is good enough for them. That is a very personal decision.

You are under no obligation what so ever come and go as you please. Here in Chiang Mai we have in the neighborhood of 30 meetings a week. There is no dues or fees. We pass the basket and those who can not put in don't no big deal Most of us throw in 20 baht no big deal We are completely supporting through are own donations. We do not have opinions on any thing out side of Alcoholism. That being said many of us have opinions but they re not AA opinions they are personal opinions.

You will hear the word God mentioned. It is not a requirement to believe in God we have several atheists here in Chiang Mai doing just fine. If you believer in God that is OK and we don't care how you describe him. That is none of are business.

Over my many years of being a sober member of AA, I have tried to help many alcoholics a few have died.

My point is an alcoholics death is not a pretty thing its very slow and painful. Watching these people die has helped to keep me sober.

If you don't believe in God trow it out the window it's not a requirement to be a member of AA. The only requirement is a desire to stop drinking (Third tradition).

I wish you luck in your journey to find "Peace of Mind"

coffee1.gif

You are a most fortunate fellow to appreciate the likelihood of a premature death if you carry on. The majority carry on and fulfil the prophecy. Proceed and prosper. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I saw my own daddy on certain Delirium Tremens and should be healed. But no, stupid enough to start drinking here.

My new year solution to quit drinking is more difficult than I thought.But I can stop for a few days, ain't got no problem.

I've seen quite a few friends dying, one of them took his medication with a glass of Jacky....then the cirrhosis...

Nope, there's no fun in drinking, it makes people loud and stupid.

Maybe a THC therapy? I mean if it works for you, why not? Best of luck from somebody who should know it better.

Now I've said goodbye to too many good guys in the village and i don't wanna say goodbye again. Should be reason enough to stop that shit now and forever. Cheers-

Sadly it is a challenge you will fail....accept what you have become... Turning to this or that .... you know your answer. it is all up to you...have you not hurt enough people in your life..

How badly do you want your sobriety? Dude how long have been drinking...decades, and your expecting a "cure" in 14 days..No..that's not a sign of your honest intention..

Find an activity when you help other people, so you can take your mind off your own needs for a while. Yes, a geographical cure was a good try..

It is acceptance, a routine, a strong belief, a willingness to take responsibility for your our own actions...sorry the power above you.. let you off the hook.. It is you... a little bit at a time..until you die..

Archived