BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lostinisaan

Why You Seldom Find DELETED On The Isaan Forum.......

I am talking about real situations.

Educated Thais, well they probably do read look at international news, whether they show any real interest ? I don't know.

Do you think the Thais, (and to some extent farangs), looking at their smart phones all day are reading anything interesting or doing Facebook or mobile applications ?

I will give you an example, and it is not a one off, of some predicaments regarding farangs.

A westerner, married for say 25 years, eventually gets divorced. For that period of time he has never lived alone, so never cooked, washed or done many day to day chores. He was the breadwinner, so why did have to ? In those days they were called housewives, people expected the woman of the house to do it all. Times may have changed, but in those days it was seen as her role in life.

So he comes here to get away from the bitter divorce, and to sort his head out.

By whatever means, he meets a good looking girl 30 years his junior, she stays with him for the duration of his holiday, and at the end of the holiday he believes THEY, not him alone, but THEY are in love.

So he goes home and thinks what have I got left here ? Looks at his finances after the divorce settlement and decides to up sticks and come to live in Thailand.

So still believing it is love, within a few months he finds himself the proud owner (financier) of a lovely new house in rural Isaan, and a nice 4 door pickup to boot. His finances have dwindled immensely, but hey, he has no rent to pay until the day he dies, his basic state pension, equivalent to approximately 20,000 baht a month is more than enough to get by on.

For whatever reason, his drinking habits due to boredom, a Thai boyfriend, it could be anything, the relationship turns a bit sour, and all is not well.

His choices,

1 - Go back home, where he has nothing, and try to live on the same pension.

2 - Walk away, go to live somewhere else in Thailand. But out of that basic pension he now has to factor in

rental and transport costs, leaving not so much for his daily pleasures.

3 - Accept that the relationship was doomed from the start, but with her letting him stay there, and cooking

and washing for him, even though there is nothing between them, he can still have his daily beer quota, and

reflect on how he, himself has ended up in this situation.

I have met many people in this type of situation, and in the company of others around the table, they put on a brave smile and agree about how great village life is. But sit down, man to man, and hear the truth,it breaks your heart.

Is the alternative to stay in home country and grow old in nursing home? Life is a use-or-lose proposition as far as i can tell.

Mom works in oncology in a famous hospital clinic in the USA. The typical patient is either terminally ill or the stage just before it. Tubes, IVs, and medication galore to lessen the pain. The clinic never run out of clients. Neither do the nursing homes that many of them go to afterwards, if they do not have family [who wants to] tend to them privately.

This path to dying is "normal" behavior in the USA in terms of getting sick and/or old in age. Regrets? I think so: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

Everyone can live their life however they want...it's a "free" country. Is that how you want to live your whole life? There is no such thing as risk-free choices. There is a pain that comes from trying and failing. And a pain that comes from not trying at all. Which pain do you want to suffer from?

Having lived up here for over 10 years, but not out in the sticks, I can assure you that not every farang is as happy as they tell you they are.

Met a girl wherever, it is not important, and eventually talked into buying or building a house in the village to 'live the dream'.

Eventually, like everywhere, after a period of time, the novelty wears off. With very limited conversation, no westerners near, or if fluent in Thai, no Thai person to have a meaningful conversation with, their best friend (or even their only friend) becomes the computer.

Now we are so critical about Thais with the 'losing face' issue (none more so than me), but now the farang is in a similar situation. He now has no alternative to the village life, cannot sell the house, no funds to relocate, but he will never tell other westerners or Thais that he does not like it, because he himself will 'lose face'. So he will tell everyone how great life is in Nakhon Nowhere, but deep down he is quite, if not very, lonely. As the internet speed is not up to scratch, he would not even be able to access a decent western television package, and have to rely on You Tube for visual entertainment.

So next time you hear somebody say how great their idyllic life is in Isaan, bear in mind they might not be telling the true story.

Even if they visit one of the bigger cities up here for a couple of nights, it isn't the same as it was years ago.

Where do I start?

First came t Thailand 15 years ago, not ten

Met my wife when I was in California.

My wife is university educated and not only speaks, reads and writes English..she is an English teacher....

No communication problems at all.

Yes, we built a house in "the village, but we have moved on to a larger community ( still "the sticks" to people like you) The wife's mother now lives in the house we built and takes great care of it for us.

See, we did and do have options!

I have high speed wifi at home and international satilite television.

Home entertainment is not an issue here.

Many of our Thai friends speak English..and I have learned a little Thai too..

No lack of meaninful conversations!

There are more farangs in Issan than I care to meet or get to know!

But, I do have some pretty good friends with Thai wives from America, Britton, Austrailia and New Zealand.

Our social life is just fine thank you!

"bear in mind they might not be telling the true story."

To me your post is questionable...I think I have addressed most of it here.

If you do not live in Issan, please stay wherever you are.

Thank youwai.gif

Or to make a long story short.

If all the foreign Arschholess in Thailand could fly, you couldn't see the sun anymore.

Thanks for your great post and enjoy life. Khop Khun La Lai.-thumbsup.gif

What a relief....Just finished repairing my RAT eaten wiring....We can now intheclub.gif in the garden.....thumbsup.gif

Congrats and my deepest apologies for not showing up in U.R for so long.

Taking the god damn job and leaving your hometown was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made in my life. Well, can't turn time back, though...

But it seems that we have to make mistakes to understand what a good job and a nice place to work and live at, actually means.

Hope to see you soon. My Regards to Mrs. Trans.I really like your new Avatar, it suits you well.

Best wishes from Karabao town..- thumbsup.gif

I am talking about real situations.

Educated Thais, well they probably do read look at international news, whether they show any real interest ? I don't know.

Do you think the Thais, (and to some extent farangs), looking at their smart phones all day are reading anything interesting or doing Facebook or mobile applications ?

I will give you an example, and it is not a one off, of some predicaments regarding farangs.

A westerner, married for say 25 years, eventually gets divorced. For that period of time he has never lived alone, so never cooked, washed or done many day to day chores. He was the breadwinner, so why did have to ? In those days they were called housewives, people expected the woman of the house to do it all. Times may have changed, but in those days it was seen as her role in life.

So he comes here to get away from the bitter divorce, and to sort his head out.

By whatever means, he meets a good looking girl 30 years his junior, she stays with him for the duration of his holiday, and at the end of the holiday he believes THEY, not him alone, but THEY are in love.

So he goes home and thinks what have I got left here ? Looks at his finances after the divorce settlement and decides to up sticks and come to live in Thailand.

So still believing it is love, within a few months he finds himself the proud owner (financier) of a lovely new house in rural Isaan, and a nice 4 door pickup to boot. His finances have dwindled immensely, but hey, he has no rent to pay until the day he dies, his basic state pension, equivalent to approximately 20,000 baht a month is more than enough to get by on.

For whatever reason, his drinking habits due to boredom, a Thai boyfriend, it could be anything, the relationship turns a bit sour, and all is not well.

His choices,

1 - Go back home, where he has nothing, and try to live on the same pension.

2 - Walk away, go to live somewhere else in Thailand. But out of that basic pension he now has to factor in

rental and transport costs, leaving not so much for his daily pleasures.

3 - Accept that the relationship was doomed from the start, but with her letting him stay there, and cooking

and washing for him, even though there is nothing between them, he can still have his daily beer quota, and

reflect on how he, himself has ended up in this situation.

I have met many people in this type of situation, and in the company of others around the table, they put on a brave smile and agree about how great village life is. But sit down, man to man, and hear the truth,it breaks your heart.

Is the alternative to stay in home country and grow old in nursing home? Life is a use-or-lose proposition as far as i can tell.

Mom works in oncology in a famous hospital clinic in the USA. The typical patient is either terminally ill or the stage just before it. Tubes, IVs, and medication galore to lessen the pain. The clinic never run out of clients. Neither do the nursing homes that many of them go to afterwards, if they do not have family [who wants to] tend to them privately.

This path to dying is "normal" behavior in the USA in terms of getting sick and/or old in age. Regrets? I think so: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

Everyone can live their life however they want...it's a "free" country. Is that how you want to live your whole life? There is no such thing as risk-free choices. There is a pain that comes from trying and failing. And a pain that comes from not trying at all. Which pain do you want to suffer from?

So come here and shag a younger girl. Great ! I am sure your daughter would the same, and you would be so happy ?

Arschloch in German means " Ass w**le in English. Op was only tying to avoid the attention of extremely alert "Global Moderators"

As I gather: Common language within the English language universe include words like <deleted>, There is no American Citizen left, that can form a phrase without using the word Sh* t. or <deleted>. at the end of a sentence..

Welcome! Soon Thailand will look kike the South Bronx.

If of interest: I have actually lived in the US for 12 years! No. this is not a troll post

Cheers.

Arschloch in German means " Ass w**le in English. Op was only tying to avoid the attention of extremely alert "Global Moderators"

As I gather: Common language within the English language universe include words like <deleted>, There is no American Citizen left, that can form a phrase without using the word Sh* t. or <deleted>. at the end of a sentence..

If of interest: I have actually lived in the US for 12 years! No. this is not a troll post

Cheers.

Most people who have been &lt;deleted&gt; over are Krauts !

Reading this makes me crave craft beer and good sushi.

Only kidding i've just had my fill of both. :D

Having lived up here for over 10 years, but not out in the sticks, I can assure you that not every farang is as happy as they tell you they are.

Met a girl wherever, it is not important, and eventually talked into buying or building a house in the village to 'live the dream'.

Eventually, like everywhere, after a period of time, the novelty wears off. With very limited conversation, no westerners near, or if fluent in Thai, no Thai person to have a meaningful conversation with, their best friend (or even their only friend) becomes the computer.

Now we are so critical about Thais with the 'losing face' issue (none more so than me), but now the farang is in a similar situation. He now has no alternative to the village life, cannot sell the house, no funds to relocate, but he will never tell other westerners or Thais that he does not like it, because he himself will 'lose face'. So he will tell everyone how great life is in Nakhon Nowhere, but deep down he is quite, if not very, lonely. As the internet speed is not up to scratch, he would not even be able to access a decent western television package, and have to rely on You Tube for visual entertainment.

So next time you hear somebody say how great their idyllic life is in Isaan, bear in mind they might not be telling the true story.

Even if they visit one of the bigger cities up here for a couple of nights, it isn't the same as it was years ago.

Great post

Indeed, great post. Hitting "close to home" in many cases. (Too many cases ?).

Cheers.

Obviously hit a nerve with you as well Swissie?

Never mind, if yourself and StuckinIsaan get lonely, you always have each other wub.png

Cheers.

Lived in the U. S of A for 12 years ?

This is a Thai forum.

Cheers.

I have never been to the U, S of A !

Cheers.

I have never been to the U, S of A !

But I have met loads of Sour Krauts.

Most of the nasty class warfare stuff I read on ThaiVisa is directed from the bottom up and not the other way around.

Says the well-off and opinionated Bangkokian who transplanted himself to Chiang Rai. I think VF's post tends to reinforce the op's thesis.

With the basic thesis proposed in this topic being that upcountry expats are better than everyone else, and with me living upcountry, I guess I should be thanking you for the compliment.wai.gif

"Most of the nasty class warfare stuff I read on ThaiVisa is directed from the bottom up and not the other way around."

So you apparently see yourself and others of your class above certain others? Surprise, surprise!

< snip> There is no American Citizen left, that can form a phrase without using the word Sh* t. or <deleted>. at the end of a sentence..

Cheers.

Yes but when Americans use the word sh*t at the end of a sentence as an exclamation, it is usually of the two syllable variety as in She-it