Why You Seldom Find DELETED On The Isaan Forum.......

lostinisaan

I have been living in the boonies of Isaan for about 12 years now. I'm more content here than anywhere I have ever lived. I'm a country boy and this suits me. I lived in Bangkok for a number of years while working in Thailand. I couldn't wait to get out of the city. I'm certainly not trapped up here. In fact I still have a very nice condo in Jomtien. We have a small group of farangs in this area. We are rather diversified. A couple of Brits, a couple of Aussies, a Norwegian, a Dane and I'm the only American. We all get along well. We get together a couple times a week, drink beer and solve world problems. Once in a while we get a farang that is on the run from something. They don't last very long.

I have many things here that I couldn't have in my condo or in a city. I have a quite well equipped large garage/workshop, a four wheel drive diesel tractor and as many animals as I want. We have four ponds for fishing and relaxing. I do spend a lot of time on the Internet but never watch TV. We have two motorbikes, a car and a 4X4 pickup. My Thai wife takes good care of me and she is a very good cook. What more could I ask for? I'm not a wealthy man but I can buy whatever I fancy and we are quite comfortable. Life in the boonies is good.

There are a lot of ignorant rude posters here on Thai Visa. I'm happy that I don't have to associate with the likes of those posters.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been living in the boonies of Isaan for about 12 years now. I'm more content here than anywhere I have ever lived. I'm a country boy and this suits me. I lived in Bangkok for a number of years while working in Thailand. I couldn't wait to get out of the city. I'm certainly not trapped up here. In fact I still have a very nice condo in Jomtien. We have a small group of farangs in this area. We are rather diversified. A couple of Brits, a couple of Aussies, a Norwegian, a Dane and I'm the only American. We all get along well. We get together a couple times a week, drink beer and solve world problems. Once in a while we get a farang that is on the run from something. They don't last very long.

I have many things here that I couldn't have in my condo or in a city. I have a quite well equipped large garage/workshop, a four wheel drive diesel tractor and as many animals as I want. We have four ponds for fishing and relaxing. I do spend a lot of time on the Internet but never watch TV. We have two motorbikes, a car and a 4X4 pickup. My Thai wife takes good care of me and she is a very good cook. What more could I ask for? I'm not a wealthy man but I can buy whatever I fancy and we are quite comfortable. Life in the boonies is good.

There are a lot of ignorant rude posters here on Thai Visa. I'm happy that I don't have to associate with the likes of those posters.

I have it somewhat like you here in Chaiyaphum. And you made a great post

thank you for that!!

Glegolo

<snip>

I originally came to Isaan to work as a library-skilled volunteer at a Thai NGO under patronage of HM The King. I later set up a small US-based NGO in the US to help solve but a small component of world problems but I do it in part through the UN in Geneva not in a bar in Isaan.

... and I am more content here than anywhere I have ever lived. There are a lot of ignorant rude persons in Isaan at least from my POV but luckily, for me at least, they choose to hang out where I don't.

<snip>

I originally came to Isaan to work as a library-skilled volunteer at a Thai NGO under patronage of HM The King. I later set up a small US-based NGO in the US to help solve but a small component of world problems but I do it in part through the UN in Geneva not in a bar in Isaan.

... and I am more content here than anywhere I have ever lived. There are a lot of ignorant rude persons in Isaan at least from my POV but luckily, for me at least, they choose to hang out where I don't.

To me, based wherever in Isaan, and not under the patronage of the king of Thailand (name-throwing), it is you that seems to be a bit rude in your posts. People from Isaan doesn´t do it for you, and your life sitting in a library gives you the knowledge of the region....

No JLCrab . be more pleasant, THAT maybe even can get you friends here in life..

Glegolo

Some member of about one week wants to talk about Obama's visit to SE Asia or books to read and, rather than inform him that he can talk about Obama all he wants in the World News Forum or books to read in the Farang Pub Forum, you want to have the mods call out the national guard and shut the thing down as off-topic.

So I don't see why you are the person who should be telling people to be more pleasant.

BTW the official English-translated name for the NGO that I first volunteered is:

The XYZ Foundation in Thailand Under the Royal Patronage of H.M. the King

Some member of about one week wants to talk about Obama's visit to SE Asia or books to read and, rather than inform him that he can talk about Obama all he wants in the World News Forum or books to read in the Farang Pub Forum, you want to have the mods call out the national guard and shut the thing down as off-topic.

So I don't see why you are the person who should be telling people to be more pleasant.

BTW the official English-translated name for the NGO that I first volunteered is:

The XYZ Foundation in Thailand Under the Royal Patronage of H.M. the King

Hello J.L Crab,

Thanks for the info!

Now, just how do I get to the World News Forum or the "pub" forum as a cursory inspection of the contents does not seem to reveal exactly where they are.

If you could point me in the right direction before the cavalry turns up it would be much appreciated.

Well Gentlemen, I'm not sure if we have proven the OP's premise or totally exploded the theory!

Maybe arschholes are ubiquitous here on the esteemed TVF!

Are you trying to say that some of these honorable members have their Arsch in their skull? I'll report, then deport you.- facepalm.gif

Most Farang - Thai relationships have a starting point called Pattaya. There are Farangs, that realize that Pattaya is a "Freak-Show" far removed from reality and leave for the sticks. It appears to me, that this decision works out quite well for most Farangs.

But let's face it: Sometimes things don't evolve as expected. Worst case: Farang want's out of something that has turned into an "unpleasant situation." Only to realize, that by trying to get out of this "unpleasant situation" will usually mean a loss of invested money ranging from 100% to 50%. Such a loss. in many cases, would make it impossible to maintain a comfortable lifestyle for the Farang in the future.

Sometimes it may be the better solution to remain in this "unpleasant situation" =wearing some golden chains around the ankles, instead of.......

Fortunately, this is rather the exception than the rule. Isn't it?

Cheers.

"Most Farang - Thai relationships have a starting point called Pattaya"

This is a fantasy believed by those who have started a relationship in pay fot play areas like Pattaya,

rationalizing that everyone else must be as foolish as they were.

Many of us have good wives who have never been to pPattaya , other pay for play farang "vacation spots" or even in a bar.

Yes. most good Buddhist Thai wmen do not even drink!

My wife and those of most of my farang friends he Issan have never needed to "entertain" a desprate, lonely foreigner.

But, go ahead, keep rationalizing if it makes you feel better about what you have done.

That amused me. My wife who is a good Buddhist from Buriram, never drank until she moved to Saudi Arabia with me for years ago.

At the risk of being a trifle too anarchic for the moderators....

Are there any foreigners or Thai here who play chess or backgammon and who may want to discuss a book or two or (just possibly) the international news?

Rather than their pensions and how many baht one spends on a cup of coffee?

Please note the word "foreigner" here rather than "farang" and I will leave it at that.

I would like to start by mentioning Louis de Bernieres' splendid novel "Birds Without Wings" set in a small town in Turkey between 1912 and 1923 and how a community of Muslims,Christians and Armenians falls apart under the continuing stress of war, to the ruination of all three.

Any other books that one might care to mention?

I'm about 16-1700 rated on a chess board and like a good game. Backgammon too.

Most of the Haters, TROLLS, screamers, fingerpointers, are normally members on TV who have been a short trip to Thailand one or 2 times, which probably included only bars.

Some also have been here a bit longer, bur unfortunately got screwed over by someone, and the hate for entire country start.

These members probably post 100% of their posts from their own home, and many still live with their parents.

Then you have the ones who have been here for ages, and have seen/experienced the good and bad sides about their new homeland.

A bit more balanced picture will soon be created.

Most of the Haters, TROLLS, screamers, fingerpointers, are normally members on TV who have been a short trip to Thailand one or 2 times, which probably included only bars.

Some also have been here a bit longer, bur unfortunately got screwed over by someone, and the hate for entire country start.

These members probably post 100% of their posts from their own home, and many still live with their parents.

Then you have the ones who have been here for ages, and have seen/experienced the good and bad sides about their new homeland.

I'm not to sure if your right Travel2003. Clearly there is no way to prove you (or I) right or wrong but I suspect many of these types just live unhappy/unfulfilled lives here in LOS worrying how they are going to buy the next bottle of Archa. Skip over the border once a year to get a visa without the required bank balance.

It's just a gut feeling after about 13 years posting here.

I'm not to sure if your right Travel2003. Clearly there is no way to prove you (or I) right or wrong but I suspect many of these types just live unhappy/unfulfilled lives here in LOS worrying how they are going to buy the next bottle of Archa. Skip over the border once a year to get a visa without the required bank balance.

Yeah, but luckily these people mostly live their lifes in the swamp called Pattaya, and do not know anything about isaan, not more than what has been said around the stonetable outside the 7/11..

Glegolo

Are you kidding?

Many Pattaya residents are experts on Isaan.

They get dragged there once, or twice a year by their missus.

Without exception, they all dread it due to the boredom.

+1. I think they are more locally 'home (village) grown.

True, with the exception of "lostinisaan" most posters are appropriate.

Which raises some eyebrows if a guy has got two usernames here.

Why can't you just leave me alone and NOT read this thread and please stop following me like a horny female dog to post your very intelligent words that never are of help for anybody who's asking for advice. ?

Or using other words: Mind your own god damn business, dude.

I'm in no way aggressive, but somebody else would just hit you on your nose and that's already the end of the story,.\

Are you kidding?

You do not seem to know much about this country, sir. I'm glad that we're not experts on Pattaya.

Without exception? Are you kidding? Please be aware that you're obviously in the wrong forum.

My wife was in Pattaya once when we made the mistake to make a holiday there. And please don't write anything bad about my wife now.

She's never gossiping about others like you. You could actually learn a lot from her.

Most Farang - Thai relationships have a starting point called Pattaya. There are Farangs, that realize that Pattaya is a "Freak-Show" far removed from reality and leave for the sticks. It appears to me, that this decision works out quite well for most Farangs.

But let's face it: Sometimes things don't evolve as expected. Worst case: Farang want's out of something that has turned into an "unpleasant situation." Only to realize, that by trying to get out of this "unpleasant situation" will usually mean a loss of invested money ranging from 100% to 50%. Such a loss. in many cases, would make it impossible to maintain a comfortable lifestyle for the Farang in the future.

Sometimes it may be the better solution to remain in this "unpleasant situation" =wearing some golden chains around the ankles, instead of.......

Fortunately, this is rather the exception than the rule. Isn't it?

Cheers.

"Most Farang - Thai relationships have a starting point called Pattaya."

Not true.

Most Farangs who start their relationship in Pattaya assume everyone has else made the same mistake they have.

It just makes them feel better about themselves to think that.

I have many friends here in Issan who's Thai wives have never been to Pattaya, some have never been inside of a bar.

And a lot of them still live with mom and dad in the age of 50......thumbsup.gif

This debate has been going on on the TV forum forever.

Some disagree it, but I honestly believe there are two different Thailands.

There is the westernized, fast paced, developed city Thailand in the south,

And there is the the rural, old style, relaxed Thailand in the north.

Most of us are well suited to live in one, and some in the other.

I am pretty familiar with both Thailands.

I love living in one, but do enjoy visiting the other from time to time.

There really is no question as to what Thailand is better.

They are both good in their own way.

The question is, "What Thailand is best for you?

It is not a competition.

Are you kidding?

You do not seem to know much about this country, sir. I'm glad that we're not experts on Pattaya.

Without exception? Are you kidding? Please be aware that you're obviously in the wrong forum.

My wife was in Pattaya once when we made the mistake to make a holiday there. And please don't write anything bad about my wife now.

She's never gossiping about others like you. You could actually learn a lot from her.

I agree. I dislike Pattaya, too..................just Isaan is even worse.

I think I am close.

Of course, there are variations.

wink.png

Of all the foreigners I have met in North East, there are not many who seem to have a miserable life.

Extremely few who slags off Thais or Thailand.

The vast majority I have met of "haters" have been in the more touristy areas of Thailand.

Have you any thoughts on Pres.Obama's visit to the region? What region?

The region is generally called South East Asia-a legacy of the British Empire, one presumes.

Pres. Obama of the USA has been in Vietnam for the last week.

Congratulations , one presumes correctly ,

British Empire ,introduced civilisation , education , health care etc, into the animal kingdoms,

I choose not to mention negatives , like religion , or politics ,

I like a game of chess, never met anyone here that plays, gave up books- the type got too small.

I too have the problem of the print getting too small. I hate to wear reading glasses trying to read in bed. THEN, I discovered Kindle. I can make the print whatever size I want. thumbsup.gif

I like a game of chess, never met anyone here that plays, gave up books- the type got too small.

I too have the problem of the print getting too small. I hate to wear reading glasses trying to read in bed. THEN, I discovered Kindle. I can make the print whatever size I want. thumbsup.gif

If you are over 45, then you need to go for lens replacement.

I used to have to wear reading glasses and then another set for distance vision.

After lens replacement, my sight is the same as when I was sixteen. It's also permanent.

Best money I ever spent.

Archived