Why You Seldom Find DELETED On The Isaan Forum.......

lostinisaan

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What has their dialect have to do with the subject? I don't know what they speak and I don't care. My Thai wife knows EVERYTHING so all I have to do is ask her what is going on. Quite often the village drunks try to talk to me and I just tell them that I don't understand. Usually a couple of them hang around my brother in law's small store. I avoid drunks, farang or Thai whenever possible.

after living in ubon for a few years then moving to a coastal town of @ 30 000 population, i can say that Issan sux when compared to Thailand.

<deleted> in Issan they don't even speak thai, they chatter away on Issan (LAO) and wait for their daughters to send another few measly baht back from some gogo bar in pattaya.

While 75% of the falang population are stuck in a house that they paid for or a struggling to survive on some crappy teachers salary and are simply to deluded to realise that they are merely existing.....not living.

why would any sane person relocate to a foreign country to live if they cannot afford to live a decent life ?

i have only met one falang teacher in thailand who makes a decent salary and actually was a properly qualified teacher ( home country university qualified), not some TEFL 5 minute language expert who mother tongue is not even english who can barely survive on the "salary" they receive, and they say how great their life is !

A few generalisations in there methinks.

I always think with posts like these, they say an awful lot about the poster, and the circles they move in.

Dont worry that guy is just a troll, sitting probably back home in Georgia, USA somewhere, and dreaming. Ubon R, do they really speak Isaan-lao there? I am not at all sure, but thought that close to the border maybe they speak Cambodja-Isaan....

Glegolo

I'd like to hear stories from other provincial expats living in places other than Isaan. Places like Mae Hong Son, Phitsan, or Ranong, or whatever (psst- not Phuket, bangers, patts, HH, CM, kinda done to death). Is it so different? Are you happy there too?

Lived in Ranong for a couple of years, great place.

When you think you can speak Isaan perfectly, you're already wrong. Once you're familiar with Sisaket slang, please drive to Mukdahan and try to have a chat with them.

They won't understand your mumbling, nor would you understand them. "Suup Buri" in Sisaket, while you "Suup Yaa" in Mukdahan is just one example you should know.

Even the Lhao kao is different in Mukdahan, only 30 %, not 40 %, which might cause some Sisaket Thais to drink more. Who cares?

I found myself in situations where I thought that some people were deaf, but later found out that so more closer you come to Surin, so more only Khmer speaking people cross your way.

Even in Kantharalak area is a school ( are schools?) where they only teach/speak in Khmer, while most of the people do understand some Lao/Thai, but of course not the high Thai, spoken by rich people.

But you don't have to be surprised by that, a little town only 2 km away from the city where I come from speak a slang where I'm completely left out and lost.

I've met quite a lot of German speaking people here and couldn't understand a word they're saying. In addition with the wrong sentence structure, the wrong tense, fragging everything wrong.But i prefer to not have a chat with people i don't understand.

And Germany belongs to a "more civilized country?" The "Der"( the -masculine), "Die" the- feminine) "Das" the- a thing, in English just the is often so wrongly used that it's already funny.

I agree with the one poster who's stating that life near a nice beach might be much better. But:

Once you've really settled down here, got your friends here, know where to go to when you've got a problem, know all the short time drive ins, live in a nice and cheap house with all the Western luxury many people are missing here, life's good........ Even on a teacher's salary.Trying to do the math now: facepalm.gif

We live in a nice place with a bathroom in the master bedroom for 4 K/month.three air conditioning units help us over the hottest time, 750 baht for fiber TOT, 1 to 2 K for electricity, 500 + baht for water, every day decent food, we mostly eat out, always enough money in the pocket at the end of the month, friends who come and visit, some BBQ that wasn't planned two weeks before.smile.png

A carport, completely in the shade, actually i could park three cars in the shade if I'd want to. POur son has his own room, I even got my own office, big enough to use it as a guest room, should more than one want to stay a night.coffee1.gif

The neighbors are more than cool, left hand side a lawyer, right hand side a cop, can't be better protected, can we?thumbsup.gif

Okay, I already had my pick up before I started teaching, but i never have a financial problem to fill up the Diesel tank. My wife works at a restaurant and makes some extra baht, even our son started an evening job as a waiter in a new opened restaurant. If we need something that's not on the list, we just buy it.

With the money we're making we're even supporting mom and dad in law, always bring food when we visit and it's great to be seen as a real member of the family, not a walking ATM machine on two legs. ( Okay one is an artificial, to be honest)sad.png

We have huge space around our house, a nice and big Teak wood table where at least ten people can sit in the shade, under a roof. Neighbors give us fruits, food and a nice smile and so do we.

I'm not bashing about the people who live in the hood, live and let live. We don't want to be part of the gossip and people accept that.WE're living in the city, but in a very quiet area where kids can play on the road, speed breakers help newbies to understand that we don't like racing cars here.

If I've got a problem with my car, I know where I can buy very cheap, but also very good parts, maybe a third, or less what Mitsu would charge. If some electronic stuff stops working, we go to see Laahn "Alhi", the best guy for such problems.

We know where we get great Thai food, but we don't like to take it home in plastic bags. Whenever we want to we go to a nice farang place that's relatively new. Only great people there, always a pleasure to visit them.

Okay, we don't have a swimming pool and have to drive a few minutes to get to the treehouse for a swim.

My wife and i are married since 15 years and we still love and respect each other. Of course does the OMS happen from time to time. ( Old Marriage Syndrome), but we always find a way(s) to agree and we'll never ever hit each other. ( As seen before at somebody's house..)

There're a few more points that would be worth to write down, but it's enough to understand why we are where we are and how we are.

We are not rich and we don't have to tell people that we are. But we have more than enough to be happy. And that's what it's all about.

I don't want to start thinking what such a house would be where I'm actually from, i don't want to freeze my arse' off, i don't want to live in a country where the taxes are higher than my monthly salary here.

And those who believe that all Isaanjeros are married to a bar girl are so wrong that it already hurts. But let people think what they want. Thoughts should be free and who gives a flying kangaroo if Khunxxx has a gik, or Mr. Farang yy slept with Mr. ggg's wife?

We don't give a damn about such things. Thank you for your kind consideration and please stop your Thai/Isaan bashing attitude. wai.gif

I found myself in positions where I thought people were deaf, then I realised that they were just pretending to ignore me so I'd go away.

Archived