Biltong (raw, Air-dried Spiced Meat)

Trevor

This is a great, healthy snack and convenience food. Relatively expensive in the UK, its sales are expanding as South African immigration, and general awareness, increase. Has anyone come across a sales outlet in Thailand yet?

Thinly-sliced air-dried pork, for cooking, is available in local Thai markets but I don't fancy raw pork. Beef, chicken or game meats would be fine though.

This is a great, healthy snack and convenience food. Relatively expensive in the UK, its sales are expanding as South African immigration, and general awareness, increase. Has anyone come across a sales outlet in Thailand yet?

Thinly-sliced air-dried pork, for cooking, is available in local Thai markets but I don't fancy raw pork. Beef, chicken or game meats would be fine though.

Trevor where are you located? If you are on Phuket come and visit me - I'll give you some biltong and boerewors. Have more in my deep freeze than I ever had back home in S.A.! :o

Chantal,

Thanks for your reply. I'm in Bangkok but would be happy to send you expenses for sending some boerewors (I like droerwors, is that the same?) via EMS.

PM me or telephone 089-795-3990.

Trevor

Hey Trevor - spoke to the hubby and he says living in Bangkok is no excuse :D Also to add insult to injury for your info 2 of my street cats (had to feed them some de worming tabs) and 1 street dog (the cats could not finish the pieces) had some left over bullies tonight. :o Wonder why people want to be 1 of my animals in their next life?

Seriously when I return from my Visa run early next week I will seriously see what I can do for you. Have a friend coming up to BKK soon.

Boerewors is not quite droer wors (had some but sorry already finished it) but we get our boerewors from my friend who owns Out Of Africa Restaurant in K. L. Going there for a couple of days and will get more boerwors. Already have 5 kilos but as you know that is never enough!

Used to buy 12 inch strips of it in Rhodesia many moons ago..............happy days. :o

I've seen it sold in small packs labelled as Jerky in Friendship (Pattaya) but i dont think its quite the same gear and expensive.

Yes, same same but definitely different :D

Used to buy 12 inch strips of it in Rhodesia many moons ago..............happy days. :D

I've seen it sold in small packs labelled as Jerky in Friendship (Pattaya) but i dont think its quite the same gear and expensive.

Yes, same same but definitely different :D

There is a form of jerky made in north east thailand, thinly sliced sheets of sun dried beef, very tasty and easy to make, thai friends in germany have been producing it commercially for a few years now, my english wife makes it to and it is popular with our aussie friends, :o Nignoy

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone finds a store that sells SA food in Bangkok then please PM me the details...

I'm desperately missing my Biltong, droerwors, boerewors, koeksisters, melktert and Ouma rusks. I wouldn't mind paying a premium for these items.

It's not raw though.There is a little place in CM that does fantastic sun-dried pork.It is marinated in soy and garlic and left in the sun to dry.Very bloody nice. :o

If anyone finds a store that sells SA food in Bangkok then please PM me the details...

I'm desperately missing my Biltong, droerwors, boerewors, koeksisters, melktert and Ouma rusks. I wouldn't mind paying a premium for these items.

Norrad

A Thai friend of mine living in K.L. with her S.A. husband has mastered the art of making biltong. She uses spices from S.A using the traditional methods of making it and really tastes good. Her name is Nok and she can be contacted via email: [email protected] Khun Nok can send it from KL to Bangkok as quite a few people order from her there. I think the mailing costs alone are around 1400 baht per kilo.

She is presently on Phuket and has out sold her biltong to a restaurant in K.L. called Out of Africa (owned by some other friends of mine - which by the way, if you ever go there - really make an effort to visit them). Nevertheless Nok will be back in business late next week.