Steel Frame Structure in Udon

slipperylobster

Looked at Shipping Containers, and decided it would be too costly to rehab them...especially after having moved them from Bangkok to the Udon area. I need one for storage. I am also considering utilizing one as a guest room..(actually for my personal use, on a farm).

Question is....Are their any companies in the Udon area that could just build a steel frame (10x20X8ft)? It might be more cost effective to have a frame put up, and then I could just add sliding doors/windows/and hinged panels (that would swing up and be secured..in order to lock it up tight, for long absences). I don't want a finished product...seems much too expensive. Just the frame. I would slowly outfit it myself...piece by piece.

Main thing would be that it could be placed on a flatbed and moved...as required. I saw many possiblilities while searching on the web....for using such a structure. Anyone who has been to Huay tueng Tau reservoir in Chiang Mai..might have seen the one being utilized as an office. Could eventually be sold as a transportable business (cafe/coffee shop/office/guest room....etc).

Just a project (in my mind). Not interested in shipping...I want something made locally, either in Udon or Khon Kaen area.

Perhaps others have checked into this. Basically...could work on the prepared frame myself...as a hobby. I have no work permit...so probably would just hire a local to do the actual job.

There is a good medal worker in Yang Talat that could probably build you one, if you can speak Thai to explain what you want. If interested PM me.

My wife is pretty savvy on what I need. We have a source for a finished container (60,000 baht)...which I did not expect to find. That is in Bangkok. They remove rust and paint....but I would have to inspect it before considering buying. Also would want to only put a down payment, and the rest upon satisfactory delivery.

After finding out total shipping/delivery and setup....I will pm you..should I decide to have somebody build one from scratch..instead.

I am quite excited about doing this..as it would handle our requirements for a secure place, which we could lock up tight while we did our extended traveling. Might even put the car in there. Once in place, lock down with high security padlocks...to deck and doors. All in a secure location on the wife's farm.

Going to build a deck double wide and a bit longer (for a "toilet facility). On return to this area, would drop side, move everything out...connect aircon...and have a make shift..bungalow.

Would be interested if anyone had input on this idea...or has already done this.

There is a good medal worker in Yang Talat that could probably build you one, if you can speak Thai to explain what you want. If interested PM me.

My wife is pretty savvy on what I need. We have a source for a finished container (60,000 baht)...which I did not expect to find. That is in Bangkok. They remove rust and paint....but I would have to inspect it before considering buying. Also would want to only put a down payment, and the rest upon satisfactory delivery.

After finding out total shipping/delivery and setup....I will pm you..should I decide to have somebody build one from scratch..instead.

I am quite excited about doing this..as it would handle our requirements for a secure place, which we could lock up tight while we did our extended traveling. Might even put the car in there. Once in place, lock down with high security padlocks...to deck and doors. All in a secure location on the wife's farm.

Going to build a deck double wide and a bit longer (for a "toilet facility). On return to this area, would drop side, move everything out...connect aircon...and have a make shift..bungalow.

Would be interested if anyone had input on this idea...or has already done this.

Hope this link complies with forum rules http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3288365/The-container-village-migrants-oiling-Thailands-economy.html OR check any link that reads ''The container village migrants oiling Thailand's economy''. There are more sites available if you search for them ......

Hope this link complies with forum rules http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3288365/The-container-village-migrants-oiling-Thailands-economy.html OR check any link that reads ''The container village migrants oiling Thailand's economy''. There are more sites available if you search for them ......

not quite that style...(think you got the wrong idea there). more like this...lol. It will be insulated, outfitted with sliding doors/windows, paneling....and tiled floor. All this on a beautiful deck, properly landscaped. The exterior would not present the original appearance.....but would be covered with lattice, plants, lighting....drop down panels, television mountings.....deck furnishings...minibar....etc.

a bit over the top.....but everything folds in for storage.....deck swings up and locks.

Not the tenenment housing you sent the link for. These things are quite popular in Northwest canada now....big bucks.

3256f-457a9-37985-49532-10e92.jpg

not quite that style...(think you got the wrong idea there). more like this...lol. It will be insulated, outfitted with sliding doors/windows, paneling....and tiled floor. All this on a beautiful deck, properly landscaped. The exterior would not present the original appearance.....but would be covered with lattice, plants, lighting....drop down panels, television mountings.....deck furnishings...minibar....etc.

a bit over the top.....but everything folds in for storage.....deck swings up and locks.

Not the tenenment housing you sent the link for. These things are quite popular in Northwest canada now....big bucks.

3256f-457a9-37985-49532-10e92.jpg

No faux pas on my part --- just a little British humour. Anyhoo, I only know the North Eastern side of Canada -- nice car in the pic all the same

There's a neat little coffee shop in Kanthararom on 226 to the west of Ubon made out of large shipping containers. It looks good with large windows along the front, covered patio and landscaping.

We think it is a viable option....sturdy, long lasting, and can be made secured.

Just a hobby thing....but useful for many things..such as storage, businesses, small guest area...etc.

High cost for the finished product...if done in bangkok. They are scooping in 180,000 for a finished container...all wired and paneled and painted. Not really an option..unless we found one that was previously ordered and used. (delivery is 20,000 of that)

Our goal is 150,000 for a finished until...delivered...if it is all wired, painted, floored, insulated...and fitted with sliding doors and windows.

Bottom line....looks like we will start with a frame. Saw many metal frame knock downs in Phetchabun last month....they looked quite good...and were finished up. Not quite what I wanted though....as they are roofed and sided with wood, porches..etc. Not the secure/portable unit I am looking for.

Metal frame based on a real container will be the way our project will end up.

There's a place immediately next door to Homepro......looks like they do container conversions......or build similar like structures for a small office or shop. I'd guess their prices are on the high side........but you might be able to get some ideas from them.

There's a place immediately next door to Homepro......looks like they do container conversions......or build similar like structures for a small office or shop. I'd guess their prices are on the high side........but you might be able to get some ideas from them.

Thanks...am going to look at that today.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived