Walking Street & Khaosan Road believed to be targets of ISIS in Thailand

webfact

I agree with the gentleman who said thet Pattaya or WS is too open and the entrance to Nana would be perfect .30-40 full bars at Xmas or new year what a target???

As they will only knock out the dross who gothere maybe they will aim at a higher quality of target- Silom- or River hotels??

Let's pray they don't but I feel that maybe Zeitgeist was maybe correct.

Now you are even guessing there plan of attack

Jesus mate

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm taking this one with a pinch of salt. I find it hard to believe that ISIS gives half a toss about Thailand.

ISIS gives a toss about Russians, and other westerners, and since Turkey and Egypt are off the cards for Russians Thailand is an easy target for them.

BBC earlier said Thai response is to increase security at embassies. Typical. I'd deputize the ladyboys. They can feel you up before you have a chance to brush them away. "Is that a suicide vest or are you just glad to see me?". My pick would be one of the upscale shopping malls. Or if aiming to get Russians, and all you can eat buffet.

I have a suggestion to the Thai government. Create a phone line in English Russian and Arabic for people to call in with reports on suspicious activity.

Is that a joke it must be

I have just seen a Arab with a suit case is that suspicious enough to ring them

Bangkok took issue with ISIS calling Paris 'the prostitution capital of the world' and made up some 'leaked memo'.

The memo is real.

So you know more than the government?

Read the BBC report where they have a quote from Thai police admitting the memo is real.

Bangkok took issue with ISIS calling Paris 'the prostitution capital of the world' and made up some 'leaked memo'.

The memo is real.

Read the BBC report where they have a quote from Thai police admitting the memo is real.

From the BBC report.

A deputy spokesman for the Thai police Songpol Wattanachai confirmed the memo was authentic, but added: "So far it's only intelligence news that still needs to be proved... we have no proof if they are here for real or not."

Fundamentalists and extremists of any designation are dangerous. I have worked with a few in the past and there is no argument that anyone can produce that will make them think differently. The problem is that they can be very intelligent and one has to work hard to reveal their true nature. They don't value life like the rest of us and sometimes I wondered if they give life any value at all. While most of us have self preservation has part of our character maybe they don't and that makes it hard to infiltrate such organizations. You have to find someone who thinks, feels and can behave like them in every way yet be against them. Not many of us around like that I think.

Some posters feel that Thailand is not important enough to be on the IS list but, imho, I think they forget one thing. Since IS, and like, boast a 'military type group' then they need to train just like other soldiers and countries like Thailand can be used like a 'field training' exercise for trying out different plans of attack. Such attacks can also be 'bait' to reveal just how police and the military handle such affairs. Our strength against the IS etc. is that they will never succeed in their ultimate endeavor. So chin up lads the Earth won't stop spinning so carry on, carry on with a smile.png in the LoS.

From BBC report

"A deputy spokesman for the Thai police Songpol Wattanachai confirmed the memo was authentic, but added: "So far it's only intelligence news that still needs to be proved... we have no proof if they are here for real or not."

so we are going to form a committee and "mull" the possible responses until an incident happens which proves that the intel is correct. Mean while we will issue instructions for all enforcement agencies to step up their effort to actually do their jobs....

The memo is real.

From the BBC report.

A deputy spokesman for the Thai police Songpol Wattanachai confirmed the memo was authentic, but added: "So far it's only intelligence news that still needs to be proved... we have no proof if they are here for real or not."

Do you read what people say before responding?

I said the memo is real. It is.

The text you put in bold refers to whether or not 10 Syrians are in country in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya.

The memo is about them and is still real.

From BBC report

"A deputy spokesman for the Thai police Songpol Wattanachai confirmed the memo was authentic, but added: "So far it's only intelligence news that still needs to be proved... we have no proof if they are here for real or not."

so we are going to form a committee and "mull" the possible responses until an incident happens which proves that the intel is correct. Mean while we will issue instructions for all enforcement agencies to step up their effort to actually do their jobs....

Last week they closed Brussels for 3 days because there was intelligence that ISIS was gonna strike there. You heard any explosions in Brussels?

Fine the memo is written on real PAPER, but that doesn't mean the content is real, as highlighted by the Thai police.

The memo is real and you implied I was wrong to say this.

I never said the threat was real, but the authorities concern about it is.

The war on Islamic terrorism has been going on for nine years. But I see the terrorist outfits and the incertitude of the general population having gotten worse since the crashing of airliners in the twin towers.

I would like to see changes for the better, but I think that the wrong measures have been taken.

So far Saudi Arabia's "universities" keep producing hundreds of imams every year which makes that the indoctrinated Muslim youth keeps growing by the thousands every year. The fight against terrorism is not a conventional war. It is a war against indoctrination, against those wretches that forsake their humanity for the sake of keeping "religious purity" and who think that they can kill a guy and go to heaven.

Until one sees Saudi religious schools closed for good, and hard questions being asked to Saudi Arabia, the main exporter and financier of Salafi terrorism, there is no hope.

We should not be complacent. Remember Bali and Tunisia? Tourist spots would seem to be a prime target for them as people are too busy enjoying themselves to take stock of the situation.

Any attack that kills westerners is a bonus for them irrespective of the country attacked. I don't frequent such spots much now but, as I mentioned in another post, the sight of a Muslim woman in her full regalia in Nana Plaza did make me think. That is one place I surely will avoid - crowded, only the one narrow exit and tallish buildings to contain the blast.

Be vigilant I.m sure I am not the only one to have noticed that possibility.

Fundamentalists and extremists of any designation are dangerous. I have worked with a few in the past and there is no argument that anyone can produce that will make them think differently. The problem is that they can be very intelligent and one has to work hard to reveal their true nature. They don't value life like the rest of us and sometimes I wondered if they give life any value at all. While most of us have self preservation has part of our character maybe they don't and that makes it hard to infiltrate such organizations. You have to find someone who thinks, feels and can behave like them in every way yet be against them. Not many of us around like that I think.

Some posters feel that Thailand is not important enough to be on the IS list but, imho, I think they forget one thing. Since IS, and like, boast a 'military type group' then they need to train just like other soldiers and countries like Thailand can be used like a 'field training' exercise for trying out different plans of attack. Such attacks can also be 'bait' to reveal just how police and the military handle such affairs. Our strength against the IS etc. is that they will never succeed in their ultimate endeavor. So chin up lads the Earth won't stop spinning so carry on, carry on with a smile.png in the LoS.

Yes u are right on the last bit ISIS is like a mosquito bite compared to what Russia can do to Western countrys

and we face the real threat of creating a biger conflict with Russia by bombing ISIS, there is so much confusion in Syria with different agendas and 78 different groups

what's going to happen after we have finished bombing them, we will want different things look at what happened to Germany that was divided up for years and helped to create the cold war what nearly led to a nuclear world war

look want happen last week a NATIO country shot down a Russian plane

Get ready to paint your windows white and jump under the kitchen table

I'm taking this one with a pinch of salt. I find it hard to believe that ISIS gives half a toss about Thailand.

That might be so, but I would take notice that they’d plan to take out as many Westerners in Thailand as they could. And they likely wouldn’t be thrilled about the wretched extremist Muslim conflict in the south, either.

Huh? What? Wait... were we just not told that there is NO IS threat in Thailand?

Oh well, no worries, as I avoid both Walking Street and Khao San Road like the plague.

My guess is that places like Patong, Nana and Soi Cowlboy will also be prime targets.

Places like the BTS, CTW, mainly Russian occupied condos and hotels, Bumrungrad? The list is virtually endless, and it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. If ISIS can hold off the French police, think what they can do here. Let's hope this fades back into rumor and a week from now it's all forgotten.

Archived