Microwave/oven combination - possible? good Idea?

Supaluke

We've broken the microwave.

Thinking about buying another a microwave but toying with the idea of buying a microwave/oven combination, that is if they have them here? Apart from the usual uses for a microwave, we just want to bake some cakes, hence the thought about a oven combo.

I read the topic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874603-table-top-oven-good-or-bad/ and some good info there.

Is there any microwave/oven combinations that are relatively cheap, but reliable?

We are in the Bangkok / Bangna area.

Ideas on models, prices and place where you can buy them/bought yours.

Thanks

Luke

I have an LG microwave that can grill, it was about 3,500 from Makro. I sometimes buy pizza bases from Foodland and make pizzas - it does grill but is obviously not the same as an oven.

The Electrolux microwave/oven combo linked to above looks very good, I've never tried one. I'd like to test one but for 8,000 baht, I'd be tempted to buy a separate microwave and an actual oven. You can get decent microwaves for 1,500-2,000baht and pretty large counter-top ovens for 2,500-3,000. My reasoning would be the cost of repairs - I'd be wary about expensive repairs. I've always found that electronics are almost written off when they fail in Thailand due to the cost of repairs (ie it's better to replace than repair).

I have an LG microwave that can grill, it was about 3,500 from Makro. I sometimes buy pizza bases from Foodland and make pizzas - it does grill but is obviously not the same as an oven.

The Electrolux microwave/oven combo linked to above looks very good, I've never tried one. I'd like to test one but for 8,000 baht, I'd be tempted to buy a separate microwave and an actual oven. You can get decent microwaves for 1,500-2,000baht and pretty large counter-top ovens for 2,500-3,000. My reasoning would be the cost of repairs - I'd be wary about expensive repairs. I've always found that electronics are almost written off when they fail in Thailand due to the cost of repairs (ie it's better to replace than repair).

My concerns also, but I buoyed by the comments MJCM that the product is durable.

Appreciating all the comments thus far.

Please add more if you can.

• Like 1

Warranty Type: 1 Year
  • ขนาด 30 ลิตร
  • กำลังไฟ 2,500 วัตต์
  • ทำอาหารได้ 10 โปรแกรม
Choose Variation
Variation 1
7,987 ฿
Before 12,990 ฿,
You save 39%

Promotional price above is applicable as per 7/12/2015

SOLD OUT

Warranty Type: 1 Year

• ขนาด 30 ลิตร
  • กำลังไฟ 2,500 วัตต์
  • ทำอาหารได้ 10 โปรแกรม

Choose Variation Variation 1

7,987 ฿

Before 12,990 ฿,

You save 39%

Promotional price above is applicable as per 7/12/2015

SOLD OUT

Just seen that 2. But it's just an example as to what is available.

Sorry if it's not available but I have one (bought already a couple of years ago) and I like it (for what's it's worth)

:wai:

I've had a Sharp "Perfection" (model R988P) microwave, double grill and convection oven for 7 years and it is absolutely great........easy to use and clean and includes some preset menus and recipes.

Can't fault it and would def buy again if it comes to it.........but would suspect my model has been superseded by newer models now.

Great concept and works well for me.

• Like 1

I have a combination microwave, top grill and Convection oven. Works great it is in the catalogs at Home Pro but not usually in the selves.

My second on, had one brought from Europe for 10 years, found another here but different brand.

• Like 1

I had two sharp micro/convection/grill combos before leaving UK and can't praise them highly enough. I would love to be able to buy a similar one here but all the ones I have seen are smaller so sort of defeats the purpose of the convection bit.

I have a Samsung combo microwave/convection oven. Works fine. I use it for all my cooking and regularly bake wholemeal bread and make cakes and biscuits and pizzas in it, all from scratch.

It's got a Sunday joint in it now as I type and once that is done a Yorkshire pudding wont be far behind.

The only possible drawback I can see is that it isnt very large and it would be hard to cook for more than two people with it. As I am just one person I really dont care!

• 2 months later...

In the UK I have a Whirlpool Microwave with convection oven. It's one of the higher-spec JetChef ovens with a pull down (front loading) door as oppose to side opening (swing open) door. Panasonic also do these front loaders and they have built-in inverters for better microwaving.

One of the things to look for when buying is to see how high a temperature the convection oven can actually reach. Look for at least 200 deg C with the better ones being able to go upto 220 deg C.

These appliances are able to function as pure convection ovens without any aid from the grill or microwave.

I can cook cakes, biscuits, roasts, etc., in my JetChef oven and the results truly are "oven cooked" and I'm very happy with this appliance.

Within Thailand I'd look at the Panasonic ones with built-in inverters and stainless steel clad interiors.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

combined oven not good but they can save your space. if you dont have space problem then buy separately. i have used 3 combined oven but they died after few years. now i m using sharp micro oven and Miyako Grill separately. They are running for last 5 years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ananna84 said:

combined oven not good but they can save your space. if you dont have space problem then buy separately. i have used 3 combined oven but they died after few years. now i m using sharp micro oven and Miyako Grill separately. They are running for last 5 years. 

Cost range?