Buying '70's Honda CB twins to restore

Bung

I'm looking for places to buy 1970' era Honda CB twins to restore as a fun project as well as getting my teenage son experience swinging spanners. Hes keen on building a cafe racer out of one.

Ive seen a few come up on websites like Kaidee, many in good condition. These were sold here in large numbers before the advent of mass scooters. CB 125, 175, 250, 360 and 450. All have green books, not big money (the cb175 pictured is 65000 and looks pretty good), parts are easy to get (an ebay search reveals a lot of the nos parts offered are from Thailand). Simple and fun bikes to restore or cafe race that will be reliable and hold their value.

I'd be very interested if anyone knows any for sale in Chiang Mai. I see most in Bkk and would be ok with taking a trip down there to buy one or two and some parts so any leads of shops there would be appriciated. I'd love to find the shops that sell the nos parts on ebay.(I know i can send them a message through ebay)

I'm mostly looking for complete bikes to restore with green books. Just figured it would be good to start buying some now and take them on one by one over the years as i believe they will be harder to get and increase in value. I'm ok with paying a dealer premium for good examples, im sure there are shops in bkk that have a few in stock.

Cheers.post-22617-0-53106200-1449609722_thumb.j

So, do you want one to restore or one to chop up for a cafe racer or a premium good example?? It's not clear from your post.

Since you're willing to buy 2 bikes and seem to have enough money, I would get one like the one in the picture for immediate use and collectable value, and another one that's in bad shape to work on with your son. Great idea, by the way!

I've bought 2 classics through kaidee at a decent price. Also check out thaiscooter.com, there's a classifieds section just for vintage Hondas.

Good luck

They're quite an interesting era in Thai motorcycling. At first all there was were British and german bikes in Thailand (both fetching crazy prices now) then it was these small japanese twins (which the japanese happily followed on from the predominant british twins of the time) then the japanese started making scooters which we still see today.

They were sold here from dealers perfectly legal, I always see them with green books which is attractive to me and I'm only interested in bikes with green books.

I'm open to any condition, the main pre requisite being that they are original and complete. Re chroming is doable but replacing whole parts can get expensive.

Thinking of a cafe racer, you can make them look great without chopping anything up, just add clip ons, rear sets, a single seat and remove the mudguards. Oh, and a loud exhaust of course! Most modifications are reversable but if i find a good one I'd keep it original.

post-22617-0-90783600-1449658645_thumb.j

Ive see a few CB 175 for sale, i think these were a popular seller here. Theres always a few of the late 60's Benly's but im not that keen. I like these early '70's examples. I remember when they came out and i would ride my bicycle down to the dealer and check them out, my face pressed up to the window. I also like Yamaha XS 650's for the same reason.

I saw an immaculate CB 360 with only 25000klm on it in chiang mai. I turned around, parked and had a look. I motioned to the guy in the cafe if he would sell it, he just smiled haha.

It'll be fun hunting for them anyway. I'm definately contacting the guy about the blue 175 when i get home.

Head out of town crossing Narrawat bridge in CM and there are several shops on that road. Best one is (or at least used to be) about a mile down or so. The engines looked like they had just been manufactured. I doubt they will have proper documents though, although they will likely claim that. Those are classic bikes and would make a fun project.

Im going to have to take a visit around the shops in chiang mai. Trouble is you tend to pass them but as you can't take your eyes off the road here for a second you never get a good look!

I was looķing at vespas a while ago and found an original rallye 200 in bits under a tarp. Guy wanted over 200k for it though....

Those were/are great bikes. Unfortunately, most (inc me) kids at the time thought all the CB's were old mens bikes. Nobody young rode them, everybody wanted Suzuki GT 250/380's, Yamaha RD 350/400's, Kawasaki KH 250/400's et al.

Agree, I had one from each group that you mentioned.

Yeah, my RD 350 (teardrop tank) was the first bike i had after passing my test. I loved that bike, foolishly sold it after a year and a bit and 17k faultless miles for a newer RD 400 (coffin tank) which was nothing but grief. Sold that to a dealer in exhange for my first big 4 stroke - a Yam XS 650, again another bike that never let me down in excess of 15k miles. Sold that and brought my Triumph. The rest, as they say, is history...

My first big bike after passing my test (in Australia we were restricted to 250cc for a year) was a 1976 Kawasaki z900, purple with airbrushed murals and a bottle opener bolted to the forks. I've never owned a cb twin yet.

Here's a CB360 in Phitsanolouk. Looks well used but complete. Judging by the stickers on the tank some old fellas had it for years. Probably selling it as it's completely shot but i am very keen on a 360 and has a plate so possibly a book. Not too far from chiang mai, will give it a call.

Shame its that same blue and n9t the sunburst orange i love!

post-22617-0-24949900-1449797413_thumb.j

From the days of well made bikes. Didnt they do a 360 automatic. Now that would be a find.

Jeff I think it was a 400,late 70s. Was a fat slug.. I bought the 250 version big mistake ,all the other jap bikes were much better ..

Well made bikes ? Umm take your rose tinted glasses off I think .lol..

Do'nt forget a lot of the older bikes may well have the plate and green book, but no annual road tax paid for several years. On change of ownership, this must be paid, and all back dated. Over 10 years no tax paid can sometimes be problematic. Good luck, keep us posted on any good finds.

That's a very good point! Years of unpaid road tax will add up and will be something I'd have to check before buying.....best would be runners people still use.

0.5 baht / day for my van.

Don't think it's higher for motorcycle, unless it's nonlinear over time.

Have a look at the little Hondas I saw at the last Vintage Bike meeting in Kanchanaburi a few weeks back:

http://omega-racer.blogspot.com/2015/11/10th-vintage-bike-meeting-in.html[/quote

Shame I missed you,myself and an Aussie friend(he's got 6 BSA's) didn't arrive until nearly dark on the Saturday. Thanks to about 6 breakdowns,all on one bike. Mine was misbehaving as well,but just made it and then the clutch finally went.

Meant up with a Thai friend,who took his 2 T100's and his 350 AJS,also his friends had another 8 bikes between them. And they kindly lifted my bike onto the FIL's truck,for the ride of shame home to Kanchanaburi. But that's part of the joys of classic biking :-)

I'm back next year,hopefully with my T100c totally rebuilt,as its been striped down to the bare bones now.

Thanks for some great photos,but not enough of British bikes!. Yes I'm a Brit ;-),sorry if its off topic,but what a great evening.

Ride safe

Just read Omega Racer's Blog on that Kanchanaburi do. What a fantastic do! I've gotta go to the next one! Christ, not only the old BM's, but a Norton Manx, Sportster motor in a featherbed frame, Triton, Ducati singles, and all those old bikes i never even knew existed over here. And i've lived here 12 years. Fantastic! Again. And those old Yank trucks. And. And...

ps great website too.

Please let us know well in advance when the 2016 show is on. I'd like to go too!

I live in Kanchanaburi and will do my best to find out next years date,I will probably stay nearby(there's lots of resorts and camping in the area).

Very surprised to find out that even other local farang bikers don't know about this show,but I only found out this year.

It's actually called the Vintage bike Thailand,it cost 200B per bike to enter. And no problem from the Police if your bike hasn't a green book or even a number plate,there's an exemption for this show.

post-99099-14500095161116_thumb.jpg

I been going for 3 or 4 years now. I never get tired of looking at those beauties.

The only thing I get tired of, is the very loud Thai music. This year there were 3 separate stages, all blasting out music at the same time. A nightmare!

So, unless this kind of noise pollution is your thing, book a room somewhere along the river. Don't wait for the last minute, as they are soon full.

You'll find nice resorts further up the mountain, too. When I rode there at 7am on Sunday, I didn't see any bikes parked outside. I think they would make for a good option in case the resorts leading up to the dam are all full.

The last few years the meeting was held in the middle of December. This year they did it on the 21st of November.

Archived